Refrigerator - Another &^%$ing Error Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerator - Another &^%$ing Error Code

I raised some eyebrows here 3 years and 2 months ago, talking about buying a refrigerator that cost WAY too much. Like 3 times too much. But that's what Unit wanted. There it is. A refrigerator. A mighty fancy one, at the time at least. They've gotten much smarter now, the refrigerators. They can even show you a picture of what's inside them, and make an electronic grocery list for you, whatever you're running short on.

About a week ago the thing stopped making ice. A bit of in-house troubleshooting, pull the auger bin out, the part that feeds the ice through a hole in the door like rich people have, the ice maker was caked over in ice like somebody poured a bucket of water on it. So, per all the recommendations we could find on the internet, melt all of that with a blow dryer. Put towels all inside it to contain the mess. Did that.

Ice maker still doesn't work. And today, this morning, there was a power "bump." The quickest on-off thing imaginable. Just enough to make all the clocks flash in the house. So I'm going around re-setting them all and there's the brainiac display panel on the fridge. Error code. Flashing E 14 something or another. Mocking us.

Worse, that whole dang thing was shut down. The fridge was no longer even running. Screw this, let's just go get a new one, a cheaper one, a REAL simple one like everybody else has. So we did, and we got back home. Delivery in a week. But the stuff in the fridge and freezer is thawing. Like, ongoing.

For whatever reason Unit got on the internet again and researched the error code. It was an ice maker error code. Yeah, no shit. So, to reset that unplug the fridge for 20 minutes and then plug it back in and then go through this diagnostic thing on the display panel. Heck with unplugging it, I threw the breaker for it in the garage. That worked just fine to get to the diagnostic screen. She did her learned magic and the thing started working again, the fridge part of it at least. Forget the ice maker.

Quick, cancel the purchase at the store for the new fridge. That's not easy to do. I've never cancelled a brick and mortar purchase before, and they're making it be as difficult as possible. Stop payment on the credit card is a brick wall. Unit's is running this whole transaction. As of next week, we'll have two refrigerators - a brand new one and one we have no confidence in.

Sue's on the phone. I've never un-purchased anything big before. She swears it's possible to do that. She's working mighty hard on it as we speak.
    Last edited by pdub; July 30, 2018, 02:10 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I hate ice makers. Ours is possessed as well. During the winter, if you leave the maker on, it will jam the tray full of ice - to the point the auger won't work. During the summer, just enough hot air gets through the ice chute that it starts it dripping in the tray. Of course, the second it hits the door, it refreezes (never mind the blatant denial of the laws of thermodynamics). Once it hits the door, it waits as some lurking iceberg for the moment when there's a cat's hair leak - then it floods the kitchen floor. I'd have Office-Spaced it long ago, but my wife keeps talking about how she loves ice cubes. I have a retort, but fortunately, I don't say it outloud - as evidenced by the fact that I'm still alive.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

We didn't expect to spend this day that way, although trouble with material things was obviously looming. This morning I smiled at Unit and said, "Material things." She said, "Yes, but material things that are essential."

I think there's a hotrod reference in that somewhere. Somewhere.

Comment

Buy the new one, sell the questionable one as a handyman special.
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
          We didn't expect to spend this day that way, although trouble with material things was obviously looming. This morning I smiled at Unit and said, "Material things." She said, "Yes, but material things that are essential."

I think there's a hotrod reference in that somewhere. Somewhere.
          Material things, yep. I've come to the conclusion that s#$@ happens and for the most part you can't stop it, you're above ground and doing ok, don't fret about it.
          ​​​​Don't let it get your BP up just smile and say " it figures " and then just handle what's been laid in your lap, that's what I've been doing. I've quit worrying about it!
          Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
          If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

I can TELL you where the hotrod thing comes into play......remember the WHOLE problem with Bluebelle is an error code???? That got me thinking about the error code on the fridge......clear the error code, maybe restore the ability to run....just like it did for Bluebelle. Works so far, minus an icemaker!

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post

Material things, yep. I've come to the conclusion that s#$@ happens and for the most part you can't stop it, you're above ground and doing ok, don't fret about it.
              ​​​​Don't let it get your BP up just smile and say " it figures " and then just handle what's been laid in your lap, that's what I've been doing. I've quit worrying about it!
              The dadgum REFRIGERATOR spit out an error code and quit working. Whatever happened to a cooler to keep the beer cold in? What did our ancient ancestors do before they even knew what ice was?

It's insane, what slaves to technology we have all become.

Comment

Our icemaker quit about two years ago.... went and bought the countertop ice maker from the store.... at Sean's advise, ordered new filterunit for the water that goes in the fridge... didn't know that they put one inside, was still using the one in line in the basement...anywho, replaced the filter, and voila, it started working ,,,, something about when the filter plugs up, it can't get water through the valve to make ice... who knew...
                Last edited by silver_bullet; July 30, 2018, 05:40 PM.
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                  Buy the new one, sell the questionable one as a handyman special.
                  Paint "Mopar" on it, call it a factory mark, advertise it for 10x retail, sell to David Freiburger, change phone number, win!
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 30, 2018, 06:16 PM.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Let it be known....everybody already knows it. We have named every car, we have even named the riding lawn mower. "Junior." Everything at our house has a name.

So, let's name that refrigerator. The one from hell, the one that cost as much as a 30-second TV commercial during the Super Bowl. An expensive pile of crap. Let's name it. I have no idea, no suggestions. Very open to suggestions. More than open to suggestions. Just sayin.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	115315iAE875109779DAB0E.png
Views:	45
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1210531
                      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	115315iAE875109779DAB0E.png
Views:	45
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1210531
                        WOW. That's pretty darned steep. That'll make me back off a bit...

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                          let it be known....everybody already knows it. We have named every car, we have even named the riding lawn mower. "junior." everything at our house has a name.

So, let's name that refrigerator. The one from hell, the one that cost as much as a 30-second tv commercial during the super bowl. An expensive pile of crap. Let's name it. I have no idea, no suggestions. Very open to suggestions. More than open to suggestions. Just sayin.
                          pita!
                          Patrick & Tammy
                          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

Paint "Mopar" on it, call it a factory mark, advertise it for 10x retail, sell to David Freiburger, change phone number, win!
                            You'd have to figure out how to make it leak oil, first.

Comment

Daughter has an ice maker.. Always spits out 2-3 cubes AFTER I pull the cup away..
                              Didn't work one day.. Guess they pulled it out to clean behind and kinked the copper line.. No flex hose or anything in the system!

Comment

Working...
                              X