Work Smarter, Not Harder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Smarter, Not Harder

There's so much tree crap in our back yard after that storm....I've been thinking about this. I actually dreamed about it last night, rolling around in bed. That's when you know something current is really on your mind.

I went out there yesterday, surveying the scene. That's nearly all I did, survey. That's a whole lot of stuff for old tired folks to get rid of. Where we live, if you put something out by the street, they'll come get it, take it away with their equipment. No matter what it is, unless the dumpster divers get it first. But dumpster divers typically are not attracted to tree parts.

What I DID "do" yesterday was to take a hand saw out there and see how hard that would be to cut the biggest piece of that thing into sections. I know what will fit into the city's rolling dumpster, that's too long to fit. Hand saw....try.....cuss...huff, puff, abort. So I went to the great and enormous effort to get the extension cords and the circular saw out and stretched all of that stuff out across the yard, risking electrocution. This a VERY old circular saw, not even a three-prong connection on the end of the cord.

Success. Demoralized the evil giant tree part, after rolling it around and cutting it from three directions with the saw that is meant to go through a 2 x 4..

So, what I slept on, I can use Junior the Riding Mower and a rope to drag the parts out to the street. The hell with moving all of that stuff out to the street by hand, that's too much needless effort. And yes, we have even named the riding lawn mower, so we must very well be cursed somehow.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I dreamt I took my dog to a museum and they gave me a squeaky toy shaped like a clown.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

In your dream, did the dog help you clean up the yard? Please send him over here.

Comment

Lessee... Have Sue use her artistic skills to make you a sign for out front, "Free Firewood" see what that does....
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
          Lessee... Have Sue use her artistic skills to make you a sign for out front, "Free Firewood" see what that does....
          Well, the whole job is about 91% complete, sans all the loose debris. The tonnage is all out by the street.

I started out really ergo scientific, let's use the wheelbarrow to save some physical effort. I put one or two really long branches in there and...one foot and tip over. Two feet and they spill out. I got so pissed off I threw the wheelbarrow about ten feet, which used up a whole lot of the energy right there. Just get ahold and drag the crap, like our ancestors did.

And Junior the Riding Mower did a great job tugging that great hugest big piece on a rope. That was the whole top of the tree, it made a bucket-sized hole in the ground when it hit, coming straight down.

I'm not gonna be able to move for quite a few days. I already can't move. Why don't I ever just learn to hire somebody? Too stubborn, I guess.

Comment

While I was out there in the yard, there was a remote chance to meet our new neighbor. Yep, the doctor sold the house and was gone so fast we didn't even realize it. New neighbors. I'm guessing about 30 years old with rug rats.

So I'm out there, making as much noise as I can in the yard on Sunday morning before it got too hot to do anything. He was standing on his deck. With his cell phone. About 20 feet away from me. I was in our yard, a wooden fence between us. I kept looking over at him, he was intently staring at his phone. He wasn't about to look up from that damn phone. NOW is the chance to meet your neighbors when you just now moved in.

And THEN is when I messed up, now thinking about it later. I SHOULD have hollered, "HEY Neighbor!" But I didn't I didn't say anything and he never looked up from staring at that damn phone.

I told Unit the story and she said, "I guess that's all we need to know about our new neighbors."

Comment

Walk over as nd let him know his fence is on your property. He'll get real friendly .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                Walk over as nd let him know his fence is on your property. He'll get real friendly .
                GYAH!!!!!! Wow, Dan you're a genius! I'll keep that in my pocket for later use, yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                  In your dream, did the dog help you clean up the yard? Please send him over here.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I should have referred to the title of this thread before this morning... I got up at 4 and took tammy to work, returned home, and started manually breaking concrete with a bar and sledge . Pickup load of concrete rubble out and forms in the hole.... taking tammy to lunch, then leveling, expansion strips, and mixing/pouring/finishing....hopefully before dinner...
                    BTW I'm smoking a ham for dinner....
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I bought a 30 (thirty) -inch carbide-tipped saw blade off CL to build a giant cutoff saw to help take care of our tree problem. It's a big problem, there will be at-least a thousand cuts through foot-thick eucalyptus trunks to turn them into firewood and I ain't doing it with a chainsaw nor is whomever I hire by the hour. Maybe this winter. Meanwhile one little branch I cut down six months ago is still sitting there waiting for me to chop up, I dislike that kind of work so much.

Comment

Eucalyptus are a PLAGUE. I had a landlord that the city donated two Dwarf Eucalyptus to for his property with two cottages. Turned out they were actually GIANT Eucalyptus. Years later they were 8 stories high, visible for blocks. The roots trashed his foundations, the sidewalks, the curbs, EVEYRTHING. Leaves had all three neighbors up in arms, being creosote laden and flammable. Cost him THOUSANDS. Destroy the Eucalyptus NOW or get an ARMY of Koala bears to put them in check. Giant Alien WEEDS!

Edit don't be so sure about usefulness as firewood because of the creosote.
                        Last edited by RockJustRock; July 28, 2018, 12:41 PM.
                        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post

Edit don't be so sure about usefulness as firewood because of the creosote.
                          Creosote. Ewwwww, my daddy nearly burned our house down (magnificent chimney fire) because he had been burning pine in the fireplace.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                            Giant Alien WEEDS!
                            No kidding.

Burning in a wood stove (we heat the house that way) seems to not have the creosote problem that fireplaces do, it gets really hot in there and maybe that helps. Euc as a firewood has life stages, first it's too green to burn (unless the tree was dead of-course), then after a year or so it dries out and burns really good like hardwood or oak, then if it's still just laying around it rots into powder so there's no point in cutting up a bunch that you're not going to use in time.

Dead eucs get really hard and are a bi$tch to cut. The neighbor across the road just did a couple last year, I've never heard more -F- words come from one guy...

Comment

Looking around it needs to be split as soon as it is cut and then aged 18 months.

MORE Eucalyptus, please!

Click image for larger version

Name:	where-do-koala-bears-live_fa99b44e-1d1e-4a49-89b5-251bb9026b88.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1210393
                              Last edited by RockJustRock; July 29, 2018, 07:46 AM.
                              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Working...
                              X