No announcement yet.

The Bizarre Road Trip Itinerary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, we keep learning more about Sweet Home Alabama and the Coondog Cemetery. It turns out, in FACT, it was the same cemetery we visited that was artistically recreated on an empty lot!! That is why the setting was different. For more, click here....
    Includes more than 80 then-and-now photos, slideshow, and a video of the filming locations stitched in with scenes from the Sweet Home Alabama movie.
    Last edited by sueunit; July 18, 2018, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Hollywood took some artistic license with it though, it isn't the same tree statue at all!

Comment

Just so you know , I saw the links but its bed time now .
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Right now I'm skeered of Alabama. I read a story about people expecting to go there to boondock in a full featured RV park and finding a place people threw their poop in an open trench, YIKES!
          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

We did one of these trips one time . There is a movie called " Best Man in Grass Creek " , we saw it and the movie was ok .I saw they actually as lily filmed in Grass Creek , Indiana. So we went up there on a Saturday. Basically they did wonders with what they had to work with . The film came out in 1999 and at that time bbn there was a grain elevator and as empty store . That doesn't meet my qualifications of a town . (Gas station or store , post office or a town hall , ) It was fun tracking it down but not going 2/3s the way to Michigan. I think it was near Peru ...........Indiana . That other one is in the southern hemisphere.
            Last edited by Dan Barlow; July 19, 2018, 03:42 AM.
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Day trip when I was 16 was to start at grandfolk's house in Falls City, hit the gravelled road out of town (5 miles from the farm now) and over the Coast Range. Came out at the coast.. Saw the house Paul Newman and Henry Fonda lived in in the movie Sometimes A Great Notion.. That was an alll day trip dodging logging trucks, was dark when I hit the coast so a quick burger and highway trip home.. 1 hr on asphalt.

Comment

At our house we no longer need a legitimate reason to "go," but having an excuse or a least a vague destination is a good working plan, too. That way you can say if you "made it" or not.
                Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

And what's wrong with a trip to see the World's Biggest Ball Of Twine? Or even better, Pioneer Village in Nebraska - I guarantee there is plenty for both you and Sue Unit to take in there.

Dan

Comment

Bucket List? Plus 49 more states.....

The best Tennessee oddities and offbeat attractions, road trip and vacation recommendations from Roadside America's writers and experts -- museums, statues, roadside stops, odd buildings, weird folk art.

Lotsa things named "Rusty".

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post

Lotsa things named "Rusty".
                      Rock, you're not just a rock, you are a gem. I've asked you already, please stop calling me Rusty.

We've done a lot of the things on that short list in this area. I've done Memphis, Beale Street, years ago, but as far as the Lorraine Motel is concerned, anywhere in Memphis is a great place to get shot these days.

In this immediate area we've done the Incline Railway, Rock City, Ruby Falls....The Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga is a GREAT ticket. It really is, when folks come to see us and want to "see" see something nearby, that's where we'll take them. AND they have an IMAX3D theater. It's a "seen it once already thing," but it really is very cool.

The Lost Sea, it's up the road a little ways but that's the only draw in this area we haven't done and we won't. Only because the locals poo-pooh it. They say don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Rock, you're not just a rock, you are a gem. I've asked you already, please stop calling me Rusty.

We've done a lot of the things on that short list in this area. I've done Memphis, Beale Street, years ago, but as far as the Lorraine Motel is concerned, anywhere in Memphis is a great place to get shot these days.

In this immediate area we've done the Incline Railway, Rock City, Ruby Falls....The Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga is a GREAT ticket. It really is, when folks come to see us and want to "see" see something nearby, that's where we'll take them. AND they have an IMAX3D theater. It's a "seen it once already thing," but it really is very cool.

The Lost Sea, it's up the road a little ways but that's the only draw in this area we haven't done and we won't. Only because the locals poo-pooh it. They say don't bother.
                        I still say Pidgeon Forge during a Rod Run. Two Birds with one stone, so to speak....

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post

I still say Pidgeon Forge during a Rod Run. Two Birds with one stone, so to speak....
                          Pigeon Forge is like Myrtle Beach SC without the ocean. So crammed with stuff you can't even get through there. Not our style at all.

Comment

We took highway 32 from I40 to 321 and ran the backroads into Gatlinburg, then to Pigeon forge...We didn't like Pigeon forge much either... just slept and ate there, visited an antique auto museum, and pushed on...that was 2007 on our first big road trip in the Bullet....the back road run was a blast!
                            Last edited by silver_bullet; July 19, 2018, 06:52 PM.
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Pdub - Don't forget a trip to the Auburn-Cord-Deusenberg Museum in Auburn, IN. It's AMAZING! V12 Guy volunteers there and if you can connect with him he can arrange a behind the scenes tour. The building is AMAZING - even if there were no cars in it it would be worth the trip. ME and I stop in whenever we're around that part of the country.

Dan

Comment

One of the road trips we've taken was back to South Carolina, to visit for a few moments with our friends on the lake where we used to live. Tommy and Evelyn. They're great people, older than us, they were retired before we ever even moved into the neighborhood.

Sue Unit got on the phone with them today, they yakked for hours. That's what longtime friends do, catching up. Sharing gossip, whatever.

Tommy had something new (to us) when we were there. A rat rod pickup truck with a 383 going on. Straight pipes. He's working on it....that's his latest thing. He had it under a tarp. I wanted to see it. Well, he wanted to crank it for me. I was getting my fingers ready to stick into my ears, this is gonna be loud. It turned over real healthy and happy, but it never cranked. He ran the battery down trying to crank it. He was perplexed and real disappointed - "It cranked last week."

During the phone call today Tommy told Sue, "Tell peewee the truck was out of gas when y'all were here, he'll know what I mean." HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                Last edited by pdub; July 21, 2018, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X