Street Legal Mini Bikes In The 60s and 70S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Street Legal Mini Bikes In The 60s and 70S

Brian keeps running the street legal go cart thing. Anyone remember or HAVE a street legal mini bike back then? There was a Mini Bike magazine (of course!) and SoCal was supposedly over-run with 'em. Had to keep them off the freeways though. Mainly Honda CT70s. I saved my paper route money for the Bonanza BC1500 SH but chumped out for a Herter's at half the price. When it showed up they had substituted the street kit for the garden tractor rear tire so I was an outlaw. I was the man because I had the Tecumseh instead of the Briggs!
    Last edited by RockJustRock; July 10, 2018, 08:44 PM.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Not quite on topic, but a friend of mine in the neighborhood back then had a Heathkit minibike with a two-speed transmission and a huge by fat rear tire. That think would haul ASS on the trails. But no, it wasn't street legal.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

A lot of Mini Biking was Price vs. Promotion vs. Value. Very important when allowance and paper route money was involved. Kids that got Heathkits got them because Daddy was weird and liked to build his own TVs and Stereos for MORE money than just buying them. So if a mini bike was Heathkit it MUST be good, price be damned. About that time belt drive Torque Converters took over the Minibike world for a lot of good reasons and the Heathkit got left behind. Rupp kicked Lil' Indian's ass then Daddy getting a Snowmobile and Three Wheelers took over.

But yeah, the rise of off-roading of all sorts killed the pavement Mini Bike AND Go Kart.

Comment

See the source image
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Wow, had to Google THAT. A 1971 Trailhopper. By '71 the minibike thing was nearly dead, but nobody told Suzuki. Yes it has a license plate bracket, something I didn't even consider when starting this thread in the wee hours. Also the fact that there are a TON of people collecting and riding mini bikes out there, not just talking about them like me.

. Click image for larger version  Name:	QIx6xOZUOOoJc5HtLmm2mg-smallw.jpg Views:	1 Size:	66.0 KB ID:	1208446
          Last edited by RockJustRock; July 12, 2018, 11:13 PM.

Comment

You did hear that Honda is reviving the monkey bike, right?
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

All KINDS of activity around the Hondas, yes. Including dozens of clones from China. Alas, no longer street legal though.

Comment

Here Ya go...Street legal: http://minipocketrockets.com/super-pocket-bikes-x19/

http://powersports.honda.com/2019/grom.aspx
                Last edited by silver_bullet; July 13, 2018, 05:23 AM.
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                X