No announcement yet.

Medium/Heavy Truck People.... Gliders.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medium/Heavy Truck People.... Gliders.

Last edited by Monster; July 8, 2018, 01:39 PM. Reason: Political website link removed ~ Monster
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Gee..... they aren't biased at all, are they?
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

If you guys want to discuss Glider trucks, that's fine ... but bringing the politics into the equation and a link to a political website is a step too far.

Comment

I could care less about the content of the article. Actually I was thinking of Glider based car haulers based on the new loophole. Only reason for the article is most are not aware of what a glider is and it explains it well, if in a caustic slanted manner. What happened, happened, won't be reversed for a while, anyway. A few thousand really cheap medium to heavy duty trucks won't kill too many seagulls.
        Last edited by RockJustRock; July 8, 2018, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
          Only reason for the article is most are not aware of what a glider is and it explains it well.
          Well, I can help you out there;

"Glider kits are brand new trucks, but without an engine or transmission. This category of truck was created so manufacturers could salvage parts from older trucks, or parts from those damaged in accidents. However, older engines adhere to older pollution standards." - Umair Irfan on Jul 8, 2018

Comment

Yeah , I bet nasvistar has a bunch of used trucked that failed smog and they got them back they would love to sell th as t way . Just off lease used gliders!
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I grew up in a small town with no less than 5 trucking companies. Gliders were the norm. Seem like most times a wrecked truck would come in from an on the road incident, and a glider would be put in with the old trucks running gear to make basically a good newer truck.
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Well.... Where I was going. Since hauling a car and spares is relatively light, how about a drivetrain from something else that the crew is familiar with? The utility of SIZE with an economy of scale?

Or people with the means and HONESTY to rebuild the drivetrain RIGHT?
                Last edited by RockJustRock; July 9, 2018, 10:07 AM.

Comment

We never seem to see a figure what the total environmental cost of building a new vehicle is so we can figure that in to the mix of replacing an old one with new before it's time is up. From the heat to make the steel to the electricity to run stamping presses or machining, to the fuel cost of shipping components between factories and the employees coming to work...in our petroleum-based society nearly every activity that earns a dollar has energy use (= resource depletion, carbon etc. emissions) in there, and new vehicles equal a lot of dollars. Not political, I just wonder what the actual facts are so they can be included in decision-making. I suppose it's politics that get in the way of that info, any time I go looking I just seem to find a lot of opinion and spin...at the core, we should be able to say what exactly is the total cost in energy to put a new car in your driveway or truck on the road, along with how much the vehicle is expected to consume itself in normal use which is put right there on the window sticker. Then if you're doing something like putting a new motor in an old body or in the case of the glider thing, vice-versa, you'd be able to work that out as well.

Anyhow...

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                    Well.... Where I was going. Since hauling a car and spares is relatively light, how about a drivetrain from something else that the crew is familiar with? The utility of SIZE with an economy of scale?

Or people with the means and HONESTY to rebuild the drivetrain RIGHT?
                    It could easily be done! I seem to remember a gentleman back in the seventies who, ran a stock class W30 cutlass 442. His support vehicle, for lack of a better term, was a C30 Chevrolet ramp truck powered by another W30 engine, with a BOP Turbo 400... It even had a trolley rail on the rack above the engine Bay so the engine could be pulled out of the truck with support from the truck and placed into the 442...
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Well, I can help you out there;

"Glider kits are brand new trucks, but without an engine or transmission. This category of truck was created so manufacturers could salvage parts from older trucks, or parts from those damaged in accidents. However, older engines adhere to older pollution standards." - Umair Irfan on Jul 8, 2018
                      seems backwards.
                      Any gliders I have looked over in class A or 7 whatever your locale calls big rigs..
                      they come with new motors, frames, cabs..
                      you need to put rear ends and suspension, set the weight category yourself.. even change front axle to oblige
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

This thread has been interesting, because most of us are doing just the opposite........we take old relics and put modern drive trains into them..........
                        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                        X