Toyota Supra to Become New NASCAR Racecar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota Supra to Become New NASCAR Racecar

I read about Toyota bring back the Supra model, which I like that idea, and it's to be their entry in the NASCAR racing series. However the race version hasn't a single piece of stock sheet metal on it. It will be a composite body. So I ask what happen to STOCK in stock car racing? Also the race version will run TRD racing engine which no one can get in any of their street models, the article mentioned that the street version will be power by a BMW 6 cly engine. That sounded strange! As a kid growing up in the deep south I fell in love with NASCAR racing. One could easily inter racing by going to local junkyard and buy a wreak car and turn it into a race car and not spend millions of $$$ to do it. Now the current France family have run NASCAR into the ground and looking to sell the series.....my guess is Big Bill France has flipped over in his grave by now.
    Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
    The older I get The Faster I was!

So I ask what happen to STOCK in stock car racing?
    That ship sailed almost 50 years ago, OK?

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

The first Supra's were just a lengthened and widened Celica, but the 3rd generation A70 Supra in 1986 was badder-asser with their CT26 turbocharged 7M-GTE engine, which contained 4 valves per cylinder and dual overhead cams. This distributor-less engine used coil packs sitting on the cam covers and a cam position sensor driven by the exhaust camshaft was rated at 230 hp at 5,600 rpm.

Comment

And where is the Wrestling in Professional Wresting? It's all about the drivers and sponsors.
        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
          So I ask what happen to STOCK in stock car racing?
          Since Stude didn't address your question, I'll have a crack at it ... at some point, the desire to win (greed) resulted in some cheating and it went downhill very quickly from there. How's that ?

Comment

Spec racing. At least they keep coming up with relevant and improved spec platforms unlike.... cough, cough, NHRA.

Comment

Since I don't know anything and my ignorance is most of what I actually enjoy, I'll say that I was under the impression that you could just keep the same purpose-built tube frame and change that thing from a Chevy to a Ford (or whatever) with some new body skin, a new appearance profile. Oh, and some different stickers on it.
              Last edited by pdub; July 7, 2018, 08:28 AM.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
                I read about Toyota bring back the Supra model, which I like that idea, and it's to be their entry in the NASCAR racing series. However the race version hasn't a single piece of stock sheet metal on it. It will be a composite body. So I ask what happen to STOCK in stock car racing? Also the race version will run TRD racing engine which no one can get in any of their street models, the article mentioned that the street version will be power by a BMW 6 cly engine. That sounded strange! As a kid growing up in the deep south I fell in love with NASCAR racing. One could easily inter racing by going to local junkyard and buy a wreak car and turn it into a race car and not spend millions of $$$ to do it. Now the current France family have run NASCAR into the ground and looking to sell the series.....my guess is Big Bill France has flipped over in his grave by now.
                Big Bill has flipped several times I would guess.... I think their only hope, i would like to think, is to adopt something along the lines of the Australian Supercar Series... or it has been also tossed out there about something along the idea of stadium trucks on asphalt with jumps to up the ante... with the country's buying tendencies, I dunno....Stock SUV racing?
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

Stock SUV racing?
                  That would be a rollover fest, fun to watch.

I have to admit, I was so bored I actually DID watch the whole race where Rock posted the video of the fantastic finish. There was literally nothing else worth watching, but those last couple laps were very cool. The downsized grandstands were maybe.....be optimistic....maybe 1/3 filled with fans?

If it (NASCAR) is supposed to be a money machine, they're bound to have to be hitting the ATM quite frequently to keep the lights on at Headquarters.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

That would be a rollover fest, fun to watch.

I have to admit, I was so bored I actually DID watch the whole race where Rock posted the video of the fantastic finish. There was literally nothing else worth watching, but those last couple laps were very cool. The downsized grandstands were maybe.....be optimistic....maybe 1/3 filled with fans?

If it (NASCAR) is supposed to be a money machine, they're bound to have to be hitting the ATM quite frequently to keep the lights on at Headquarters.
                    Drivers, sponsors, NO cars. What else would you expect? One race a year should keep ANYONE up to speed on the sport once you go spec. What driver won this week vs. What car and team won this week.

They're so far ahead of NHRA cutting back to 5 liters. Now cut back to 6 cylinders N/A, 4 cylinders turbo, STOCK BLOCKS, RWD conversion allowed but NOT mandatory..... screw it, allow AWD. DUMP a ton of rules and watch the road course records FALL while oval races get SAFER again.

Chipmunk motors ARE the future, look at F-1!

Comment

A team with a special combo dominates, FUN. Jimmie Johnson in a spec car dominates, YAWN! But Kyle Busch.... too bad there AREN"T 31 more like HIM!

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                        But Kyle Busch.... too bad there AREN"T 31 more like HIM!
                        He's a show alright, love him or hate him, he's a show for sure. Ya gotta give him that. And you're right, 42 more and they might be able to draw a crowd, but probably not. It's a dead horse already.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                          Since I don't know anything and my ignorance is most of what I actually enjoy, I'll say that I was under the impression that you could just keep the same purpose-built tube frame and change that thing from a Chevy to a Ford (or whatever) with some new body skin, a new appearance profile. Oh, and some different stickers on it.
                          You're learning.... it's really close to that, except for the fact that now, they're allowing more tech into it as they change the rules.... that's the problem... they change the rules more often than a single guy changes his socks... I understand, a stock SUV might be a rollover fest, but, consider the handling characteristics of the cars that started it all in the forties...
                          not such a stretch, is it?
                          Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Here's an interesting article on how and why Nascar lost Stock from auto racing:
                            A great man once said, "There's nothing stock about a stock car." We tend to agree as the cars in NASCAR today are obviously related in name only to their showroom counterpart, but it hasn't always been that way, has it? We take a deeper look to learn when stock cars stopped wearing stock sheet metal.

I think they need to take about 50 years back and see what happens....
                            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

consider the handling characteristics of the cars that started it all in the forties...
                              not such a stretch, is it?
                              No, it's not a stretch at all. It would be like starting over all over again. But times have changed, kids expect instant gratification from the thing they have in their hand, and they will not sit still long enough to watch cars go around in a circle over and over again. Every sport needs a future fan base, and NASCAR has even lost their "past" fan base..
                              Last edited by pdub; July 7, 2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X