Inept at a Whole New "Level"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inept at a Whole New "Level"

I've carried on here before about a lawn sweeper. You tug it behind the riding mower and it tosses the grass clippings into a bin. One of the best most-hated lawn tools in the world, right up there next to the weedeater. Love it, cuss at it.

Well our sweeper, the one we have now, it's been getting more and more useless as time has gone by. I was having to go crawl speed, anything faster would sling the clippings all the way over the top of the bin and I'd have to go around for another pass. There's that and when the yard is just the slightest bit wet it would drag the wheels and carve the yard up and not sweep at all.

It must be time for a new one, they don't last all that long. Northern sent me a catalog and there's another one just like it. Exactly like it. The same one. DANG I hate putting another one of those things together. All of the customer reviews are true - "Great tool, but it's a royal pain in the ass to assemble." And it for all the world IS a PITA to put together.

Crew Chief Unit said, "Why don't you go figure out why it's doing that?" It's been plaguing me all summer. Just throw the thing away, I'm tired of it, it pisses me off.

So today just now I did finally go out there and look at it.

There is an adjustment. The brushes were set way too low. I was using the adjustment handle to push the thing around to park it, and the handle was moving.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sweeper.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	1205890

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Hot rodded lawn sweeper....

...OK HAHAHAHAHAH
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

When I was a kid we'd just let the clippings turn brown then rot. Mow when it was a bit dewy and they'd clump up like pet doodoo. I think the neighbors complained once because we had a plate on the mower outlet. Then we had to mow at full throttle and the governor would go wide open too. Tiring and our hands were all tingly. So we'd let it go as long as we could between mows. We'd destroy mowers, the wheels would always break off. People would ask how our lawn stayed so green and thick we'd all just look around and shrug. Just the intellect we all shared. A few feet of snow every year equalized things as well. Lotsa times ALL the leaves were left there so our snowmen always had spots. Barely mowed rarely raked. I never want a lawn.
      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
        I never want a lawn.
        When ours looks the worst in the entire neighborhood from driving around looking at them all, when it looks like nobody has even been home for a few months, I'll cut it. I don't know how many times I've said I wish we could just sell the yard and keep the house.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Think about it.... Trim the bushes once a year.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&t....0.F8H5waaiz3A

Damn, those pics just keep coming!
          Last edited by RockJustRock; June 20, 2018, 04:07 PM.
          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I think I'd just rather go south western style....rock garden and be done with all the grass work AND allergies.
            And my particular crux is the water maples in the adjacent yards....yes, I have to remove the trees from my gutters every spring.
            We are working on a solution as this is being typed.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
              I think I'd just rather go south western style....rock garden and be done with all the grass work AND allergies.
              And my particular crux is the water maples in the adjacent yards....yes, I have to remove the trees from my gutters every spring.
              We are working on a solution as this is being typed.
              Ring of copper nails?
              If it overhangs your property line, most places allow you to trim up..

Comment

Screw it. Pave it. Then you have more useful parking, too You could do that mosaic brickwork and make it pretty, even.

And if you figure out how to get it past the wife, PLEASE let me know. If I ever pave my yard, I'm sure to be buried under it....

Comment

My yard at the lake house looked like a golf course. And took the same work as one. The new house in Wichita has a yard.........if it weren't for crabgrass I'd have no grass at all. I'm liking it!
                  After having lived in the desert southwest for a number of years, I can tell you that 'desert landscaping 'isn't what it's cracked up to be. The rocks quickly get filled with dirt, and make a wonderful seed bed for weeds. Much harder to keep un-green...........
                  Last edited by oletrux4evr; June 22, 2018, 07:46 PM.
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                    Ring of copper nails?
                    If it overhangs your property line, most places allow you to trim up..
                    Helicopters know no property lines.

EDIT: helicopters is our term for flying/floating seed pods, they resemble helicopters when they fall
                    Last edited by 68scott385; June 22, 2018, 10:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                      My yard at the lake house looked like a golf course. And took the same work as one. The new house in Wichita has a yard.........if it weren't for crabgrass I'd have no grass at all. I'm liking it!
                      After having lived in the desert southwest for a number of years, I can tell you that 'desert landscaping 'isn't what it's cracked up to be. The rocks quickly get filled with dirt, and make a wonderful seed bed for weeds. Much harder to keep un-green...........
                      I'll take your word for it. I lived in Odessa, Tx for a few yews, if it didn't rain and you didn't water the lawn, everything was dead anyway. Rock gardens were just becoming an item then. They looked cool but I never had one, never watered the grass either, so the lawn working was kept to a minimum.
                      My lawn here has been town up, dug up, etc. so many times that if it wasn't for weeds there would be no green. One time, a few years ago, I thought I'd be slick with the weed killer and grass seed. After the entire yard went brown from the weed killer I said screw the grass seed. I just don't have the time for that kind of landscaping. Others talk about over-building for the neighborhood, that would be over-landscaping for the neighborhood.

Comment

Mowed weeds here. We have a service that chops it all to a uniform height periodically with zero effort (or allergies) from me. This work Just Fine! Now if I could just keep the shrubs from getting any bigger therefore requiring trimming.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                        X