67-72 chevy truck cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 67-72 chevy truck cab

Why is it that no one reproduces the cab for the most popular old truck on the planet .You can buy everything to build a 55-57 chevy car , 67-69 camaro , 67-68 mustang and model A and T fords . Why is no one grabbing this market ?
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Fiberglass?

My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I forgot to nicks the supposed race only fiberglass cab .
      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

US Body has been making fiberglass '67-'72 trucks for 20+ years. I priced their stuff in the mid-'90s for my '67. Too bad I don't have a time machine......
        Pretty sure they have stuff that's streetable for most of their product lines.
        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

I know they would be fine on the street , I'm sure it's just a legal loop hole . But I do want steel and I really don't want to have to cut out rust and weld in new . But wow 6 grand for a plastic cab !
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
            6 grand for a plastic cab !
            Nuts ...

Comment

because Scott Ligett can post pictures of rows of those trucks at junkyards, with decent usable cabs.

Gotta wait until the supply dries up a bit more, I think.
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Scott could probably find you a decent donor and when you're serious I'll start looking around here. There is good raw material in our area, too, though not much in salvage yards so I'll have to look a bit harder.

Dan

Comment

It's a long range plan . One of the brother in laws is planning a route 66 trip in 3 years He's taking his never restored (yet ) really nice survive 66 caprice and has invited a few other couples we all know to go . He would like it to be all old cars like 66 and back but that is a little rich for me . I could go back to 67 in a truck and he'll just have to deal ........ or I'll crash the party with a 92 Vette . It is a public road after all !
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                    One of the brother in laws is planning a route 66 trip ... in his really nice survivor 66 caprice and would like it to be all old cars like 66 and back.
                    I get it ... Route 66 in a '66.

Comment

I know several places that would probably have a nice cab to start with but welding would be required I'm sure. They are out there though you just have know where to look.
                      My 71 all factory sheet metal never wrecked. 3rd owner I got it with 80,000 on it. Ive owned it now 32 years.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	71Upgrades.jpg Views:	1 Size:	129.3 KB ID:	1205863
                      Last edited by Andy4639; June 20, 2018, 10:08 AM.
                      Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

It comes down to in 67-72 there were a LOT more farmers than real car guys now. A lot of farmers had wives and kids so a lot of trucks got driven sparingly. Trucks used to be JUST a cheap, big, heavy, bad handling base for a project car until people trying to make money from used cars "discovered" them. A LOT more people NOW trying to make money off used cars than farmers, even then. Dan's got a good point, the junkyards should run out soon. Then people trying to make money off used cars can demonstrate how well you can LOSE money on a project car, particularly one with too many aftermarket pieces in it.

Not sure a plastic truck could ever catch on.... How could you slam the door real hard knowing it was plastic? But I thought a truck made out of recycled beer cans was a bad idea, silly me...

I can see the future ad. "Our trucks are built TOUGH from VIRGIN aluminum because we care about quality or recycled because we care about the planet".

And Trade Tariffs
                        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                          because Scott Ligett can post pictures of rows of those trucks at junkyards, with decent usable cabs.

Gotta wait until the supply dries up a bit more, I think.
                          This^^^^^^^^
                          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I could sell you this one! It needs a few things though!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4554.JPG
Views:	1680
Size:	388.3 KB
ID:	1206003
                            Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

For someone to go through the heavy expense of reproducing such a thing, they have to see prices for good originals go very high and believe there will be a continuing market once their re-pops flood in. Nobody wants to make a big investment in something that's not going to pay off and provide a profit in time, apparently the trucks are not there...yet?

I was sure ready to build a '67-72 once, acquiring three of them in short order maybe ten-plus years ago to combine parts from, but they sat and one guy bought the best two, I think the other went to scrap. A '67 small-window dually was going to be the thing, still kinda wish I'd done it.

Rust under the front of the roof and in the cowl and rocker areas is a killer, even out here it's a problem you have to watch for.

Very nice truck, Andy 4639! Not many longbeds around that look that good.

Here's a pic of a center console I built for a guy's '72 a while back as a side project:

Click image for larger version

Name:	center console.JPG
Views:	2315
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	1206021

Comment

Working...
                              X