Transmission Inquiry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
    Don't go all Carl Sagan on me Pdub.....I know, there could be billions and billions of treasures located in podunk salvage, err...gently used parts yards....Who knows, you might be the blind squirrel that finds the nut!
    This nut has sure had one heck of a lot of fun with it. It's been an adventure at every turn, every step of the way.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

No solutions here, just motivational information....

My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Just leaving this here.....

Comment

Now that I am digesting what I've reaped I'd say get an axle from an automatic car and running it out in fourth looks GREAT. Better gas mileage too. Always a concern in a supercharged sports coupe at 140+. You're so sour on that fifth gear anyway, just forget Ford put it there.
          Last edited by RockJustRock; June 20, 2018, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
            You're so sour on that fifth gear anyway, just forget Ford put it there.
            It's not unforgettable in that last quarter mile after it took so much effort to get there on purpose and to do that because it is fun. There's more fun to be had. That's what it is.

Comment

He says he's shifting into overdrive at 144 at redline so something isn't jibing. Maybe the factory Tach is off. Not unheard of in the name of warranty service. A nice big AutoMeter would look Racy. Was this checked with Dyno Man?
              That is the number for 5th gear at 140 MPH.

Comment

Pee Wee, put a 9" rear in it and gear changes will come easy...that is the best solution when changing types of driving and racing you want to do.

Some really bad ass center sections can be bought for a reasonable amount of money.

Comment

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post
                  Pee Wee, put a 9" rear in it and gear changes will come easy...that is the best solution when changing types of driving and racing you want to do.

Some really bad ass center sections can be bought for a reasonable amount of money.
                  I would say that but he has a LOT tied up in his brakes that might not fit.

Comment

I would say that but he has a LOT tied up in his brakes that might not fit.
                    Roger that. And the brakes make simply changing wheels a mountain. Not hardly anything will fit.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Roger that. And the brakes make simply changing wheels a mountain. Not hardly anything will fit.
                      Merely proper mounting bracket solution..

You can make a bracket to mount on your floor jack to lift the 3rd member..

Comment

I have, someplace, a really excellent spreadsheet that lets me plug in not just gearing formulas, but also power and torque figures, and then play with them. I saw a dyno sheet someplace in here, so I can use that to fill out that portion, and the rest of the specs are here too, I think. There's a couple that I can't guess at though:

-Are you having traction problems? I'd assume rolling into the throttle just off idle in first gear will light the tires up at some point, but where (it's hard to watch the tach to know where the tires are breaking loose!), if you have any idea? Does it have traction in second gear, assuming you're shifting gently but you're in the power?

-Do you have a decent differential unit in there? I mean, if you're gonna take it apart (or have it taken apart), you may as well do it right the first time and plop a really good unit to hold that ring gear in place.

If you change the rear gear to a numerically bigger one, any traction problems you've got in first are going to get significantly worse. May even spread to second gear, or higher! So the question is if you want a useless 5th gear, or a useless first gear(s). If you go numerically lower, you'll really make the car leggy, though it'll feel lazier in a given gear vs what it's like now. So what's the point of the car? Standing mile? 1/4mi? Roadrace? Heading to a LONG track on salt? Trying to get more use out of 4th by making it carry longer may be the right answer, but you'll make 5th even that much more useless on the highway at cruise.

It's also still going to nose over when you go into 5th, no matter what. The stupid gear spacing is because Ford had to hit MPG targets, so it cruises with no RPM. I mean, what kind of nutter really needs to keep accellerating hard when they're already going 140?

It will likely be after the weekend before I have time to sit and plug in all the numbers and post it. If you are up for a challenge and have a copy of Microsoft Excel (part of the Office suite) installed, I believe the link to a copy of the spreadsheet is here, You'll need to look up the Cd and frontal area of the car, and you MUST enable macros within your copy of Excel when it asks you to. It seems to require scripting, so it won't open in Open/Libre Office, unfortunately. (Not all of this is directly at you, Pdub--it's a good and useful tool for everyone, so I figured I'd kinda explain to the whole class.) If you try the spreadsheet, don't be afraid to tweak the environmental variables to make it match reality--my tire friction is usually well above 1.0, for example. It has a bit of a learning curve, but it's part of my toolchest when I'm planning out gearing for the dragstrip on the bike(s), and has actually helped me knock quite a lot of time off my times, by making changes the "wrong" way--hint, you don't want to be pulling too far past the power peak on a dragstrip. You can also use it to work out the best shift points for a given engine/trans combination--hint, you always want to maximize torque at the ground, period; nothing to do with redline or anything else. If you gain torque at the ground, you shifted too late. If you lose torque at the tire, then shift at redline (because the ideal point is higher than redline someplace).

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
                          I mean, what kind of nutter really needs to keep accellerating hard when they're already going 140?
                          Land Speed does, ha, ha, ha ... Pdub's into LSR (standing mile) and believe he said he was retiring from road racing.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
                            If you are up for a challenge and have a copy of Microsoft Excel , I believe the link to a copy of the spreadsheet is here, You'll need to look up the Cd and frontal area of the car, and you MUST enable macros within your copy of Excel when it asks you to. If you try the spreadsheet, don't be afraid to tweak the environmental variables to make it match reality
                            I can't wait to watch peewee's head explode when he tries any of this ...

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

I can't wait to watch peewee's head explode when he tries any of this ...
                              You won't have to SEE it, you'll be able to HEAR it

Thanks so much Andy B. That's.....lemme see .....well...lemme see. I want to conjure, not real science like frontal area, but just from a gearing standpoint alone.... if the rear end become a 3.73 and keep the existing shitbox gearbox with the overdone overdrive, what speed would I be going at 6400 RPM in the existing 4th gear and what would the RPM be at that speed going into the existing 5th gear. That shift point right now is where the magic ends. That's what I'm after.

And the Crew Chief is already shaking her head, "Red's already GOT a transmission." .....That's right Sweetheart, but he didn't usta already have a blower, too.

Comment

Working...
                              X