Transmission Inquiry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Cool! You can buy dinner! Perkins of the Greek place (they have "normal" food too)?

Dan
    Whatever whichever you want my Friend. The 93 pump gas for Red is just over the interstate bridge in front of Lowes. It's all right there. Not a whole lot, but it's all right there.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

The friendship is thanks enough.... I just hope that I don't lead you astray....
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
        Pdub.... some much needed insurance....
        https://www.americanmuscle.com/compe...loop-0510.html
        Click image for larger version

Name:	14428?$mproductlarge$&wid=810&hei=608.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1205776
        The tech inspectors will appreciate this!
        And I will too. Thank you Sir. I've been wanting one of those. Can never think to shop for one. It's on the way. I'll put that on after Red gets back from the Vets.

We'll use the shop in Georgia to do the gear change. Matt's friends, great people not too far away, great service, amazingly fair pricing.

Comment

Cool! You can buy dinner! Perkins of the Greek place (they have "normal" food too)?

Dan
          Which reminds me - did you give your GTA shirt to Bill? He saw mine I was wearing and I told him it came from you and he said he was going to dun you for one. He told me the next day that you gave him one. Did you give him the shirt off of your back, literally?
          Last edited by pdub; June 19, 2018, 06:56 PM.

Comment

I installed 3.73:1 rear gears and they made everyday driving terrible, high rpms and poor gas mileage.
            Your car is dual purpose not just flat out fun.

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
              I installed 3.73:1 rear gears and they made everyday driving terrible, high rpms and poor gas mileage.
              Your car is dual purpose not just flat out fun.
              The OD gear is just too high. WAY too high. I'm willing to give it a try,.

Comment

Wow I am late to this party. If you are not going to drag race I would go the other way. 3.08 3.27 3.31 get it done in 4th. Call up America power train or one of those guys about the trans a 6 speed might be the best option to get the gear you want. Some of those guys run really close ratio transmissions.

last though the real answer is quick change rear!
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                ​​​​​​

Comment

Back to an earlier recommendation from RJR - a shorter tire will have the same effect as a rear gear change. You might be able to find some cheap tires to simulate the gear ratio before making the actual change. 3.55 to 3.73 is not a huge change BUT you will notice it in your normal driving. When I switch back and forth between my 3.50s and 3.89s it makes a huge difference.
                  Last edited by cstmwgn; June 20, 2018, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Which reminds me - did you give your GTA shirt to Bill? He saw mine I was wearing and I told him it came from you and he said he was going to dun you for one. He told me the next day that you gave him one. Did you give him the shirt off of your back, literally?
                    I had two and Kim was asking where hers was so I gave her the clean one from my suitcase. RJ from Big Red had given me a Big Red shirt so I was even, wardrobe-wise. And Bill and Kim are the best people EVER!

BTW - I own the design and if we can get 10 (or so) people who want them I'll make another order. I think they were about $12/ea - I'll just charge whatever they cost me.

Dan

Comment

Bill and Kim are the best people EVER!

Dan
                      That they are. Smokers, being the social outcasts that we are, we bond outside the motel instead of inside it. Yes, they are great folks, and it was my pleasure to meet them for the first time.

Comment

Did Mustangs your year come with a 3.73? I'm the guy who could look it up but it's early so I ask it here because I'm lazy. Also because I'm lazy I know changing a rear end is a LOT fewer steps than a ring and pinion. More physical labor, but fewer nuts and bolts, those pesky things. Either way I recommend another rear end from a junkyard. Your guy (don't EVEN try it) can set it up much better outside the car and from then it's pure benefits. You've DONE brake swapS. You've DONE a suspension swap. So you can add a rear axle swap to your resume' and get a spare rear axle out of the deal. THEN you can switch back and forth when you get bored and clean them up nice and paint each one before they go in.

As I wake up I realize you MUST have ordered the ring and pinion by now but still....

Expecting a photo later as I also know you're big on the next day air. You and Bubba can go pick up another rear end. It's there waiting...
                        Last edited by RockJustRock; June 20, 2018, 09:30 AM.
                        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post

As I wake up I realize you MUST have ordered the ring and pinion by now but still....

Rock, RELAX. No, I haven't ordered anything but the drive shaft catcher that Patrick posted. And I won't (order parts). I don't even know what it needs. This whole great fun and informative discussion for me represents groundwork. And that's what it is.

We have two things to accomplish. We still need to get Bluebelle over to Dyno Man to have him optimize her to burn 93 with the CAI. I haven't even called him again to jog him about that. He will be surprised that he forgot about that.

We'll set up a thing in Georgia for Red to get his rear gear changed and I'll tell the Stapps what we want and say, "It's your ballgame, let us know when you have the parts on hand and we'll bring the car." I think I'll even have them put the drive shaft catcher in. They have no problem at all with a customer who brings parts for a project.

I'm ready to declare I'm now too old to crawl on concrete underneath the car and from what all I've learned along the way I think I've learned enough to satisfy me. I never wanted to be a checkbook hotrodder, but I'm hoping that's a different thing from what we're doing. Hopefully a checkbook hotrodder is where you buy the whole car already ready and you just put gas in it and then feel like you've done something.

Comment

You sir, are definitely not a checkbook hot rodder!
                            RJR makes a good point tho, but, I don't believe that a 3.73 was available in Red...
                            Last edited by silver_bullet; June 20, 2018, 09:51 AM.
                            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                              I don't believe that a 3.73 was available in Red...
                              I don't think so either Patrick. But when you buy a used car out from underneath a tree in somebody's front yard, and they made hundreds of thousands of them, you get what you get.

Comment

Don't go all Carl Sagan on me Pdub.....I know, there could be billions and billions of treasures located in podunk salvage, err...gently used parts yards....Who knows, you might be the blind squirrel that finds the nut!
                                Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Working...
                                X