Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
    . We're done here.
    "We're done when I say we're done" . . . Just kidding . . . .

I've interviewed a fair number of people who tell me stories. The one I wrote above is from a bona fide regional "Second City" funny car racer from back in the day. He's probably told it hundreds of times over the past five decades . . . That Hollywood imitates real life doesn't mean the original source story wasn't true.

And if racing with a "hot" (stolen) engine isn't :"disobedience," I don't know what is . . . .

Comment

OK, I've told this story elsewhere on the net.... Once more won't hurt.

On a warm Wednesday evening a bunch of church kids were eating at a local Pizza Hut after choir practice. I jumped in my Torino and my pal Marc followed me out in his Mustang. At the next red light, I powerbraked the 302 and engulfed the intersection with white smoke - all while looking at Marc who was in the left lane. He had a sick look on his face, instead of a grin. At the green, I emerged from the fog at speed and blasted northward towards the next light 3 blocks away. I didn't see Marc in my rearview mirror. So I hit the Sonic and parked to wait for him. Pretty soon he showed, and I asked what had happened...

Marc: "Didn't you see that cop right behind you at the light?"
      Me: "No"
      Marc: "He pulled up into your spot, and told me to go. I told him I'd wait for the next light. He just laughed and turned right to go east"
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Oh, uh and I forgot Power Jacking.
        oh good grief, what you people did in the country with sheep is not fit for this forum.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Not personal enough. Not original enough..
          Okay, Bro . . . you want one?

The whip was a '78 LTD II . . . Silver . . . dealer paper tag , , , and the Monroney sticker still on the window.

A kid's parents for some insane reason let him drive it to his car-hop job at Sonic drive-in.

Maybe there was some friendly taunting and teasing after hours . . . Anyhow, the kid ended up getting it stuck in a muddy field next to the drive-in.

As the only remaining gearhead on-site, a huddle of nervous, anxious car hops and fry cooks asked me what to do. The kid had already tried all that driver's ed "rock it back and forth" stuff to no avail.

I said "Call the wrecker."

The kid whined, "My parents will kill me! . . . it's a new car!:"

So I agreed to give it a try.

At first, I barely punched the still-virginal 351M . . .doing the driver's ed "rock." Nothing.

I figured it just needed a tad more wheel speed . . . It's probably got a C6 in it so it can take a bit more grabbing by the scruff of the neck.

I started swinging it from low to reverse at about half throttle . . now we're getting somewhere (closer to China, as the peg-leg was diggin' in).

Desperate times call for desperate measures . . . I screamed the 351M and dropped it into drive

Whunh . . WHHHUH . . WAAAAAAAA! She started diigging and dancing like a tractor pulling a fairgrounds sled.

FULL THROTTLE . . . mud cascading . . . Slipping . . . sliding . . . steaming WAAAAAAAA! That smogged 5.8 lump was making Cleveland proud.

The new LTD II finally reached the old Depression-era concrete of the two-lane highway . . . with enough wheel speed and mud to bark a nice muddy scratch.

The kid was hysterical . . . nearly speechless. The car was pockmarked with clumps of mud and grass. The underside was coated with mire and sludge. The pungent stench of burnt tire and overheated antifreeze hung in the air.

"It . . was . . a . NEW . . . CAR!"

"Hey, I got it out for you, didn't I? Just take it down to the car wash and hose it off . . . It'll be fine . . . ."

Comment

This is a two parter, right? The interesting funny part is still coming? And how it got INTO the mud?

I worked with a 19 year old whose Daddy bought him the Monza Town Car. One morning as I was about to doze off, a tap on my door. "I need to sleep here, I can't make the hill out of town. I put my shoes on and took him drifting, doing donuts, uphill, downhill, slow, fast all over town. Then said O.K., the couch is yours. He had a bad road drinking and pot smoking habit letting his not working buddies drive. The thing was in and out of every ditch in the area. Oh yeah, white interior too. He wanted to trade it in on a clean Monte Carlo. The salesman took one look at the Monza and said "Son you drive through a lot of tight spaces, huh?". When he asked about the price the salesman said "Get the hell off my lot!".

JUST because it was similar and had a funnier ending.
            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

This is a two parter, right? The interesting funny part is still coming?
              Everyone's a critic . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post

"Hey, I got it out for you, didn't I? Just take it down to the car wash and hose it off . . . It'll be fine . . . ."
                I'd be a millionaire if I had a dollar for every time I've used that line.... I'd be quite poor if you deducted the number of times it didn't work.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Summer of 1981, 17 years old. Coming home from work at 1:30 am in my '73 Gran Torino, no traffic back then. Headlights coming up fast behind me so I mat the 400M "this guys not passing me!" I was probably doing 80 when the CHP Diplomat flew past. He wasn't lit up so I guess he just wanted to get the donuts while they were still warm. 80 in a 55 would have been bad I think.
                  Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

17 years old... guy bet me 50 that I couldnt make from the next town(5miles away) to school in less than 3 minutes.... took the gravel road, damn near hit the farmer moving his cattle across the road....but, he knew my folks....let my mother know.... Busted.... but, made it in 2 and 15 seconds.... 50 richer....
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I've told the story here of a late-night speed run where there was only one other car on the freeway, cresting a hill it turned out to be a CHP which swerved in front of me to block me, then fortunately reconsidered and got back out of the way. After passing, I pulled over and waited for him, actually them, about all I could do there. I used to get stopped for nothing all the time by the local Sheriff, there was just one time where I was fed up about it and decided they would have to catch me first and they did not. When clear for the moment, I parked the car along a dead-end street behind a bunch of other stuff and walked home. There's other stories I suppose.

Let me be clear, generally I have all kinds of respect for laws, and guys who do law enforcement who are sincere and professional. There are a few times I wish I'd been better to them than I was but I was pretty rebellious coming out of school. All long ago, I haven't even gotten a ticket in 20 years.

Comment

Gary was driving without a license... I was supposed to drive but he wanted to..
                        Full size Jeep with 2.5 ton International front and rear axles and transfer case.
                        We were going towards Labish Stables a part that tends to flood.. Yes we went past the "ROAD CLOSED" sign.
                        Police was coming fast.. BBO started to sing.. Curve then a fast drop 40-60 feet. There was 4 feet of water over the road..
                        Police car lights went underwater..
                        We went out the other side and hitailed it home
                        No sooner than we parked in the storage barn and turned on the shop lights when 2 cop cars came in..
                        Weren't us, Jeep aint here.

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post

Everyone's a critic . . .

The log chain to the rear axle is a true story too, but it is just the log chain to the rear axle.....The people that can spin a good yarn aren't spinning them here. The Three Brothers ran a LOT of Cops, but I will wait until this needs a bump. But in advance, the Three Brothers went fast just for the joy of going fast. There were others that went fast strictly to defy the law too.

Comment

The Fourth Of July is coming up. Always creative stories about the carnage a Cherry Bomb can deliver. The "bad boy" in our town put one in a gas tank. Must have been some flammable parts in the straps or the fuel lines held because there was a satisfying delay between the explosion and when the tank fell out with a resounding CLANK!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1970-cherry-bomb-a.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1205237

Yuk, yuk, yuk.....

Comment

And now that I think about it, the motor of choice until '68 or '69 was the Gen 1 hemi. Beebe and Mulligan won Pomona with a Chizler then went Elephant for their fateful trip east to Indy that year. As an aside a guy who swept the Isky shop as a kid told me there was Hydrazine involved.

Back to the story. Early Hemis were reknowned for taking a full load of Nitro on a stock bottom end, but by the era of the Funny Car would have been plentiful in junkyards, antifreeze and all.

My Thread, My Hijack....

Comment

I never ran from the cops but in 1964 I got into a short red light drag race on a state highway on the edge of town with a detective in an unmarked Oldsmobile (442 body style) in 1964. When the light turned green he immediately started burning rubber and jumped ahead about 2 car lengths I thought that this old guy must think he has really car so I punched it and flew by him in 1st gear. I kept the kept the pedal to the metal until I reached 70mph (the speed limit) and let off. I was ahead of him but noticed when I let off that he was coming fast and had light flashing in his car. I pulled over as soon as I could and when he come to my window he was so mad he was shaking. He told me he was taking me to jail for reckless driving because he had to get up to 100mph to catch me. I told him I let off at 70mph and pulled over as soon as I saw his flashing lights. He went to his car to get a DL check and found out I had a perfect driving record. When he came back to my car he had calmed down. He admitted that he wasn't on a call when he took off the red light. He said he could tell my '56 Chevy was a hot rod because it had cheater slicks, solid lifters and he could see the collectors boxes hanging down. He decided he was going to show a young kid like me (I was 21) how fast his Oldsmobile was and he was shocked at how fast my car was. He finally said I've got to see what you've got under your hood. I opened the hood and explained that the engine was just a little 283", with 11 to 1 pistons, ported heads, 2-4 barrels carbs from a '57 Corvette, a Melling "Drag Only" cam and 4.56 gears. He turned out to be a good guy who shook my hand and told me to slow down a little. I didn't even get a warning ticket.
                                Last edited by dieselhead; June 17, 2018, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X