Back From Arkansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back From Arkansas

Like the title says, ME and I just got back from Arkansas by way of Michigan where I picked her up at the Detroit airport. A long trip and fun but it's good to be back in our own little house.

I enjoyed seeing Peewee go almost 150. I wish he had stuck around for Sunday when we had a stout but legal (less that 15 MPH most of the time) tailwind and really great air - no doubt 150+ would have been his!

Me and Mutt did 2 runs (could have done more but I decided to save some for the next time). I cranked the boost up 30 clicks on the boost controller (as hoped, 5 PSI for a total of 25 PSI) and ran a 132ish run on Saturday so I had my 130 that I was after. Then on Sunday with the good air from the right direction I did a 136.2! And there's plenty of boost left. Also excellent that the EGT's dropped from about 1160F at the end of the run to about 1050F with the improved boost. So I'm thinking there's a 140 in our future with 30 PSI. The other thing was that it ran better than ever - smooth, clean exhaust plume from what I could see, just better all around.

A special thanks to Milner 351 who let me stash Mutt and his trailer during our stay in the Detroit area. Grandboys were properly spoiled and we got to hang out with my bro and wife, some old friends (we attended a wedding whilst there) and even hooked up with Mr. and Mrs. Milner and son for Sunday dinner. Fun to see his projects (Falcon) as well as all his new projects - hope he'll post them. It turned out to be a REALLY rushed visit in SE Michigan and we apologize to all the folks we didn't see or saw too little of - hopefully next time we can fix that.

Also more thanks to Dan B and wife who put me up in Indy on my way from AR to MI. It was a treat to meet 3 of their 4 kids - the girls are PRETTY! Good thing they take after their Mom! (J/K Dan - I heard that all the time when mine were little). Great hosts and super nice people. It was fun to see Dan's works-in-progress, too. The S-10 will be fun!

Dan

What a deal Dan, ain't life fun? It sure is, and mighty glad we pulled it off and are still in good health. We're gonna do it again - ready for September?
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Where's all the pics ?

Comment

I hope Lon got some. One of the disadvantages to being a one-man band is that I'm busy running Mutt and there's no one to shoot the pics. Lon picked up a ride in an LS-powered S-10 so part of his day Saturday was eaten up - no clue if he got any pics of Mutt of not. I'm hoping to borrow a suction cup Go-Pro mount for the next meet so I can get a vid from outside - SO dramatic! I'll check FB for any Lon pics - he's on there a lot (used to be on here more).

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          One of the disadvantages to being a one-man band is that I'm busy running Mutt
          Dan
          Yes. Ditto and absolutely. The best pics are on the ECTA FB page. And I thank them for doing that, that's a new thing. It's changing, the rules, the government, all of it. I'm no FB fan because I'm old, but they have photos of all the cars there.

Comment

What a great-sounding trip. 136 yee-haw!

Comment

Good to see you Dan and have a little show and tell . That was one of the things I thought after you left , no pics but it was a little whirl wind finding a restraint and all . We have plans for if ME comes next time so don't left that single bed stop her from coming .
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                Good to see you Dan and have a little show and tell . That was one of the things I thought after you left , no pics but it was a little whirl wind finding a restraint and all . We have plans for if ME comes next time so don't left that single bed stop her from coming .
                Like I said, SUPER THANKS! I hope our next Indy visit will allow a trip to some of your excellent local restaurants but Olive Garden was good (folks - all the good local places were closed). I hope I can drag ME with me in the future but a weekend at the track really isn't her cup of tea.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  I enjoyed seeing Peewee go almost 150. I wish he had stuck around for Sunday when we had a stout but legal (less that 15 MPH most of the time) tailwind and really great air - no doubt 150+ would have been his!

Dan
                  I've had a couple weeks to think about this, me leaving after the first day. I pulled into the pits and got out to watch you work on Truck's brakes. We yakked and then I was going back to Red to sit in the air conditioning some more and only THEN did I see that rubber/glue mess lying on the roof. That's when I knew....I'm done. Though Bill and I tried to hold it back down with painter's tape at the motel that evening, that wasn't gonna work.

I've had time to think about why that wouldn't have worked. That rubber strip is what it is, and in 2006 they used some kind of inferior butyl compound that gets soft and icky when you really heat it up. Stupid-hot in the sun plus 148 mph and that strip comes out of there.

And here's what else I think. After two weeks of not really thinking about it at all, but going through the air at 148 that windshield is under a whole lot of pressure. And here's where I start guessing. With all of that air pressure and the shape of the windshield I'm guessing that at 148 mph the wind going across that windshield strip at the top is going 200 mph or more? Is that a wrong theory? I've for sure never researched it.

And I put maybe 15 layers of painter's tape over each of Red's brake cooling ducts and at the end of the day that stuff was still there but it was mashed in and torn from the pressure on the front valence.

Comment

I was thinking those guys play with the grill opening a lot. NASCAR too. Next time carry some stuff to try THAT. Watch how quickly Red heats up and how hot he gets.
                    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                      I was thinking those guys play with the grill opening a lot. NASCAR too. Next time carry some stuff to try THAT. Watch how quickly Red heats up and how hot he gets.
                      If I have it right, the NASCAR guys can put about two square inches of tape on the front grille to get more downforce on the hugely fast tracks. And it works, at the expense of maybe overheating the engine after miles and miles of running wide assed open. Just like the NASCAR hotdog wrapper that gets stuck on there and can cost them the race due to overheating.

Land speed, at least at the standing mile level, that's not part of it. The Salt Flats, I for sure don't know. My question remains, if the car is going 148 mph, does the air not go over the very top edge of the windshield a whole lot faster than that?

Comment

I'm continuing to wonder if, after the formation of Kansas, the pirates (who lived in Kansas) moved out and founded Arkansas...
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          I'm continuing to wonder if, after the formation of Kansas, the pirates (who lived in Kansas) moved out and founded Arkansas...
                          In theory, the flatland pirates of Kansas who had never seen floating water at all, got tired of making boat models and they all moved to Washington State where they could practice their trade.

Comment

The biggest question is who demanded it be pronounced that way? How can the first two letters change the last two?
                            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                              My question remains, if the car is going 148 mph, does the air not go over the very top edge of the windshield a whole lot faster than that?

At that same sort of speed range (144-146mph yesterday at the dragstrip), the air coming over the windscreen of a motorcycle doesn't seem to be going significantly faster than free air higher up. I'd imagine that the air compresses more than anything, and that lets more air mass move around the car more than anything else.

And when you forget to zip your jacket completely up, make a pass, sit up and have your jacket suddenly blow open and turn into a parachute..... there's an awful lot of weight of air at those speeds. Quite the surprise!

Comment

Working...
                              X