Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanctioned/UNsanctioned Testing

One of the terms I've always liked from Braub is "Unsanctioned Testing."

We all know what that is. There's a beautiful stretch of highway in front of you. You can see for a mile or more, and nobody else is coming.

Why not? I've done it dozens of times, I'll tell the truth. And I have only been caught by a cop doing it once. That was un-fun. Made me think twice about doing it ever again, no matter how much fun that is.

But I'm overly-compliant most of the time. Maybe we should wait and leave it to the race track. Especially when I see the car coming at me doing his unsanctioned testing on the Tail of the Dragon, and he's not so good at driving the car. Just saying. Not so sure WHAT I'm trying to say.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

The more track time you have, the less hooning . . . "unsanctioned testing" you need, IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post
      The more track time you have, the less hooning . . . "unsanctioned testing" you need, IMHO.
      Thanks Gate, I couldn't get to it, but that's what I was trying to say.

Comment

Well anything is better than no testing. Towing or driving long and hard to learn you don't have WFO. So..... test hits.
        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
          Well anything is better than no testing. Towing or driving long and hard to learn you don't have WFO. So..... test hits.
          I know it happens, and I know we all do it. But some folks seem a bit more irresponsible than others. The folks with the lesser experience seem to be the ones in the news.

Look at the straightway......no, there's a car coming the other direction, way out there. It's so selfish, to risk somebody else's life for some personal fun. That's just foolish.

Comment

Having the farm and a long driveway is nice for derby car testing..

Had a problem with sputtering...
            Sit in gear or me hanging on for dear life working throttle off the fender it revved great..
            So told the kid to do donuts. Problem reared it's ugly head!
            Hmmmm. Told him slight throttle, then I grabbed the bumper and rocked the heck out of the front.. Problem reared it's ugly head.
            The off road needle and seat comes with a tiny spring to tie the needle to the seat was in the bowl.. Reattached, problem beheaded!

Every car that went from shop/work area to trailer flopped.
            I require a short jaunt in the fields. Rough, yes. Brings problems to forefront!
            Dunno what I'dda do if I was in LSR....

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

In LSR, the airport place is so expansive you don't even have a feel that you're going fast. You know you are but the look through the windshield is not proving it. You can maybe notice the big stuff starting to move about quarter mile away, you may even notice the clouds starting to move overhead as you drive under them. But if you notice all of that, you're not watching your path, which is a very bad thing. I've only noticed all of that in video playback.

Here's my opinion, and let's start a "lively" discussion. I'll say that land speed is the safest version of racing there is. You can't run into "him," and "he" can't run into YOU. There are no walls to hit. Worst case, you lose control or you lose your wheels or the wind makes you fly like an airplane, there is nothing out there for you to "hit." Worst case, you will roll and tumble and sling and scatter parts everywhere while your machine slowly burns off speed. There is no ultimate G-Force impact like hitting a wall. It's the safest form of risking your life. Now, on a motorcycle, bets are off.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                Having the farm and a long driveway is nice for derby car testing..

Had a problem with sputtering...
                Sit in gear or me hanging on for dear life working throttle off the fender it revved great..
                So told the kid to do donuts. Problem reared it's ugly head!
                Hmmmm. Told him slight throttle, then I grabbed the bumper and rocked the heck out of the front.. Problem reared it's ugly head.
                The off road needle and seat comes with a tiny spring to tie the needle to the seat was in the bowl.. Reattached, problem beheaded!

Every car that went from shop/work area to trailer flopped.
                I require a short jaunt in the fields. Rough, yes. Brings problems to forefront!
                All this with a $350,000 house next door? I bet they are entertained.... Open headers, I assume?

Comment

I stumbled over the Car & Driver Vehicular Evaluation Test Facility, nee Mrs. Orcutt's Driveway. The world needs more Mrs. Orcutts.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...cutts-driveway

A MUST READ! Includes numerous windshield/driver compartment references for you 'n Dan. THIS was C&D in the '70s, trading jabs with rival Rodent Rack (Road and Track).

Mrs. Orcutt's Driveway (Google Maps). Explore Mrs. Orcutt's Driveway in Newberry Springs, CA as it appears on Google Maps as well as pictures, stories and other notable nearby locations on VirtualGlobetrotting.com.

Visibility from the freeway was a big bonus and amusement I'll bet!

Four Miles, No Keith Turks

Sounds like a road trip to me.....
                  Last edited by RockJustRock; June 12, 2018, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post

All this with a $350,000 house next door? I bet they are entertained.... Open headers, I assume?
                    Of course. Thru the hood, straight up

Comment

Working...
                    X