Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LS, Coyote or Gen 3 Hemi? Which is best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS, Coyote or Gen 3 Hemi? Which is best?

Too much is said about the LS, not as much about the other 2. Sometimes it feels like Ford and Dodge build the hottest Coyotes and Gen 3 Hemis. There's a little talk about the fastest Coyote, but less on the Hemi. And both do a LOT on stock bottom ends.

And totally unrelated.... Where do old Pro Stock motors go? And the new ones expensive as they are, why not put one in something other than a Pro Stock? I mean I'm more than a little intrigued because the Pro Stock Hemi got the rep of being the most buzzable. Nobody racing them because NHRA limited RPM, where ARE they and wouldn't one be FUN? Not really worth much because you can't win a Pro Stock race with it, but.... I mean rudimentary water jacketing could be added and methanol could be used.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

You're stirring the stink, RJR . . ..

1. LS is cheapest, smallest, and overwhelmingly has the most aftermarket support. But it might be the ugliest OHV engine ever made.

2. Coyote has the most "power density" potential (power per cubic inch) but is compromised by lack of junkyard availability, small bore and narrow bore centers (which limit displacement), hypereutectic stock pistons, and higher parts costs. Maximizing the Coyote's design potential costs a lot. And many rodders are put off by its cost, unfamiliarity, and complexity. Ford's crate motors tend to be more expensive and not really what the market wants (i.e. big-cube power-adder mills) . Coyotes are often costly to retrofit to "legacy" pre-Fox Fords (and Ford myopically continues in not really helping very much . . . a counterproductive trend that began with the 1954 Y-Block)

3. Gen III Hemi probably has the most on-paper potential for an OEM two-valve pushrod engine (save Hemi-style heads on an LS) but is expensive to buy and build. It also isn't as small or light as an LS/LT. There are a lot of places where a Gen III Hemi struggles to fit.

Pro Stock jumped the shark decades ago when they stopped using production-based engines that the ordinary folks in the stands could buy and build, and allowed the melted-candy-bar "stock" carbon bodies.

These are just one man's opinions . . . yours are likely to differ substantially . . . .

Comment

Are junkyard Gen 3 Hemis expensive? The crates look in line with the others...

But where do the "obsolete" Pro Stock motors go? ALL those Pontiacs? WJ's Olds? Doesn't anybody else WANT one?

Comment

you forgot the 4th and correct answer-- big block chevy.

Comment

Out of production, except a few truck applications?

Comment

whatcha got is better then whatcha don't
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
              Out of production, except a few truck applications?
              But there are soooo many out there, and, they have all kinds of low budget potential......if you got the room to wedge it in place......
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post
                3. Gen III Hemi probably has the most on-paper potential for an OEM two-valve pushrod engine (save Hemi-style heads on an LS) but is expensive to buy and build. It also isn't as small or light as an LS/LT. There are a lot of places where a Gen III Hemi struggles to fit.
                Add in that in at least the case of the 5.7L, once you cross a certain power threshold or attempt power adders, you are stuck rebuilding your bottom end, unless you want to see just how quickly you can shrapnelize the entire rotating assembly. The Hemi's bigger issues stem from a ECU that requires the Antikythera mechanism and the blood of a virgin to crack. But once you do get in there, work the wizardry and start adding boost...well, let's say that 8-second WK Grand Cherokees are possible, even at weight.
                Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Strange.... is there a lot of carnage at new Hemi races?

Comment

To me it's like asking what's better, a nice, juicy steak or a bowl of Grandma's home made ice cream. Other than both being food they're different things. I lean toward Not LS but mostly because I like off-the-wall stuff so the weirder the better. How about Mercedes Diesel swaps?........

Dan

Comment

Which is best?
                      Best for what ?

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Best for what ?
                        Follow the lead of The Oracle and list strengths and weaknesses..... I did not know the Gen 3 Hemi had a rep for bottom end weakness.

Like the original post said I feel like there is an information and development shortage for anything non-LS.

I feel the biggest fail of Detroit in the past was the wrong kind of breathing to fit the bottom end and the balance between intake and exhaust.
                        Last edited by RockJustRock; June 13, 2018, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Like the original post said I feel like there is an information and development shortage for anything non-LS.
                          Oh, I thought that was answered in post #2;

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post
                          LS is cheapest, smallest, and overwhelmingly has the most aftermarket support.

Comment

Not to question The Oracle, but with demand so high can one still say cheapest? Can't quibble about size though. I think support is kind of a non-point, as long as there is ANY there is enough. With supply unlimited in the aftermarket competition should make PARTS cheaper, but this is 2018.

Comment

I am not mopar authority but it seems was mentioned in Hot Rod along time ago that when the big three started the cubic inch wars of their current engine lay outside that they said to get to 392 they really had to move the piston pin way up the piston and that the piston could rock . Maybe someone can find the article .
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                              X