Hey Dan Stokes - A Land Speed Technical Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monster View Post

So, It looks like you want to stick to the Street Category as long as you stay under 150 mph.
    Thanks again Steve. That's what I think I thought I had read my way to, I hope you and I are interpreting it the same way. If Bluebell's 93 race tune runs the way I hope it will, she should easily go over 135, and the very last thing I ever want to do is to break out.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

That's refreshing to me, the obnoxious outsider. I question the year breaks why 2009, etc.? No records for YOU Street Category, but preferable to "Go Home" for 80% or more of guys who might like to run.
      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

As a long-time racer I don't know what the big deal is about folks not wanting to install roll bars. We allow bolt-in bars (there are, of course, requirements) so you don't have to live with the full-time. We also allow swing-out sidebars so you can still get in and out. Given the way they stiffen a car I think they're a good thing anyhow - never regretted putting the Max Motorsports (6 or 8 point, depending on how you count) bar in my 'Stang (that was my first installation). Bob Self went 200+ in a Ford GT with a bolt in bar as his wife wouldn't get in the car if the jungle gym was in there. The bar was high-buck (S&W built it) but it did show what can be done with some effort.

Dan

Comment

I just heard references to the NHRA standards and assumed the worst, sorry. Rollbars, particularly with creative padding are cool. Seat mounting is MORE important than cage design. The NHRA evolution is what grates me. Putting dragster cages in funny cars then calling them funny car cages and outing them in door cars

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
            No records for YOU Street Category.
            "Time Only" (/TO) does not have track records, but the "Street" category does.

Comment

Maybe the cruise control thing will keep Vette guys below 135 and 150 better, try it.

Comment

I just heard references to the NHRA standards and assumed the worst, sorry. Rollbars, particularly with creative padding are cool. Seat mounting is MORE important than cage design. The NHRA evolution is what grates me. Putting dragster cages in funny cars then calling them funny car cages and outing them in door cars
                I don't know a lot about NHRA rules but I'm pretty sure they don't allow bolt-in cages. As fussy as the SCTA folks are I'm pretty sure that a properly designed bolt-in cage will be plenty safe. Mutt's is weld-in but he's race only so why not - and he came that way.

Above 175 (the speed at which a 'chute is required) we either need a "funny car style" cage OR a full containment seat. I'm sure you could do both but I doubt you could fit the seat in the cage. Most guys are going for the seat. If I get that fast (not likely) that's probably how I'll go.

Dan

Comment

We had a full containment seat and a roll cage in the "Firecracker" and were tech'ed for 200+

Comment

Well, Bluebelle won't be going racing, she can't "race." I put the 93 race tune on her today and tried it out, that's every bit and exactly as bad as the 87 tune. She runs like a brand new grocery getter unless and until you romp WOT, and then she says oh heck no and the little wrench on the dash comes on. She goes into some kind of a safe mode, won't downshift, bogging along and you can't engage the cruise control.

The cure is, stop the car, turn it off, crank it right back up and she'll run happily through the gears near the redline shifting herself. But by golly don't ever try to shift her yourself, oh noooooo, that's even worse than before.

So I'd pull up to the line at The Mile, romp the gas and make it about 30 feet before she all but quits and I might get 70 mph, maybe. I guess I could stop right there in the middle of the track and turn her off and crank her again and make the rest of a run on the auto-shift. No, that's no way to go. Bluebell hates that CAI with a passion.

Red will be going instead, if CJ gets my request to change cars, which I emailed to her today. It'll be real interesting to see what Red techs out at. After further review it may be the seat belts that limit him to 135 max. I've got a 5 point harness but it depends how technical they are about how it's mounted. So he'll pass for 135 or 150 or ZERO and failed if they don't like how the five point harness shares two of the mounting points for the 3 point harness. Or if they don't like how the shoulder straps for the 5-point run through the mounting/height adjustment posts for the seat headrest.

We'll see.

Comment

You need a can of starting fluid with a 6 foot spaghetti tube.

Comment

Sorry to nag, but reading this my first thought was "Y'know if a guy was to trade his Ford off, this might be a good choice". The reviewer says it would be fun to play with suspension upgrades.

Comment

Sorry to nag, but reading this my first thought was "Y'know if a guy was to trade his Ford off, this might be a good choice". The reviewer says it would be fun to play with suspension upgrades.

https://www.autoblog.com/2018/05/24/...ger-gt-review/
                          Wow, that IS something Rock. If we ever needed a new getter, that might be it. But we don't need a new getter. Bluebelle's a 2012 and she has about 15K miles on her.

And she's got a date with Dyno Man on Thursday. She'll be going to the track after all with an all new attitude, if that appointment goes well.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Wow, that IS something Rock. If we ever needed a new getter, that might be it. But we don't need a new getter. Bluebelle's a 2012 and she has about 15K miles on her.

And she's got a date with Dyno Man on Thursday. She'll be going to the track after all with an all new attitude, if that appointment goes well.
                            GOOD plan! Hope all goes well. Sounds like the speed limiter is not turned off.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

GOOD plan! Hope all goes well. Sounds like the speed limiter is not turned off.

Dan
                              The title on the book would be "Bad Tunes."

DM knew exactly what it was when I described it to him. The MAF is sending an erroneous signal to the throttle body sensor and the whole system goes into Limp Mode. Short story, Bluebelle's now getting too much air and she doesn't know what to do with it all, despite the provided "tune."

He'll fix it at a hefty fee, but we have to get it fixed, race or not. I've still got the stock airbox but I've lost the stock tune setup in all of the tunes.

P.S. This will be GOOD.

Comment

Be vewwy, vewwy careful.... Dynamometer is Greek for "Whatever could ever break, will". Really glad you even looked at the Kia article. Sometimes I wonder. It sure said "Rusty read me" to this guy. 130 MPH on the main straight, where do I hear THAT kind of talk?

Comment

Working...
                                X