Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Vega Story

A Vega Story:

A warm summer evening in 1979, me a scrawny 19 y.o., looking to grab a nice big In-N-Out burger and fries at the local stand. Go to turn into the driveway and what comes along and swings around from the left, darts/pushes in front of me and totally cuts me off like I'm a complete f'-ing fool worth nothing? Bright shiny newish Jensen-Healy sports car, top down, big groomed a-hole-looking dude driving and hot young chick on the passenger side. F*ck.

Now ahead of me, he slides into the short left lane (there was two-lane service, one to either side of the building). I alone in my couple-hundred-dollar p.o.s. Chevy Vega crap can with dying engine file into the right where there are more cars, and stop. It's looking like a wait, so I shut off the motor. Yeah, this is how you get treated sometimes.

We do wait, and yes it'll be a bit. A-hole and his bitch are over there yakking, yakking, all animated and excited and out to impress each other. I listen to the radio. But deep within my Vega's towering cracked OHC head and decrepit original cast-aluminum block there is a slow, silent killer: With each passing moment an insidious hot monster creeps inside the worn, be-stilled four-hole, a process that happens each time the motor has been running awhile and is turned off. Dirty oil, under the valve retainers, down the shafts, past the abused and failing oil seals. Off the valve lips and into the coolant-scored cylinders, each one, drip drip. Soon there is probably a good little wad of hot muck on top of each resting piston, just sitting there. We wait. The oil waits.

And then, my line finally moves. I reach for the key and crank over the wheezy 2.3 until it kicks, coughs and eventually starts.

A.H. and B-word are still yakking.

As it does each time the motor hot-starts, the oil that had just leaked down the valve seals now lights and burns, and pours straight out the exhaust as smoke. Oh no, I hadn't thought about that. A full-on cloud appears out the left side of the car where the exhaust exit is. It builds larger and larger as the engine struggles then hangs there in the warm still air. The engine eventually smooths out, cleans up as much as it ever will, and there is no further smoke.

But the excruciating, fat dark cloud remains hanging in the air off my rear flank. Then...a slight breeze happens along. Just a little bit.

Levitated still, the cloud began to waft away from me. Past my lane, over the center median, then across the trimmed green grass in slow motion like a giant rolling black turd. And then, as if pushed by angels, either God's or the devil's...straight toward the...no, you gotta be kidding...the Jensen Healy in the other lane. Crap! It's going to hit them! They'll know it's me, and I'll really look like an idiot!

Crap again! No they won't! My car has cleaned up and isn't making smoke any more! Like the guy who farted, nobody unless they saw it will have any idea who did it at all!

The couple in the Jensen yak and yak and then...are enveloped. The talking slows, they look around, and soon he is pissed, WTF. She's turning her head to the left, right, and behind, wondering where the hell all this filthy sh*t came from that they have now hopelessly sucked into each of their lungs. Pretty face not so pretty anymore.

I, too, am dying but for a much different reason, in fact I can barely sit in my chair. They were just stuck there in the middle of all that airborne doo-doo, so pissed!. I had to look ahead and play it straight, all of this is seen out the peripheral vision now. That smoke barely moved. A.H. put the J.H. in gear and rolled forward as much as he could to get back out into breathable oxygen, then the cloud passed and continued on out into the street.

KROQ, what a bitchin' L.A. radio station we had back in that day. I focused on it now, don't know if I took a moment to look at the Jensen-Healy again 'cause by gawd if I did I'd laugh so hard and give myself up and then they'd really figure out who to blame. Maybe I should have, anyhow. I will never know if anyone behind me caught all that.

The next day, SCAQMD and CARB went full EcoCon 5 alert and scrambled a platoon of field agents to In-N-Out . . . .

Comment

Them there was the good ol' days. I never drove either of mine with the stock engine so I missed out on such fun.

Great story!

Dan

Comment

Too bad what KROQ has become and last I checked 91X was following pretty closely.
        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Pulled into the drive in line at McD's. For a very short time we could order at one window and pick up at the next.. Efore squak box was installed
          Saw a buddy's SIL in his 350 SS pickup. Got behind but it was the step son whom I knew had no driver's lic.. Turned my roof spot around and aimed it on the cab..flicked it on and watched him SLUMP. "busted" slump..
          Poor kid looks back and hears me howling till my sides hurt..

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            Them there was the good ol' days. I never drove either of mine with the stock engine so I missed out on such fun.

Great story!

Dan
            There was no fun (see my racing story in the Granada thread).

The best thing about my Vega experience was that I ended up eventually getting the race-losing Kammback for free . . . with a disassembled newly-sleeved engine thrown in.

Why free? The gas saving mania in the family rapidly abated after everyone discovered how awful driving a John Delorean rustwagon actually was (and Ronald Reagan calmed down OPEC and got our hostages back from Iran). So nobody wanted the Vegas then. And nobody wanted to spend anymore than five minutes assembling the rebuilt engine.

(Nof so) good things come to those who wait, I guess. . . .

So I assembled the new sleeved mill. I ripped off the ancient, weather-cracked, may-pop bias belted tires and slapped on some take-off Western Auto Sentry radials that some customer didn't like (remember "the Customer is always right" even when he/she/ze/it is clueless).

I whipped it a handful of times and got tired of the still-awful performance. Then the rotten drivers-side seat belt fell apart in my hand. I figured I should sell it before it devolved any further into iron oxide and other detritus.

And, excluding the costs of the nearly-free tires and my time, it was 100 percent profit!
            Last edited by Gateclyve Photographic; May 3, 2018, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
              Pulled into the drive in line at McD's. For a very short time we could order at one window and pick up at the next.. Efore squak box was installed
              Saw a buddy's SIL in his 350 SS pickup. Got behind but it was the step son whom I knew had no driver's lic.. Turned my roof spot around and aimed it on the cab..flicked it on and watched him SLUMP. "busted" slump..
              Poor kid looks back and hears me howling till my sides hurt..
              My dad warned me about spotlights. It seems that back in the 1940s, he was riding with his firend "Poochie." Poochie's Model A had an accessory spotlight. And these jocular youths thought it was fun to go to under the under-construction Route 66 viaduct and "light up" parkers seeking a few minutes of romantic privacy.

Fun that is until some war-hardened vet popped out of his presumed petting palace-car brandishing a big revolver . . . .

Comment

The same thing happens to me when I drive the blue Montego down to 7-eleven for a couple of hot dogs, nacho cheese Doritos and a double gulp. With 178,000 miles on it's tired little 302 it blows a nice plume of blue smog all over the parking lot. KROQ was a great station, so was 105.5 KNAC , "Southern California's only REAL ass-kicker!"
                Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Sigh.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	Knac.jpg Views:	1 Size:	15.5 KB ID:	1199487

Made ANY Car Cool....

Plus Long Beach, no landmark. Make your own...

Last edited by RockJustRock; May 3, 2018, 10:21 AM.

Comment

OK Loren, see what you did now?

The price is a bit steep but imagine it with an LS swap and a manual trans.

Attached Files
                    1975 Chevrolet GT Vega Hatchback 4- Speed Chevy Vega GT. It Has A Clean Title. Model year 10/1974. 4 Speed Manual. 3400.00 OBO I have not attempted to start the vehicle, however, everything looks in...
                    Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                      Sigh.....

Click image for larger version Name:	Knac.jpg Views:	1 Size:	15.5 KB ID:	1199487

Made ANY Car Cool....

Plus Long Beach, no landmark. Make your own...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232752886680

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C View Post
                        OK Loren, see what you did now?

The price is a bit steep but imagine it with an LS swap and a manual trans.
                        $3,500 for a $300 Vega is another example of how FWD and emissions testing have ruined the world over the past forty years.

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post
                          If only you had a clue what you were saying.

It is O.K., when that band came along a million "clever" people said that and a million "clever" people got laughed AT instead of WITH.
                          Last edited by RockJustRock; May 3, 2018, 02:35 PM.

Comment

We had some amazing stations in L.A. back when, KROQ, the 'nac if you were in an area that could get it, then KLOS and KMET. Hanging out at the In-N-Out or wherever playing the radio on weekend evenings was a common pastime for many, who needed a cassette tape that needed to be changed when just the radio was that good. All those stations have Wikipedia entries now, by-the-way, when you're curious for a look back. It's sure not the same now, although any time I'm driving through that area I try to make it mid-day when Jonesy's' Jukebox is on. http://www.955klos.com/jonesys-jukebox/

I first bought a Vega to do a V8 swap, but with companies like Santa Monica's IECO selling the parts you could make a 4cyl fly pretty well and enjoy the mpg which was important to me at the time. I had a pretty great motor but sold the car to start over which is what I was doing at the time the story is from. After that it was 3 215" V8 cars. I continue to watch CraigsList for Vegas, just for old time's sake. They are all 'way too expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                              We had some amazing stations in L.A. back when, KROQ, the 'nac if you were in an area that could get it, then KLOS and KMET. Hanging out at the In-N-Out or wherever playing the radio on weekend evenings was a common pastime for many, who needed a cassette tape that needed to be changed when just the radio was that good. All those stations have Wikipedia entries now, by-the-way, when you're curious for a look back. It's sure not the same now, although any time I'm driving through that area I try to make it mid-day when Jonesy's' Jukebox is on. http://www.955klos.com/jonesys-jukebox/

I first bought a Vega to do a V8 swap, but with companies like Santa Monica's IECO selling the parts you could make a 4cyl fly pretty well and enjoy the mpg which was important to me at the time. I had a pretty great motor but sold the car to start over which is what I was doing at the time the story is from. After that it was 3 215" V8 cars. I continue to watch CraigsList for Vegas, just for old time's sake. They are all 'way too expensive.
                              I think SBG has the radio now. Seattle or Vancouver. C'mon give up the call letters so we can stream. Otherwise it's WJRR Orlando, but my Mom doesn't appreciate what she has.

Comment

Working...
                              X