Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    Do you have the 'stashe' for it, Joe?
    Indeed I do...Well, it's more of a Wyatt Erp, I ride a horse and drive cattle for a living stache but...yeah...it'll do.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post

Indeed I do...Well, it's more of a Wyatt Erp, I ride a horse and drive cattle for a living stache but...yeah...it'll do.
      well then whatcha waiting for? in the land of Arizona, there should be billions of those cars at estate sales. Don't make me send one to you from Washington

the best part about this one, when you're done pimping, you can haul members of the 'family'

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

That one is a bit ugly even by my disturbingly low standards. It is only slightly different than the 76 LTD station wagon I had in high school

If you find a 78 LTD II Sport tho....you give me a call
        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
          That one is a bit ugly even by my disturbingly low standards. It is only slightly different than the 76 LTD station wagon I had in high school

If you find a 78 LTD II Sport tho....you give me a call
          Mom had one... So I kinda know what they look like.
          Crushed quite a few when I ran the crusher...

Comment

So..... I was thinking, "Isn't it odd how the Charger 2.2 isn't scorned nearly as much as the Mustang II?". Of course it was just a package, not a whole car, but still....

So I Google looking for a photo to illustrate. Specifically the two page ad announcing the Charger which I was fond of....

Then I find THIS! A Charger 2.2 even *I* could scorn. Top Down? Butt Ugly. Top UP? HIDEOUS!

With the top up it looks like one of those horrid GM camping attachments, but you have to DRIVE this one THAT way!

How did THIS LIVE for nearly 40 years without being crushed like the cockroach it is? If you own one and love it sorry, but we gotta draw the line SOMEWHERE and THIS line is between two states six states away from here!
            Last edited by RockJustRock; May 2, 2018, 05:11 AM.
            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Keep repeating, "It's only a model car, it's only a model car".

Click image for larger version

Name:	82_Dodge_Charger_2_2_Turbo_004-vi.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1199284
              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Was an improvement over Omni/Horizon...

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                  Keep repeating, "It's only a model car, it's only a model car".

Name:	82_Dodge_Charger_2_2_Turbo_004-vi.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1199284
                  I retailed one back in the day, it wins the award for the slowest car I ever owned. early 60s bugs are faster. It also wins the "least amount of time owned by the buyer" guy bought it, brought it back told me to keep the money, he didn't want the car. Didn't even try to sell it, gave it to my brother who gave it to his girlfriend... strangely, she loved it but she was kind of slow too.

Comment

From one of the old magazines up in the "library":

Name:	DSC07625.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1199295

Faster than the vaunted Pontiac Trans-Am disco-babe bait:

Name:	DSC07626.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1199296

Comment

I hate FWD . . . It has ruined junkyard car building. It makes working on most newer cars completely miserable. It has increased the separation between racing cars and production cars. It has exponentially reduced the number of cheap, build-able cores for grassroots hot rodding . . . forcing most into shrimpy pony cars or portly trucks.

That being said, NOTHING I've ever driven is worse than a stock Type 1 VW (unless it's a stock Type 2 VW).

And I've got a bit of a nostalgic bias for the pre-turbo FWD Mopars (which were really rebadged Simcas and Talbots). I learned to REALLY drive a standard shift transmission in a GF's brand new disco-era Omni (Yes, she patiently taught me a man-skill I quickly adapted to powershifting real '60s muscle).

.. . and that Omni wasn't such a bad place to enjoy stealing second . . . . (Know what I mean, say no more . . . Okay, there wasn't any stealing . . . she left the base open and engraved the invitation . . . .Who needs a smart phone and an "app" when you've got cruzin' the Tastee-Freez with the Bee Gees on the AM radio to set the mood . . . . A buxom young lass in a sundress . . . .. "Night Fever, Night Fever . . ." )

BTW, She was pretty much the only chick who ever really dug the jacked-up, "mag" wheel-shod, Thrush-piped Pontiac heap I was barely making the scene with . . . . But I digress.

Years later, I drove a borrowed Plymouth TC3 (the Mayflower version of the aforementioned Charger) with the brand new 2.2 "Hemi" (Yes they desecrated that legendary moniker with a "Hemi" badge on the first-year 2.2-powered sleds) on the worst honeymoon ever (different babe) . . . . The Mini Mopar on snow-covered mountain roads was the highlight of the trip, if that gives you any idea of how abysmal it was.

And yet, even that Iacocca follymobile would roast a stock Bug. Guaranteed.
                      Last edited by Gateclyve Photographic; May 2, 2018, 07:29 AM.

Comment

In '80 (at age 19) working as a mechanic with a 45 min. commute each-way across the San Fernando Valley including part blvd. and part freeway, I often had the free use of a VW bug or a Ford Granada to fight traffic with. Well...yeah...uhm...I usually just drove my 3 1/2-out-of-4-cylinders-working '74 GT Vega instead. Frankly, for the drive it was a better car.
                        Last edited by Loren; May 2, 2018, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Of course some of you youngsters missed out on the whole disco on AM thing . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                            In '80 (at age 19) working as a mechanic with a 45 min. commute each-way across the San Fernando Valley including part blvd. and part freeway, I often had the free use of a VW bug or a Ford Granada to fight traffic with. Well...yeah...uhm...I usually just drove my 3 1/2-out-of-4-cylinders-working '74 GT Vega instead. Frankly, for the drive it was a better car.
                            Vegas . . . .

During the Iranian hostage crisis and OPEC's run-up in gas prices, everybody in the family went nuts over conserving fuel (except me . .. I stayed with 6.6 liters of premium-fueled tin Indian). Because they were all cheapskates, they bought used Vegas.

Used Vegas with dying engines . . . One was a '74 "Kammback Estate" with a Saginaw four-speed and shelf-paper woodgrain applique holding the rusty body together.. Another was a'74 Kammback Custom with an automatic and air conditioning.

Together there probably wasn't 110 horsepower between them . . . .

Two Vegas . . . empty streets . . . IT'S RACE TIME!

I got stuck in the automatic with the "good engine." Bro whipped the Estate powered by a bug fogger with J.C. Whitney anti-foulers on the spark plugs.

He treed me on the dig. And in over five miles of "rat racing," the Custom couldn't do any better than to get on the left rear quarter of the Estate smoker, which always resulted in a Michael Schumacher-style chop block . . . .

Worst street race ever. Yet even then, those Vegas would have likely thumped a stock VW . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                              From one of the old magazines up in the "library":

Name:	DSC07625.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1199295

Faster than the vaunted Pontiac Trans-Am disco-babe bait:

Name:	DSC07626.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	1199296
                              yeah, no. they forgot a "1" in front of that zero to 60 time. Back then, advertising truth was fluid

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post
                                And yet, even that Iacocca follymobile would roast a stock Bug. Guaranteed.
                                Automatic, smaller 2.0 4 cyl. Nope. Fortunately they painted it brown so you knew what you were getting.

Comment

Working...
                                X