McT HATES Grenadas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL, I stand by my previous statement.

It is not often that a car build rubs me the wrong way, I'm a pretty "live and let live" kinda guy...this one...for some reason...I hate it and, truth be told I don't mind Granadas all that much....

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I don't have a problem with the fact that he built a Granada, and if it's his car, he can put whatever wheels on it he likes... but if he wants it to become someone else's Granada, he is going to be more successful if he lowers the price, and puts more mainstream wheels on it.

Comment

For me the louvres offset any questions about the rims. Put Louvers on ANYTHING and you get an extra up vote from me. The fact he Un-Ghia'd it get's another. Un-Grande your 'Cuda, you're good too. The Luxo packages are nice, the tacky branding and badging aren't. I yearn for a MoPar with the factory overhead console and even cassette. I don't know if it ever had the PADDED opera style vinyl roof, but more points for not having that. In CA those are instant permanent convertible kits as they rot away the steel below. Just one sawzall pass behind the windshield and instant roadster. The Snakes are at least the right BRAND so they pass. Put GT or SS on any other brands BAAD (Not in the good way). Gold striping on Burgundy is good, but it would have compounded the emblem thing so pitfall avoided. You see a little loud looking. I see a TON of loud bullets successfully dodged. He even ADMITS the USMC badges are over the top. To ME personally, Jeff Lutz' and others Yenko badging is worse than ANYTHING on this car. Yenko stripes belong on something just even a BIT Yenko tribute at least, not just Chevy, Fast and Too Plain without them.

Ooopps, I let it slip out. I think Jeff Lutz is the Danny "The Count" Koker of fast street cars. Yes his stuff un-deniably works, but I wouldn't pick him as guest judge for a car show.
        Last edited by RockJustRock; April 25, 2018, 11:02 AM.
        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Your Honor, The Prosectution rests it's case

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Ford-M...xa3R~p&vxp=mtr

My feeling is it will NEVER sell, but shall we play "Guess THAT Reserve!"? I'll open that $40K is not absurd.

THAT paint WOOF!. Exterior Color: Mystic? How do YOU pronounce Mystic in this context? Just because you CAN doesn't mean you should.Yes, I have an unfounded hatred for factory custom Pint..... err Mustang IIs. Except MAYBE THIS one.

Click image for larger version  Name:	7030p.gif Views:	1 Size:	93.9 KB ID:	1198236

He could have made it look more like that and less like it does for similar money. Wouldn't drive much worse.
          Last edited by RockJustRock; April 25, 2018, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
            Your Honor, The Prosectution rests it's case

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-Ford-M...xa3R~p&vxp=mtr

My feeling is it will NEVER sell, but shall we play "Guess THAT Reserve!"? I'll open that $40K is not absurd.

THAT paint WOOF!. Just because you CAN doesn't mean you should.Yes, I have an unfounded hatred for factory custom Pint..... err Mustang IIs. Except MAYBE THIS one.

Click image for larger version Name:	7030p.gif Views:	1 Size:	93.9 KB ID:	1198236

He could have made it look more like that and less like it does for similar money. Wouldn't drive much worse.
            I like this one
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

For me....
              Have it how you want it. Maybe what's really dropping jaws and poisoning the Granada deal is the asking price. That number is kind-of a grade you give yourself, and where results -not effort- count. If you did something over twice or paid some guy 'way too much for something silly, or just generally mis-applied your resources toward something with little market value...you can like it yourself but can't take and don't get credit for that. The market will confirm whether-or-not your grade you are claiming is credible. This guy is like a kid running around school saying "I deserve an A+++ for my work" but...he ain't run it by any actual teacher yet. The asked-for, or rather, demanded price is attracting scrutiny and we can predict by our looking that the real-world grade when and if it would ever come back, would not meet what's being claimed as value.

Sure it's an important thing to the owner and done to his taste but with that dopey-ass price on it, he's just out there pulling everyone's chain.
              Last edited by Loren; April 25, 2018, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Different, yet TASTY.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fairmont 5.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1198241

Nothing over the top except the results.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I like this one
                  Once again, I am TOO OLD and finicky. Why can I like THAT and not THIS (house project car or not). I can't get the phrase "roller skate" out of my brain. That "Hot V" Caddy motor might improve it though....

Click image for larger version  Name:	30715298_1832300493456676_2049826468329947136_o.jpg Views:	1 Size:	179.8 KB ID:	1198248
                  Last edited by RockJustRock; April 25, 2018, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post
                    Well said, Loren.

The biggest lies in all of hot rodding are:

2. "Building a rod is an investment." Reality: Most of the time it's like burning money out in the front yard, and you'll get back pennies on the dollar.

3. "Dare to be different." Reality: Excluding a handful of designer machines, "different" is usually just weird (which isn't necessarily a bad thing).

4. "There are no rules for hot rodding." Reality: See violation game . . . .

5. "Anybody can build a 'bitchin'' hot rod on a budget." Reality: Not even your squeeze believes that canard anymore.

6. "Aftermarket parts fit." Reality: Aftermarket parts fit . . . something else . . . .

7. "Building a rod is always fun." Reality: Cold concrete . .. frozen hands (in most states) . . . stuck parts . . . rust and more rust . . . paint and petroleum products everywhere . . . stiff joints and aching muscles . . . .

8. "Proper stance is everything." Reality: Dragging off bits and pieces at every speed bump and parking lot entrance gets old.

9." . . . it takes a real man to cut 'em up." Reality: A correct restoration is generally much more tedious, time-consuming, and often even more expensive than building a modified vehicle.

10. "Mo Betta! You can't have too many cubes, too much compression, or too much cam." Reality: Single-digit fuel economy and race gas

I'll agree... Most of these either apply to or against building derby cars.
                    We had $6K into a full framed Imperial before the kid and I said "F'it..we don't want to know" Good part is that car got $4K in prize money.. Bad part was it is so well built we have another run in it but no place to run it, thu it sits..
                    We know we are beat dead tired and thus why I always quit the night before to rest and sleep so I can drive the truck next day while both the son and daughter sleep on the way up.. We are kinda famous here in the PNW derby scene for pink cars first and showing up with unpainted cars that get roller painted in the pits.. Both kids are mellow (from their mom). But take after me in the arena. I had the manager of the local welding supply ask me if I had 2 boys named Bob.. No. me Bob and Bob at the State.. "But Bob is so mellow, he is the bad azz that other drivers talk about?!?"
                    We build our motors in a gravel floored building with 2 walls, often beat guys with Baldwin or Gropp motors..
                    Granted.. 3 motors get jumped around from all our cars.. Still...$2k per derby car not counting drivetrain.. To win $1000-3000 per event. Some are more

There are several that pay $10k and those cars are pretty tough.. Nothing stock left.

Comment

I gotta admit, I'm loving how my opinions on cars are whipping up discussion. As far as the Mustang II discussion goes, the prosecution can take it's case and pick a location from the list offered and place it there with a firm shove. I like 'em, don't care who says what.
                      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Everyone has a right to their personal tastes.... I have issues with all of the badging, and someone needs to hire an interior designer! .... really, Pick one color and go with it... black works well, maybe even burgundy, but Tan???? The wheels are dated and need replaced..and he needs to find the right buyer...especially at that price!!.
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Well I'm faxing McT's photo to every DuPont Auto Finish Dealer in a 200 mile radius telling them DO NOT sell this man Chromalusion Paint. That scourge MUST be STOPPED!

I guess it is the Generation thing. There's Gen X then McT came along in Gen Why?
                          Last edited by RockJustRock; April 25, 2018, 07:51 PM.

Comment

O.K., exploring my Ford Fairmont Futura Fetish further (add Fs as you see Fit) these aren't pretty but the price is rough start ready and you get two. Can't be a easy body style to find clean.

https://www.racingjunk.com/Door-Cars...Pro-Stock.html

And to restart the Ford Falcon Futura discussion cut just a LITTLE off the top of the front springs and hope like hell the chassis work could be brought up to cert and this one could be good.

Throwing up for possible sale is one 1964 Falcon Futura Factory hardtop, 260 4 speed car that is an ex race car from several years back. It is now on the street. We have been working on and having fun
                            Last edited by RockJustRock; April 25, 2018, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post

That number is kind-of a grade you give yourself, and where results -not effort- count. If you did something over twice or paid some guy 'way too much for something silly, or just generally mis-applied your resources toward something with little market value...you can like it yourself but can't take and don't get credit for that. The market will confirm whether-or-not your grade you are claiming is credible. This guy is like a kid running around school saying "I deserve an A+++ for my work" but...he ain't run it by any actual teacher yet. The asked-for, or rather, demanded price is attracting scrutiny and we can predict by our looking that the real-world grade when and if it would ever come back, would not meet what's being claimed as value.

Sure it's an important thing to the owner and done to his taste but with that dopey-ass price on it, he's just out there pulling everyone's chain.
                              Great observations.

I've not done much of that "something over twice or paid some guy way too much for something silly" but I'm certain that nearly everything I spend is "generally mis-applied . . . . toward something with little market value," I doubt I could ever get all of my dough back on anything other than a couple of junkers that I bought at near-scrap prices.

That's why resale value shouldn't be much of a consideration when you're driving, building and/or collecting.

Maybe old cars will someday be worth more as the new vehicle market shifts to truckish podmobiles and overstuffed bricks with vestigial beds. . . . .

Comment

Well I'm faxing McT's photo to every DuPont Auto Finish Dealer in a 200 mile radius telling them DO NOT sell this man Chromalusion Paint. That scourge MUST be STOPPED!

I guess it is the Generation thing. There's Gen X then McT came along in Gen Why?
                                Chromalusion has always seemed to me like a colossal waste of money (unless one is painting some sort of bank robbery getaway vehicle). I haven't priced it lately. But it used to sell for $$$$.

I'm not as ratty as the great Freiburger, . . . .

but it seems to me that a vehicle is more useful if it has paint that's relatively cheap and easy to touch up.

Comment

Working...
                                X