Landmarks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landmarks?

The Detroit historical photos post on the main page this morning made me think about landmarks. Most of the things I'd recall as "landmarks" from my childhood and even young adult days are now gone.or so mutilated as to be unrecognizable. (Obviously I didn't pick sufficiently enduring things as my "landmarks" . . . .)

Are landmarks even important anymore?

Are cars instead of places our landmarks?

Is there anything from gearhead culture (Kulture for you "Kustom" folks . . . "petrolhead" for our overseas friends . . . . ) that will outlive us? Or are the things we thought were important going to eventually disappear into the "cloud" of revisionism and "progress?"

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post
    Are landmarks even important anymore?
    GPS has made landmarks obsolete.

Comment

I agree with you that most of the land marks I remember we saw while driving on vacation trips to Florida.

Jimbo

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

GPS has made landmarks obsolete.
        Well certainly for navigation.

I should have been more clear . . . The aspect I was getting at was of landmarks as places for recalling one's own past and for shared inter-generational experiences. Such as places where parents and grandparents can return with their offspring to recall earlier times . . . or to make new memories with at least a minimal expectation that some of the place will be there in a generation or two.

Comment

Like National Parks?
          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Or Washtenaw Dairy in Ann Arbor, MI. Now that sugar is off my menu we tend not to look it up when we're in town but I'm pretty sure it's still there after all these years (like, maybe 80 or so). Eating a cone while sitting on the benches on the sidewalk is an excellent intergenerational experience! (Now I'll Google it and see just how long it HAS been around.)

EDIT: They celebrated their 75th. anniversary - in 2009! I think that means it's 84 years so far.

Dan
            Last edited by DanStokes; April 23, 2018, 03:00 PM.

Comment

O.K. The town I was born and grew up in the Town Square is still there....

Click image for larger version  Name:	delaware.jpg Views:	1 Size:	34.4 KB ID:	1197964

Click image for larger version  Name:	300px-Ny-delaware-ch.png Views:	1 Size:	155.4 KB ID:	1197966

It's REALLY old. The school I went to....

Click image for larger version  Name:	phedavidsondelawareacademy2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	52.5 KB ID:	1197965

Kinda old, picture from 1945, but older. I used to race my bicycles up and down those sidewalks. Pretended the outer one was the return road. Funny thing was NOBODY ever walked on the outer one, I mean why would you? But the oldest building there is where the County was formed in 1790. So yeah if you are from an old part of the country parts are preserved.

In L.A. there was a building in Culver City-Fox Hills that had "Iskenderian Racing Cams" painted on it that stood into the 90s, but I heard it is gone now. I don't cruise around much but car landmarks are out there. Some shops have been in the same spot FOREVER, just no cool signage like BDS in Whittier. And of course Pomona and Bakersfield are Landmarks fer shure man....

Edit: I like to post THE SCHOOL when folks talk about what a wonderful thing home schooling is. Well, maybe, but dies it photograph like THAT?

Edit Duex: Yes I walked a mile through the snow to that school, well, almost.
              Last edited by RockJustRock; April 23, 2018, 03:18 PM.

Comment

The Library across the street....

Click image for larger version  Name:	BeFunky-Collage-brochure-cover-300x271.jpg Views:	1 Size:	26.5 KB ID:	1197969

Cannon Free Library. We always joked, "Why cannon free? The Town Square has NEAT cannons." or "Where is the pay library so I can read Hot Rod?". But the school library had them, almost a mile uphill.

This is next to the library....

Click image for larger version  Name:	lp.jpg Views:	1 Size:	139.1 KB ID:	1197970

The OTHER end had a sign, "No Bicycles". Going up it we could claim we never saw the sign, but coming down we would ride VERY fast to avoid being caught.
                Last edited by RockJustRock; April 23, 2018, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	hilltop theater.JPG Views:	1 Size:	30.6 KB ID:	1197981

The "Tujunga" (CA) theater opened 1938 on Foothill Blvd. Near the mountains as you can see, it would take you about 45 minutes to get to downtown L.A. from here but it was a world away. I grew up with this being the "Hilltop" (same amount of letters) then it would become the "Rainbow". They sometimes hand-painted giant movie posters on the upright portion. This place was forbidden to me as a child, but next to the Foster's Freeze it would tempt until I was old enough to do as I wished, then I saw many movies here on Sunday evenings before the work week. Blues Brothers, Road Warriors... Directly across the street behind the photographer is the liquor store Michael J. Fox bought booze at in the movie "Teen Wolf", we all chuckled when viewing it, seeing something in the movie which was so near the theater we were viewing it in. Above the lobby is a small apartment, when the childhood friend-of-a-friend broke in to burglarize the place, the owner blew a hole in him with a shotgun and went to jail for it, was eventually let off the hook amidst community support. I once impressed a date...or, maybe I didn't...by walking us in for free then always felt like I owed them the ten bucks.

Lotsa minor criminals around that town, mostly drug-related. Some cool guys also. One block behind the photo, a good buddy's big brother would become the Marlin in "Marlin Crawler", a low-ratio transfer-case conversion for Toyotas. Another of the guys a few more blocks up had a little nephew who would later become the movie star Paul Walker (III). If you had a plumbing or sewer problem in that town, you'd look up contractors in the Yellow Pages and probably choose the outfit run by Paul I and Paul II, very straight-up people.

It appears it's finally gone, or at-least heavily remodeled. Must've been since I was there last. Current Google street view:
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	hilltop theater2.JPG Views:	1 Size:	54.7 KB ID:	1197982

Some kinda church, reflecting cultural change to the area. Poo on it.
                  Last edited by Loren; April 23, 2018, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Theaters? We GOT 'em. This one is a small one converted to a chapel. You get a free bag lunch and sermon every Sunday at noon. DON'T ASK how I know this!Click image for larger version  Name:	LC.jpg Views:	1 Size:	68.2 KB ID:	1197986

SOMEWHERE in Wilmington there is a classic 50s burger joint, converted to a strip club that was featured in a movie. Searching starts now.
                    Last edited by RockJustRock; April 23, 2018, 06:42 PM.

Comment

Another, a block away. It had two screens, one now a chapel. You get breakfast, dinner and a cot for 7 days, 10 if you're a Veteran. Seriously these are GOOD causes folks, donate!

Click image for larger version

Name:	bl.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	1197988

Comment

I feel so REMISS!

Click image for larger version

Name:	RD.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	1197992

Comment

Theaters . . . . (BTW, this is standing on the spot where Henry Ford home-built his first car . .. the Quadracycle)

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                            Like National Parks?
                            Yes. But the sorts of more everyday "landmarks" seem to disappear most often.

A short list of some of the personal ones that no longer exist:

-- The places where I saw my first automobile race, first professional football game, first AAA baseball game, first Major League Baseball game . . . .

-- The entire downtown of the place where I spent my elementary school years (Yes the whole thing ;. . . gone).

-- The high school I graduated from

-- The place where I first worked after college.

--The first expressway I ever rode on (and later drove on)

-- Nearly every theater and drive-in I took dates to.

--Every restaurant in the town where I went to high school

--The dealership where I bought my first new vehicle

I guess I've lived in some disposable places . . . .

Comment

Well.... if something was built or altered after about 1950 it generally is gone. Built to look "modern" with no sense of history. Often no sense of PURPOSE even, just BUILD it. Randy's was just built to sell donuts, still does the job quite well. That stretch of the 405 was undercut so they needed something that could be SEEN from a distance. The irony is perfect. An underpass instead of an overpass for esthetics and to avoid upsetting things. A giant donut to function.

Comment

Working...
                              X