No announcement yet.

Landmarks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Library. Hard to find renderings because the last one was mired in controversy. Thousands of books lost to the roof leaks. Very UN-Library like. Books are precious so we house them in a sieve. Progress on the library is at a crawl because the Old one becomes a Park. The Old Park becomes the New Library and the homeless become parkless to hang out in during construction.

But click, it's GOOD! Just like the old one you could hold sporting events in the open spaces. Drone racing anyone?

My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
      Lawyers..... We're talking Courthouse, remember?
      Anyway, this time WE are going HUGE because paid for with that creatively obtained public land of which I spoke. Look at THESE as wampum for acres..... They are betting BIG on the Port Commission because they are bunking up with them in these.

Click image for larger version

Name:	longbeachcc_cityhall_porthq_1575x900_som_nephewla_01jpg.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	1198391
      yeah, looks like the Microsoft campus there are dozens of buildings like this.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

New Library. Hard to find renderings because the last one was mired in controversy. Thousands of books lost to the roof leaks. Very UN-Library like. Books are precious so we house them in a sieve. Progress on the library is at a crawl because the Old one becomes a Park. The Old Park becomes the New Library and the homeless become parkless to hang out in during construction.

But click, it's GOOD! Just like the old one you could hold sporting events in the open spaces. Drone racing anyone?

https://www.som.com/projects/long_be...r_main_library
        that's funny, they just blew up a building that looked like that up here - it was old - and now apparently new in California

Comment

SoCal is nothing if not fun to watch....

Comment

SoCal is nothing if not fun to watch....
            yes, but just like the zoo, we need a wall at our border

Comment

A wall between California and Oregon? No problem. Referendum for Oregon to pay should pass with FLYING colors. Curious, what are the lemmings that flock to the NW called behind their backs up there? I loved it when it was Diegos Vs. Zoners. Diegos snapping up cheap land and Zoners hogging up beaches when airfares were dirt cheap. Funny as hell seeing an airplane full of Zoners in beach togs and Diegos carrying briefcases.

When I first got to Phoenix the locals were fighting any added freeways to avoid becoming LA. At EVERY busy intersection the gutters twinkled with broken headlight glass from all the fender benders from the overloaded city streets and no real reason for Mother Nature or anyone else to clean it up. When I got to LA it was a period when stolen car stereos were an easy snatch and sell. Every morning piles of window glass next to cars, Landmarks of Lunacy.

Comment

I can sum up the problem in just a few words.

We were doing fine without you, now take you and your opinions and get the hell back to wherever you came from.

You can always recognize them too - they start their sentences with "when I lived in _____, we did _____" implying that they did it better wherever they came from. No, you didn't otherwise you wouldn't have left.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  Tillamook air museum - the blimp hanger doesn't look large until you get up to it.... then it's astounding. While you're there, there's a cheese place that has good cheese.

Was with Dad in a truck, went in one end to the middle, unloaded, out the other..
                  Was a planer mill in there for alder.. Then when they started preserving the blimp hanger, the mill had to move..
                  I was pre teen then..

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    I can sum up the problem in just a few words.

We were doing fine without you, now take you and your opinions and get the hell back to wherever you came from.

You can always recognize them too - they start their sentences with "when I lived in _____, we did _____" implying that they did it better wherever they came from. No, you didn't otherwise you wouldn't have left.
                    How many crash and burn at the first sign of REAL weather? I could NEVER handle THAT again.... I'd be Wisco-bound if I thought I could.

Comment

BACK to Long Beach. Right about now THIS is an embattled local landmark. It's SORTA old. Snoop Doggy Dog shot a music video there. It even SAYS "World Famous" RIGHT on it. I'd rather see it stay than go, but won't cry if it does. Like SoCal, it just is what it is....

Name:	V.I.P-Records-b.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	1198563

Comment

Portland has a Paul Bunyan statue.
                        Saw it as a kid... Then freshly married and LOST...saw it again.. Never again since.. 40+ yrs.
                        Supposedly being restored.. Whatever that means..

Comment

Rural Wisconsin just didn't DO eminent domain. THIS was where I used to wring out my spankin' new '75 V8 Monza. By the time I chattered into the 'lil yellow dot stop sign at the top the solid Vega sized front brake rotors were glowing and spewing asbestos smoke. Drove DEEP into all those 90 degree bends. Lightly travelled county trunk with great visibility so I could woah down if I spotted ANYTHING sharing the road.

Click image for larger version Name:	d.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.9 KB ID:	1198113

PB on the right was for my LSR runs.
                          Bump.

Be sure to consider scale here. Some of those straights approach a full mile. Turn radii aren't apparent. The bulk of the 90s are wide and slightly banked. They can be taken at 60-70 MPH. The 60 degree near the bottom is tight and flat, maybe off camber and on top of a small hill. It drives like most of the 90s. The high speed bends in the middle were my favorite and the second of that pair of 90s is square. And more fun bottom to top because of THAT stop sign. A few times I ended up into the intersection, brakes nearly totally faded out. Ahhhh, youth and exuberance!

Later on I bought a Super Snooper. I wasn't into road burning at that point but my girlfriends wanted it for a cross country trip we never got around to taking because they came to their senses. Because Car And Driver rated the Snooper series so much better than the Fuzzbusters the local PD wanted to test it so we did on the bottom long straight. I got the detect and hit my headlights so quick after the 60 degree he had to agree it was good but the test inconclusive. While we were discussing the results a youngster didn't notice us and got nabbed at 110 MPH. Got let off with a warning because THAT straightaway. I hated rural life THEN, but NOW, what a way to live out your youth!

Oh Yes. In 1997 after I was long gone Duluth Trading moved their HQ to the first straight upon leaving the village. Is this story colorful enough yet? Out of all the 2,500 Pop. podunks in the country I landed there.

It made national news for a UFO sighting as well but this has already gone on too long.
                          Last edited by RockJustRock; April 28, 2018, 08:46 AM.

Comment

SBG and the great state of Washington kickin' butt!

Comment

Living in the land of real weather and loving it... BTW working at a landmark that has been in full operation starting in 1934... construction started in 1931... one year before our 32 chevy which has been in the family since new...

Name:	4d7e61b02412e.image.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	1198698Click image for larger version

Name:	210px-Mississippi_River_bridge_dam_Davenport_LOC_ppmsca_17351.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	1198699Click image for larger version

Name:	GRR13-lock-dam-15-4.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	1198700
                              Attached Files
                              Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

SBG and the great state of Washington kickin' butt!

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/bigges...=AD_VARIANT_ID
                                AFAIK there is no blimp hanger in Washington... Tillamook is in Oregon, on the coast.

Comment

Working...
                                X