No announcement yet.

Landmarks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw my first race here. It was only a horse race. They stopped racing cars at the fair when someone got hurt in the 50s. Stopped racing horses too. Too violent, people insisted on betting and too much hassle getting stuff in and out. I just saw the horses go by because you had to pay to sit in the grandstands. Saw my first auto events there. Joey Chitwood and Demolition Derby.

I'll remember the barns though. One day a cow looked sick. I went and grabbed the nearest farmer looking guy. "This cow is sick, there are blood and bones coming out of it's butt.". When he saw it he said "it's not sick, those aren't bones and that's not it's butt". I said "O.K., gotta go" but he said I HAD to stay and watch what was next. He wrapped a shiny chain around the bones and yanked a little cow out of the big cow. The little cow stood up and walked right away. I said that was interesting but I'd rather get on to the midway. He said "You SURE must live in town, huh?". My Mother laughed SO hard when I told her about it all.

The little wooded area is the most endearing part. There were fish ponds in it.

Looks so different full and empty:Click image for larger version

Name:	fg2.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	225.7 KB
ID:	1198050
    Click image for larger version  Name:	fg.jpg Views:	1 Size:	326.9 KB ID:	1198044
    Last edited by RockJustRock; April 24, 2018, 07:48 AM.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I never rode my bicycle there. It was in the next town over. It originally was in our town, but got too big for the fairgrounds. The solid oval is where they had the horse shows. Ours has been replaced by a soccer field. CHARLATANS! Most of my time there they let a farmer grow corn where the little league diamond wasn't. Couldn't waste good land. I still hot lapped my bicycle and mini bike around the remnants. OH YES, I had a mini bike. When snowmobiles were the rage they raced them there too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	legion field.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	1198052.

Comment

I keep waiting for someone to yell, "STOP THAT!".

Comment

The Athens Theater in my hometown was opened in 1922 as a Silent Film and Vaudeville theater and went through many changes over the years, such as original seats being removed and platforms added to accommodate a Diner Theater in the 1980's.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SYVBMqsO_400x400.jpg Views:	1 Size:	77.3 KB ID:	1198069

In in the early 1970's it was converted into a Cinema Theater and when I was 14-years old, I worked there on Saturday mornings cleaning up after the Kiddie Matinee for free movie tickets. This is what it looked like back then.

Click image for larger version  Name:	large.jpg Views:	1 Size:	78.9 KB ID:	1198070

In the early 2000's, they renovated it completely, back to its original splendor.

Name:	Athens%20Theater%20Interior.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	1198097

Comment

The cities I've lived in the pretty ones stay pretty the ugly ones get uglier....

Click image for larger version  Name:	Phoenix_AZ_Downtown_from_airplane.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.13 MB ID:	1198075
            Attached Files
            Last edited by RockJustRock; April 24, 2018, 11:01 AM.

Comment

The hit man Richard Kulklinski, AKA "The Ice Man" house in my home town still stands. he lived a few houses down the block from my friend

Richard Kuklinski's House (former) (Google Maps). Richard "The Iceman" Kuklinski, the mass murderer and contract killer, lived here with his family prior to his arrest in 1986.
              Tom
              Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Lots of landmarks gone.
                Just found out today the city is enniment domaining 50 ft of my property they could have avoided if they built roads right..
                In 2 years I will be taxed out of my home..

Comment

Rural Wisconsin just didn't DO eminent domain. THIS was where I used to wring out my spankin' new '75 V8 Monza. By the time I chattered into the 'lil yellow dot stop sign at the top the solid Vega sized front brake rotors were glowing and spewing asbestos smoke. Drove DEEP into all those 90 degree bends. Lightly travelled county trunk with great visibility so I could woah down if I spotted ANYTHING sharing the road.

Click image for larger version  Name:	d.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.9 KB ID:	1198113

PB on the right was for my LSR runs.
                  Last edited by RockJustRock; April 24, 2018, 05:23 PM.

Comment

military stuff is interesting.

bangor maine used to host everything for the air force...army mixed in.

I used to visit an old bunker turned into a garage. guy had 80s subarus. been there long enough, trees grewo on top.
                    could fool people entirely looking from above, but the path is busy.
                    Walking the perimeter in bangor airport, I found a peculiar concrete scenario with a path that was wide enough for a fighter.

in the woods. all grown in now..

they used to hide some of the fighters, and the pilots had to sit in a little concrete office covered over in the forest.

cold war insanity.

seeing a car past 30yrs is about as landmark as they will get.
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                      Rural Wisconsin just didn't DO eminent domain. THIS was where I used to wring out my spankin' new '75 V8 Monza. By the time I chattered into the 'lil yellow dot stop sign at the top the solid Vega sized front brake rotors were glowing and spewing asbestos smoke. Drove DEEP into all those 90 degree bends. Lightly travelled county trunk with great visibility so I could woah down if I spotted ANYTHING sharing the road.

Click image for larger version Name:	d.jpg Views:	1 Size:	49.9 KB ID:	1198113

PB on the right was for my LSR runs.
                      Looks like a fun road!

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Donovan View Post
                        military stuff is interesting.

bangor maine used to host everything for the air force...army mixed in.

I used to visit an old bunker turned into a garage. guy had 80s subarus. been there long enough, trees grewo on top.
                        could fool people entirely looking from above, but the path is busy.
                        Walking the perimeter in bangor airport, I found a peculiar concrete scenario with a path that was wide enough for a fighter.

in the woods. all grown in now..

they used to hide some of the fighters, and the pilots had to sit in a little concrete office covered over in the forest.

cold war insanity.

seeing a car past 30yrs is about as landmark as they will get.
                        Reminds me a bit of how the developers hosed El Toro (years after the death of nearby OICR)

I like to visit Pima . . . they've got a lot of the aircraft I grew up with

Welcome to one of the world's largest aerospace museums, (THE largest privately-funded nongovernmental) known for its significant collection—size: 300+, variety: commercial, private/civil and military.

Comment

When Charlie Allen, THIS Charlie Allen.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	1_allen__charlie_8.jpg Views:	1 Size:	53.5 KB ID:	1198207

Built Firebird International, he said he put it I'm the middle of an Indian Reservation so developers couldn't touch it, EVER. Now that it is Wild Horse Pass, I don't believe that played out well, huh? I don't think it was developers that desecrated the OCIR tower like that. Quite possibly it was racers or fans like Charlie did that. But El Toro? I've been ranting on THAT on my FB (politics intensive) page. First a Veteran's Cemetery that violated Asian tenets of Feng Shui was AXED from the agreed on proposal, now they are building stuff like THIS:

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.6835...4!8i8192?hl=en

Hopefully Tustin MCAS which is moving more slowly won't end up like THAT. They are already getting "landmark" status for the Blimp Hangar there:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tustin_Blimp_Hangar_No_2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	717.3 KB ID:	1198208
                          Last edited by RockJustRock; April 25, 2018, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Oh yes, "The Great Park" at El Toro (I refuse to say IRVINE) is MAINLY Soccer Fields, LOTS of Soccer Fields, CRETINS! I feel Foot Hockey is nothing but Euros infiltrating to take back the Colonies.
                            Last edited by RockJustRock; April 25, 2018, 09:54 AM.

Comment

I was thinking of OCIR last night driving up from San Diego. Another one that brought tears to my eyes was the death of Irvine Meadows Amphitheater , one of the best outdoor concert venues ever, I saw some really great bands there! Torn down in favor of Yuppie-housing, like the traffic in south OC isn't bad enough already!

Name:	irvinemeadows_drone.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	1198216
                              Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

lots of them are all gone from my hometown. interestingly, here in Tucson they try to save them as much as possible...they being the city OR preservation type folks.

I'll never forget this place. The last one on the east coast and the tore it down for a fricken overpass...

I was a bit sad when they tore down 3 Rivers stadium even tho it sucked out loud for viewing any sport or concert.

[/img]https://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/three4.jpg[/img]

Jerry's Curb Service is still around, my dad used to cruise here BITD, me and my buddies did as well in the late 80's.

Here they restored this cool old theater. We viewed American Graffiti here just a few weeks ago. It was awesome to see it on a big screen!

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Working...
                                X