RIP Patrick McManus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Patrick McManus

Boring as a speaker, but amazing as a writer and even better as an outdoorsman.

Patrick McManus, the New York Times best-selling humorist and outdoor writer from the Spokane area, died on Wednesday. He was 84.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Rip Patrick McManus,
    I don't remember right off reading his material but the characters Crabtree and Muldoon do ring a bell.
    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

The stories and the Last Laugh were my favorites!

Comment

RIP...
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

RIP Patrick, what a great writer.

My favorite tale of his was about the timber wolf that chased him on his bicycle.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

One of my favorite writers growing up...was the only reason I read Outdoor Life. Best story I read involved a turkey with a stomach issue interrupting a turkey hunt.
            Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

when he was on his roll, he didn't have a 'bad' story, but my favorite has to be the grasshopper trap with 'the night the bear ate goomba' being a close second.

When I was going to academy day (day with 8th graders go to the high school to be measured for lockers) the night before I stayed at my friend's house with another of our friends. Both he and the other guy were reading the articles in his older brother's Playboys. I was reading "A Fine and Pleasant Misery" - and laughing so hard I was in tears. My friends were both telling me to shush because they were afraid they would get caught with their reading material.

Comment

That's sad to hear. My wife had bought me one of his books where he tried to explain his writing as a birthday present a few days ago.

Comment

I use his Panic* story in teaching new SARs about getting and remaining unlost.

*he relates how professionals tell you first not to panic, he disagrees then describes different methods of panic from ricochet to full bore linear panics; he also explains group panics and how to deal with people who argue with their compass.
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 17, 2018, 03:56 PM.

Comment

I never heard of him but he sounds like a character . R I P
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

my favorite was fenton quagmire.

i read all of mcmanus' books, i think
                      my fav was 'they shoot canoes dont they'.

Comment

My fav that I'm sure we can all relate to is his story about how to get your wife to come out and help you wire up trailer lights!

Comment

Working...
                        X