Barrett-Jackson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrett-Jackson

Live from Palm Beach. The 1964 Ford Good Humor ice cream truck went for $107K. They went crazy over it.

I love watching the auctions, just because. But the Velo folks, how much time do they have to spend detailing the body design differences between the tri-5 Chevy's? Like, we didn't already know. Well, maybe some folks don't, because they just have to do that every time they're on the air. Just sayin.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

For some folks - a lot of work getting ready, and not much reward by the time you count travel expenses, and paying the auction house. They ain't all getting rich with no effort, or we'd be doing it too.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I'm too DAMN old for BJ. The auction that is. I hear "Day 2 Restoration" or "VERY tasteful resto-mod" and I throw uo in my mouth a little. I do enjoy when they say "He got that for the used car price". ALL those Fox Bodies from the GMG sidekick. The "provenance" of Dennis Collins as the seller just DIDN'T kick in.
      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Kinda to Stude's point, they sold a custom car they had $180K into building and it sold for about a third of that.

Comment

Some of those cars on the auction merry go round must have more owners than miles on them...

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
            Some of those cars on the auction merry go round must have more owners than miles on them...
            HAH!!! they DO, some of them actually DO. If you "gave" me one of those rare muscle cars with 74 miles on it, I'd pound the hell out of it, that's what the car wants. I would RENT a race track to pound the hell out of it.

Comment

Folks can do what they want with their own stuff.

But I'm glad there are some caretaker-types who conserve pristine, low-mile examples for future generations . . . and for restorers who resist the profit-seeking urge to turn everything into a cliche "350/350" "resale red" catalog car "street rod" or a clapped-out rat or a pimp-mobile on rubber-band "dub" tires. Seeing a stock 1930s Ford is frankly more interesting to me than most rods now.

It's a big tent and there's room for all.

Nearly everything at Barrett Jackson events sells for many times what I'd pay.

And it never ceases to amaze me the money folks waste on useless stuff that doesn't make the car quicker or faster . . . and the "builds" that slap 600+ "crate motor" horsepower into something that lacks even minimal competition safety equipment.

I enjoy the challenge of telling those I watch with the trivia before Magnante or one of the others says it, so I can say "See, that's what I just said." But other than that and playing the "still in"/"I'm out" game on a few lower--priced and more obscure models, it's kind of a "meh" show these days. How many boring crate motor shoebox Chevies rolling on 24"s or C-10s can anyone really appreciate in one setting?

I really don't understand why they air post-2000 Euro sedans rolling across the block. They're just used cars at this point. Cut to commercial already.
              Last edited by Gateclyve Photographic; April 13, 2018, 04:35 PM.

Comment

I'm also wondering if Mike Joy has yet uttered that a Jaguar E-Type or XKE is a "crumpet collector." . . . That's a B-J drinking game phrase if you're into that sort of thing.

Or how about Craig Jackson lamenting "this is WAY under the money!" (which almost never results in much of a price increase) Or that sunglasses dude saying stuff like "pay attention" and "real opportunity."

Why is it that the diminutive Cristy Lee never seems to treat us to a nice cocktail dress on the "Velo" B-J broadcasts . . . Her wardrobe is thrift-shop horrible. (I was hoping they'd put Rachel DeBarros on the announce team . . . . )

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post
                  I'm also wondering if Mike Joy has yet uttered that a Jaguar E-Type or XKE is a "crumpet collector."
                  Until I ever saw Mike Joy doing the auction coverage, I thought from years back that he was just another NASCAR talker, back when I watched that. Mike is an over-the top car guy, a walking history book for cars. It's either that, or he's the best prepared liar that's ever been. I think he's the real deal though.

Comment

Two observations from out here in the boonies:
                    1. It's an auction. Anything can happen.
                    2. The TV coverage is a production, just like 'Survivor' or 'Sister Wives'. Another reality TV show. Meant to entertain the easily entertained.
                    I watch simply to see what people pay for cars.........and like most sports TV coverage, I mute it if I get tired of the canned comments.
                    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

it's so entertaining to listen to people who are watching other people spend money.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        it's so entertaining to listen to people who are watching other people spend money.
                        I've wondered how would you get set up to bid online or on the phone? I never would, but how do they know you're for real and actually have the money you're bidding?

Comment

I only watch B&J to see what year cars are selling and for how much.

I notice cars older then the 60's seem to take forever to sell.

Jim

Comment

Its the age- guys that wanted those real old cars because they had them in high school, or their parents had them, are going away. Its the 50s-60s now. And I am sure it will turn into the 70s-80s at some point too (TA's, early supras, and M cars).

There was a '68 GT500 convertible there that my friend restored. Wonder what it went for.
                            Local person
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X