Motor oil shelf life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor oil shelf life?

So what is the shelf life of motor oil? I have so really old quarts that someone gave me the were cleaning out their Dad's shop.

and I noticed today while changing the oil in the lawn mower that I have enough half quarts to change it next year. The oldest one is at least 4 years old and could be up to 7.

​​
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

Since motor oil is millions of years old already, I'd blind guess there's no expiration. But that's just a blind guess.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Vintage Oil...... I'd like some Arco Graphite. Dirty, Dirt cheap. High change interval When I changed my stuff over to it it just felt smoove.
      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I'd put it in my push mower or that suburban your going to trade off .
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

My daddy was big on oil, I inherited cases of motor oil my mom didn't know what to do with. I poured it into whatever and eventually used it all up. But I wouldn't pour that into Red, so I understand the concern.

Comment

Annnnnd..... Isn't it interesting that Synthetic Oil has gotten cheaper ovet the last 40 years? Started out at $6 minimum for ANYTHING and now just over $4 for Mobil One. That along with the obvious quirk that gas prices vary all over because of oil prices and oil oil stays the same. But NO, ignore the man behind the curtain, gas prices are NOT fixed.
            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Buuuuuuuut Russell has a question. And I'm of the belief that motor oil is forever. Unfounded belief, no knowledge behind it, I believe there is no expiration date on motor oil.

Comment

If it were in a paper can with metal ends, then it might be getting old by now... if it's in a plastic bottle, it will be fine.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                  If it were in a paper can with metal ends, then it might be getting old by now... if it's in a plastic bottle, it will be fine.
                  x2. I just put oil in my T-bird yesterday that I'm sure the bottles are several years old. Found them hiding in a bucket under junk when I moved.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I had one bottle that got pushed to the back of the shelf after I added it there was film in the bottom almost like it separated?
                    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                    ​​​​​​

Comment

Hey Russell, check your PMs, I sent you a question.

Comment

If it's really old I pour it into my old oil can with the pull trigger and I use it around the shop or the home for things like a bike chain or ever the hinges on the shop gate.

Jimbo

Comment

Working...
                        X