Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS

Geograhic Prediction Scandal.

We have two of them. I got the second one when I started to lose faith in the first one. The newest one, Sue Unit named it, "The Annoying One." You go 5 over the limit, it yells "Speed Warning!" over and over. She never shuts up. And if you tell her to shut up, she DOES. She won't even say when to turn at an iintersection.

But the new one, she'll do one cool thing: Take us to an address while avoiding the interstate. We're going to try that out. Let's see how that goes, on a long trip, and we have nothing but time for scenery and tractors and cows in the road. Film at eleven.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Go in and set your settings, speed limits, type of roads, voice settings and such.
    Nice chatting with you!
    Last edited by corvettedad; April 2, 2018, 06:04 PM.
    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
      Go in and set your settings, speed limits, type of roads, voice settings and such.
      Not available. It's a Rand McNally. It is what it is. There are some settings, but not many at all.

Comment

iPhone! Easy peasy!

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
          iPhone! Easy peasy!
          Android! It's all I use.
          Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
          If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

ya know, google maps does all of that - and tells you the best routes for biking, walk, even taking the bus.... all for free.....
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

It's like people who Google things and watch YouTube on their phones then say "I wish I was good at computers". They are, they just don't realise it.
              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Do they even sell fold out paper maps at gas stations any more ?

Comment

Sell???? Those were free. Some idiots felt if people had maps they would travel more and EVERYBODY would sell more gasoline. Businessmen were SO stupid in the 60s!

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
                    Maybe not, but we got one for free at a national park stop on the Natchez Trace Parkway last week, We used that and a real big paper road atlas to bypass Birmingham last week.when everybody was wrecking on I-65. Find it, see it, drive it. Maps still work, they always will.

While we were down there in Covington, Big Dave said F a GPS, he still uses maps. I mean, he was home when we got there. He got back to there somehow from everywhere else.

Comment

I use real maps, too, though I'm not above printing out Google Maps which seem to work well for the places I want to go. Don't own a GPS - or a smart phone (I'm a dino).

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
                        They have them free when you cross over a state line and stop at visitors center, they are usually up to date.

Comment

Originally posted by stroker al View Post

They have them free when you cross over a state line and stop at visitors center, they are usually up to date.
                          Good point! I'll try to remember to pick some up on the trip to and from AR.

Dan

Comment

The price to know where you are in L.A. is $20. When I moved here I looked for a wall map for my office. I got laughed at. Looked for a map to MAKE a wall map. More high comedy. I had to use one of THESE with Post Its hanging out of it to keep track of my customers. L.A. is just too effectively SPRAWLED.

Local Urban Legend: Thomas puts at least one glaring error on EVERY page. Making a map with the same error gets you sued by Thomas for copyright infringement. Come To L.A. These are your tools. We wish you luck!

https://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Guide-.../dp/0528014897
                            Last edited by RockJustRock; April 4, 2018, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Well, it's official now. Sue Unit and I are Professional Grade Joyriders.

Our intent was to get to the place in Arkansas where the ECTA event will be held. Because we could. And scope it out and get a feel for where the motels, facilities, etc. are. We told the new GPS to take us there by avoiding freeways. It sure did.....almost. We spent hours driving on beautiful roads that all looked like THIS, notice all the traffic in the photo.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010155.JPG Views:	1 Size:	48.6 KB ID:	1196079

There was one more choce on the GPS, avoid ferries. I never thought of that. It took us right down beautiful backroads to the landing for the Hickman Ferry in Kentucky. It was not running, broken down, engine trouble.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010156.JPG Views:	1 Size:	87.4 KB ID:	1196080

So now what? Let's GPS our way up to Indiana and go over those bridges. Bridges across the Mississippi are hundreds of miles apart. We cruised across the bridge over the Ohio River.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010161.JPG Views:	1 Size:	32.1 KB ID:	1196081

Got off of that bridge and was facing the one across the Mississippi into Arkansas.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010163.JPG Views:	1 Size:	59.8 KB ID:	1196082

Well hell, NOW what? Back home, not meant to be on this outing. We got to looking up motels when we had been out driving for about 8 hours and we ended up staying at the same one where we stayed last night. "We're baaaaaaaack....."
                              Last edited by pdub; April 4, 2018, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X