Motor Trend/Roadkill Leaves YouTube, Mighty Car Mods Share Their Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor Trend/Roadkill Leaves YouTube, Mighty Car Mods Share Their Thoughts

Interesting...somehow I missed the memo that Motor Trend is moving all their shows off YouTube.
    I am not surprised in the least! There are other bloggers out there that breakdown the YouTube payment structure and it would never pay for the production costs of a show like Roadkill or the others...

With print media dying, they are shifting to another medium. Grabbing a video based audience with free shows is a good idea....transitioning that audience from free to paying...is A LOT trickier.
    I hear that Freiburger and Finnegan are really getting roasted on social media...but I'm afraid its just people have gotten used to dirt cheap entertainment.
    People are willing to spend $1 a day at a red box to rent a movie...MTOD is 3 bucks for the month with original content, so I can't see where the pricing is too out of line?

Mighty Car Mods took the time to put their thoughts out there and it is eye opening what production costs of even a small "for fun" video production.

I'd pay for MCM and I won't pay for MTOD.... of course, I pay for DirectTV.

I was leaning towards subscribing to MTOD, but I don't see much of a connection with any of them, so I simply don't bother then Jason left.... they do their deal and it isn't my deal.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Move the MTOD stuff to Velocity/Discovery and sell more commercials. Fixed.

Last edited by Gateclyve Photographic; March 23, 2018, 07:26 AM.

Comment

I sub to MTOD. Watching RK, DED, RKG, EM and others is something my boys and I enjoy doing together. Much better use of the Xbox than playing games!!
        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post
          I sub to MTOD. Watching RK, DED, RKG, EM and others is something my boys and I enjoy doing together. Much better use of the Xbox than playing games!!
          I build stuff in my garage, bonus is my tool-throwing accuracy is much improved.

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post
            Move the MTOD stuff to Velocity/Discovery and sell more commercials. Fixed.
            they aren't good enough, the market they sell to is so small that no one will pick up their show. Discovery is giving them a try but I bet in the end very little will survive.... the "we create drama by making stupid decisions" works until no one gets hurt.... then no one cars. Don't forget, Jackass tried TV too and couldn't even make a go of it on MTV.

Comment

I watch Gas Monkey Garage on my daughter's tv.. Son in law wisely switches from cop shows to this for me..When I sit with the girls during the 1-1/2 hr gap when they are alone..
              That green Z is looking real nice.. Little bit of drama, but that is part of the shows..
              Aaron's new show is pretty entertaining.. Was surprised he didn't know who Jessi Combs was! Mighta been drama thread... I do because she made one of her attempts at speed in SE Oregon..

Comment

Looks like the youtube based video's may still be free for a while on MT.com but with ad's. Subscribers obviously won't see ads.
                It makes sense. If YouTube needs to make money and is taking a cut, you could keep that cut and control the terms by hosting it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

they aren't good enough, the market they sell to is so small that no one will pick up their show. Discovery is giving them a try but I bet in the end very little will survive.... the "we create drama by making stupid decisions" works until no one gets hurt.... then no one cars. Don't forget, Jackass tried TV too and couldn't even make a go of it on MTV.
                  You could have a TV or five in the shop . . . Just sayin'

Discovery owns MTOD, so who knows what "synergies" will emerge.

BTW, "Street Outlaws: No Prep Kings" beat everything on cable Wednesday, 21 Mar, but NBA and "Black Ink Crew." . . . Of course (spoiler alert) there were crashes . . . No injuries, though.

My wild guess is that a low-rated show on Velocity is pulling in more eyeballs and revenue than any show on MTOD. And Velocity/Discovery each still seems to have sched space . . . too many reruns.

Without compelling talent, decent writing/directing/editing, and interesting hooks, no show survives very long.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                    I watch Gas Monkey Garage on my daughter's tv.. Son in law wisely switches from cop shows to this for me..When I sit with the girls during the 1-1/2 hr gap when they are alone..
                    That green Z is looking real nice.. Little bit of drama, but that is part of the shows..
                    Aaron's new show is pretty entertaining.. Was surprised he didn't know who Jessi Combs was! Mighta been drama thread... I do because she made one of her attempts at speed in SE Oregon..
                    I'm still shocked at how many viewers seem to like "Gas Monkey Garage" . . . A little surprised Aaron didn't know of Jessi Combs, considering how long she's been on TV in various gearhead roles ("Xtreme 4x4" (over 90 episodes), ."Overhaulin', ""Mythbusters," "The List: 1001 Car Things To Do Before You Die," "All Girls Garage", "Science Channel's How to Build......Everything. ")

Maybe he's just too busy building stuff to watch TV.
                    Last edited by Gateclyve Photographic; March 23, 2018, 02:40 PM.

Comment

I liked old Roadkill ok but after a while it became whitebread entertainment. I was disappointed when TEN folded Roadkill mag and left Elana high and dry. She's one of the best writers the car hobby has, period. Early on I had my doubts about her, but as time passed I grew to love her style and I looked forward to reading her articles. I hope she keeps writing and lands somewhere good, or makes her own way. As far as Roadkill goes they don't entertain me enough to wanna pay to see them. Mike seems like a good dude, and Dave seems ok, but I get a 'I don't have time for you' 'I got more important people to talk to' vibe from him. I don't know either of them personally, that's just the impression I get.

I wish both of them the best of luck.

Comment

I've learned a lot about You Tube from Roadkill. I've met people with NO interest in fast cars that watch it. They just saw it recommended. Also with popularity it depends on the marketplace. When I worked with Comic Books I told my boss an article in Rolling Stone would shake up the industry. He doubted me. I asked him how many people buy Comics. He said a few issues of X-Men broke one million. At that time RS was in it's prime. An average issue sold EIGHT million. So TEN has a hit with Roadkill. Well, maybe, a miss on You Tube is bigger than a hit in the specialty magazine market. Rolling Stone probably even has trouble cracking one million these days. Since Roadkill's success DOESN'T necessarily reflect it's roots in HRM or TEN it's Jackass On Wheels. You Tube is MILES ahead of ANY other video sharing site or PPV service. So if MTOD is the most successful PPV EVER they will still lose eyeballs from when they were on You Tube. Ad revenue won't save them if subscribership doesn't carry them. HRM is familiar with fads, gocarts, minibikes, custom vans, kit cars, dune buggies, need I go on? Hopefully they will continue to keep their eye on their bread and butter and even expand their audience. I liked them hiring the drift guy, well, the drift/hot rod guy. I wish them the best of luck, but.......

Can the folks that brought you Jackass On Wheels translate it into Netflix On Wheels? How long did Jackass last anyway?
                        Last edited by RockJustRock; March 23, 2018, 08:00 PM.
                        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post

You could have a TV or five in the shop . . . Just sayin'

Discovery owns MTOD, so who knows what "synergies" will emerge.

BTW, "Street Outlaws: No Prep Kings" beat everything on cable Wednesday, 21 Mar, but NBA and "Black Ink Crew." . . . Of course (spoiler alert) there were crashes . . . No injuries, though.

My wild guess is that a low-rated show on Velocity is pulling in more eyeballs and revenue than any show on MTOD. And Velocity/Discovery each still seems to have sched space . . . too many reruns.

Without compelling talent, decent writing/directing/editing, and interesting hooks, no show survives very long.
                          I could, but then I wouldn't have a sweet FJ40 nor would the Corvette get done. Not just that but then I'd never get to the 50 Buick that's getting carbon fiber.
                          Even GMG has gotten a bit boring to me.
                          Aaron hasn't hit his rhythm (if there is even one - that's not talent to bring a 130 hp diesel to a race where everyone else has 500 or more hp)... he's trying so hard to be not-Richard that it's only a matter of time before he's slicking his hair and saying "wooo"....

Street Outlaws (which DirectTV keeps recording for me in hopes that I watch it) has always been about the "do they get caught" or "do they get killed" .... the most watched episode ever was the one where Crow wrecked. (which brings the aside of how stupid Richard was to run that race against him.... Richard's driver has no clue about street racing, races only 1/4 mile, and is really good at that game..... Crow2 was the car Big Chief got his name - and it was standard race for him.... not just that but he got in Richard's head with that silly argument about Richard cheating.... and Richard got owned.).... and no, I still won't watch it.

Car shows are nothing more then mechanical soap operas.... not my deal.

As for YouTube, it was a wise move to move the pros off and let guys like these guys show you the future and why I'm not afraid of the next gen - grow or die, cut the dead wood.
                          We like to build cars and do things that aren't the norm. Make sure you subscribe and stay in tune with some of the random automotive builds we may create. For extra behind the scenes content check us out on instagram: @streetbandito_ @industrygarage

As I said before, I've never been thrilled with David Freiburger - he reminds me way too much of the kid who helped the legend, then was given the reins when the legend passed or moved on.... but has no real talent on his own.... his life and experience most certainly isn't over and he could be a next Grey, but at this point, he's a little man with a big ego. And no, I've never met him, interacted with him a bit on here, but there's my opinion based upon what I see.... love it, hate it, don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                            I've learned a lot about You Tube from Roadkill. I've met people with NO interest in fast cars that watch it. They just saw it recommended. Also with popularity it depends on the marketplace. When I worked with Comic Books I told my boss an article in Rolling Stone would shake up the industry. He doubted me. I asked him how many people buy Comics. He said a few issues of X-Men broke one million. At that time RS was in it's prime. An average issue sold EIGHT million. So TEN has a hit with Roadkill. Well, maybe, a miss on You Tube is bigger than a hit in the specialty magazine market. Rolling Stone probably even has trouble cracking one million these days. Since Roadkill's success DOESN'T necessarily reflect it's roots in HRM or TEN it's Jackass On Wheels. You Tube is MILES ahead of ANY other video sharing site or PPV service. So if MTOD is the most successful PPV EVER they will still lose eyeballs from when they were on You Tube. Ad revenue won't save them if subscribership doesn't carry them. HRM is familiar with fads, gocarts, minibikes, custom vans, kit cars, dune buggies, need I go on? Hopefully they will continue to keep their eye on their bread and butter and even expand their audience. I liked them hiring the drift guy, well, the drift/hot rod guy. I wish them the best of luck, but.......

Can the folks that brought you Jackass On Wheels translate it into Netflix On Wheels? How long did Jackass last anyway?
                            I think YouTube made a wise move tossing the old guard off and making room for the new one.... these guys are an example
                            We like to build cars and do things that aren't the norm. Make sure you subscribe and stay in tune with some of the random automotive builds we may create. For extra behind the scenes content check us out on instagram: @streetbandito_ @industrygarage

YouTube was never meant to replace TV, or even streaming. That said, Hulu, Amazon or any other platform could do really well with Roadkill type shows. More polished then YouTube, but not as polished as cable TV..... that said MTOD is still a magazine company struggling for views - yeah, I know they sold, but they still do their programs like the Wanderers that I've been posting.... Set up, struggle, silly solution, repeat....

What is funny is the one that has survived the longest - what's now Powerblock - is such a basic concept but works because it doesn't have the magazine baggage.

Comment

There's two MAJOR elephants in the room. You Tube ad-supported, Netflix Subscriber. Then the Jackals, Hulu, Amazon, hundreds more. Pretty crowded room. TEN may be the mouse that can startle the elephants, but getting stomped is certain. I hope they keep the day job.

I can't hate Freiburger, after all he's a founder here. AND listen to ANYONE for a Drag Week at a time and they will irritate. AND Freiburger ENJOYS irritating. Trash Talking John Dianna about Sportsman class racing when he gave HRM some of it's best, most well balanced years. In a "Tech Tip" telling a watcher you can throw a double pumper on ANY combo and get awesome throttle response. Acting like building a wheelstander on a budget is rocket science, been done, been done STREET LEGAL. Here *I* am being negative, but I prefer Journalists more positive.

O.K. I liked when he recently swapped a set of stock heads on a CERTAIN crate motor builder's short block and made a better combo. Not totally negative. But a friend had a '70 Superbee. We called it "The World's Ugliest Mopar". Build one of THOSE???
                              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Working...
                              X