Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Thing About College Is...

It doesnt suck until it does..

Statistics....I had to take statistics this term. 8 weeks of pure hell. 2 hours a day and about 12 hours on the weekends dedicated to statistics....

I was never much good at the maths...in fact I was terrible at it...All the other classes I took have been great, no issues...but statistics....yeah, not for me...

So, I have a final tonight...anyone want to come down to Tucson and take it for me? Please? I'll buy the beer and pizza...
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

This might help - Statistics is lying with numbers - that's all confidence level means.... we know but we don't know but since we used numbers you will believe us.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I doubt philosophy will help Joe get the numbers right on his midterm.

I have a welding midterm today, but since it's welding, the numbers make sense.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Hated Statistics..........we called in Sadisitics
        I went to night school on the GI Bill in the early '70's
        The classes were mostly all vets and the teach gave us plenty of slack
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          I doubt philosophy will help Joe get the numbers right on his midterm.

I have a welding midterm today, but since it's welding, the numbers make sense.
          but it should increase his confidence level

Comment

A part of what I did for EPA involved statistics which I learned on the job - sort of learning by doing. I also suck at math but as the numbers were specifically applied to the correlation of other labs to our lab I understood both the math results and their significance. At first I bugged the engineers a lot but sooner or later I sort of understood what I was doing. The point - this would have been a hack of a lot easier if I'd started with the schoolwork but that wasn't in my cards.

So if I was in your position I wouldn't worry too much about the math (there are computer applications for that) but do try to understand the concepts. And yes, you can always lie with numbers......

Dan

Comment

LIES,DAMN LIES AND STATISTICS.

Nick

Comment

Don't blame it on not being good at math. If you ARE good at math you get BORED really FAST.
                My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

6 out of 5 people are bad at math
                  Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                    A part of what I did for EPA involved statistics which I learned on the job - sort of learning by doing. I also suck at math but as the numbers were specifically applied to the correlation of other labs to our lab I understood both the math results and their significance. At first I bugged the engineers a lot but sooner or later I sort of understood what I was doing. The point - this would have been a hack of a lot easier if I'd started with the schoolwork but that wasn't in my cards.

So if I was in your position I wouldn't worry too much about the math (there are computer applications for that) but do try to understand the concepts. And yes, you can always lie with numbers......

Dan
                    I was taught by an Air Force ROTC in 1998 who was waiting for his ticket to fly, and he was an excellent teacher. But with that said, and to your assertion, you need to understand that most statistics class are basically how to use the "statistics" key on your graphing calculator. There is a bit about how they came up with the tables, but the reality is it is more a computer class then a math class. And yes, he did get called up and last I heard (6 or so years ago) he was working towards astronaut and still complaining that the cable was out in the flight lounge.

Comment

Wanted to find out what a Stat button does on a calculator. Instead I find out everything is simple if you have an I-Phone.

‎Simple Stat is an application that can perform statistics tests which are commonly used in first year university statistics course. Simple Stat is very easy to use, and suits first year statistics students very well. The statistics tests that are included in Simple Stat are: - Z-test for mean - Z-t…
                      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Statistics can be manipulated to fit your beliefs or facts....

Comment

A puzzlement (this IS true - sorta):

Statistics prove that short people earn significantly less that tall people. Explain why.

Dan

Comment

Just finished and am eating a stress burger and fries reading thru the comments. Some funny shit here! I passed the class. Don’t think I’ll be on the deans list this term but I’m good with that. I passed that’s all I’m concerned with. That box is checked moving on...
                            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

how big is a 100% anyway..
                              what if that one hundred was a tenth of another 100, which is inside of somebody elses 1000.
                              Previously boxer3main
                              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                              X