Circle Track Magazine Demise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circle Track Magazine Demise

Circle Track has been discontinued! Even in the last issue there was no mention of its untimely death. No "thanks for all those years of support" or "we will miss you". No nuttin. Google is mute and Twitter ain't tweeting. Anybody know what happened?

Appears you can still get a feb 2018 digital copy but more than likely as mags tend to be a month ahead of time , you have a hard copy . I would say like all the other mags that are taking a dive to sleep with the fishes . Not enough revenue .
    Last edited by Dan Barlow; February 26, 2018, 01:25 PM.
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I thought Sprint Car & Midget went bye-bye, too.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I'm afraid print media is on the way out. I don't look forward to sitting on the john with a tablet to read my HRM but I fear that day is coming and soon. My guess is that there's a critical mass for a print mag (circulation of xxx,xxx/mo?) and if they don't hit that they're gone. I guess we have to get used to that idea (but I don't like it).

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Saltfever View Post
          Circle Track has been discontinued ... anybody know what happened?
          Declining sales is the obvious reason.

Comment

Would imagine cost to race declines the readership that would hit local dirt tracks too..

Almost 30 years I have been in demolition derby, I used to pay under $100 for. Running/driving car to build and compete in 2-4 events
            Now we are lucky to buy a $500 body to use and add our motor/trans/rear.. Then having to find radiators..

Csts of everything is ridiclous! Gas is near $3 a gallon..

Comment

I have the last issue March 18. Funny thing is that you can usually sniff when something is in the air. Hints in the editorial, long time advertisers missing, thinner pages, ongoing projects don't get completed or start slipping, etc. None of that happened. Bob Bolles had his usual stellar tech articles, engine builds continued, etc. The only notification was this notice attached to the April issue of Hot Rod Mag! . . . "The good news is that in Circle Track's place you will receive . . . (HOT ROD Magazine) for the total remaining copies on your subscription! I sure hope HRM adds Bob Bolles to their staff or carry on the spirit of his work.

Comment

Watching the decline of print media......well, the decline put me out of work but I was ready to retire anyway. I "made it" to the very end, almost. Close enough.
                Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

The magazine staff probably did'nt know until the last day.
                  Last edited by malc; February 27, 2018, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
                    The magazine staff probably did'nt know until the last day.
                    That would be typical. The sheep don't know what the Master is doing. I believe that's true in any workplace. Every one I've been in anyhow. Well, WAS in. And I don't miss a bit of it.

Comment

Also with the demise of Roadkill magazine and website Elana Scherr has "gone" freelance.

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
                        Also with the demise of Roadkill magazine and website Elana Scherr has "gone" freelance.
                        Elena is something special. She's got "it." She's good, damn good.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

That would be typical. The sheep don't know what the Master is doing. I believe that's true in any workplace. Every one I've been in anyhow. Well, WAS in. And I don't miss a bit of it.
                          Print mag's have been on life support for a decade.+
                          The "sheep" as you call them, have known this. The day the plug is pulled should not be a shock to anyone working in that field.
                          They all knew the shoe was going to drop, they just didn't know when..
                          If many bit the bullet 5 years ago and went digital only, they still be in operation, As it cost tons less To do it in digital , than print that you have to print, ship, mail, count unsold/return/etc.
                          The mistake they and many others made was pleasing the guys that "want" the print mag. Forcing them to not only eat the print mag cost, but the digital cost also.
                          They should've said sorry we are going all digital, no more print.. You can bark at that all you want but everybody is on forums and other motorsports digital media.
                          The I want a paper mag for the john.. is what flushed them and many other titles down the s-------er.
                          YMMV
                          Last edited by ericfallon; February 28, 2018, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ericfallon View Post

You can bark at that all you want but everybody is on forums and other motorsports digital media.
                            Okay, Sir Eric.

I don't need to tell you my own story in drawn out detail since you haven't been here long enough to know it. And you probably wouldn't be interested in it anyhow.

I am probably going to confuse and and amaze and maybe anger some of my friends right here on this very site, and I'm in no way in charge of this site, and I in no way represent the beliefs of this site, but I'm telling you for myself, you solely can just shut up and go to hell as I'm concerned. Your results may vary.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Okay, Sir Eric.

I don't need to tell you my own story in drawn out detail since you haven't been here long enough to know it. And you probably wouldn't be interested in it anyhow.

I am probably going to confuse and and amaze and maybe anger some of my friends right here on this very site, and I'm in no way in charge of this site, and I in no way represent the beliefs of this site, but I'm telling you for myself, you solely can just shut up and go to hell as I'm concerned. Your results may vary.
                              Why, you upset.
                              It isn't my doing that print media is on it's death bed and the paper industry in general?
                              I didn't have anything to do with any of it. technology did.
                              Yet you'll post that above on the technology that was and IS the cause of the print media death. And not see how ironic your post is.
                              I just posted what my opinion of it was. and you get mad. I just reporting what I've seen. I'm not the cause. You might want to place your anger at the CAUSE..
                              I doubt you will as that require punting your computer/tablet or whatever you are posting from in the deep 6 pile.
                              I have 300 ish vehicle and motorsports mag's here, I like the fact that I can look back on what was happening years ago, but I also saw the writing on the wall.
                              The cost to keep niche titles in print is to high. And motorsport/vehicle print mag's are just that niche .

You made it to the end, was pushed out early It seams but not that early.
                              I feel for those that still had decades to go before they get to retire that need to learn a new career . But I don't feel guilty. as I am not the cause.
                              Again I think you need to take a long hard look at where you are placing your anger, and place it on the true cause .
                              Hint It isn't the automotive enthusiast.
                              Last edited by ericfallon; February 28, 2018, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X