No announcement yet.

How Fast is Fast ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Over time, in the long run, in history, lots of fun has been made in the media about how race car drivers are not athletes. Drag racing, even land speed racing, I can see that standpoint.

But on a road course or wherever you're in the car for more than a few minutes doing all you can do.... I don't know what to compare it to. 2 miles on on a race track is like....maybe 200 miles on the highway? At the end of the day you can't even see, you're so worn out. From the thrill and from the concentration.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Daytona is the only place I ever took advantage of all the runs on the schedule. It's all right there, on a piece of paper, which time your run group goes.

At Daytona, there were two things at play. First, we went such a long way to get there, so I guess I wanted my money's worth. I didn't hesitate, the last run of the day, the sun is going down, hell yeah let's run again.

But second, and overbearing, that track is not hard to drive. I was not worn out at the end of the day.

Comment

My "condition" was ongoing for a looong time.. Very long time.
        Pain pills so strong I slept all the time waking when a cramp was killing me
        Muscle relaxers so strong I was piddling myself
        Quinine
        Salt tablets
        Lots water
        No water
        One year of being poked prodded and jabbed. Every damn fluid was examined.
        I was so sick of it
        Then thinking that cancer does not like alkaline conditions.. One segment believes in making cancer not want to live there by no sugar in your system..
        2-3 bottles later my cramps were not crippling. Trader Joe's is 40 miles away 2 different directions. The cramp came back
        Now I buy 1-2 cases a month.
        I'm not stopping in the middle of stuff ready to fall down pissing myself As long as I drink some I am ok.. Cut wood, build cars, all physical stuff, I have to drink or I get punished.
        I never really drank coffee. Did drink Dew, found my feet swell with Pepsi products and not coke. I drink FULL THROTTLE (not as sweet) which is Coke
        Yeah, another thing I took to stop cramps, my sweet wife just reminded me is WATER PILLS! Those made it WORSE!

All I'm saying is considering your age, your former activity (bike riding probably depleted your muscular system more than you imagine) you drink coffee..
        It will not hurt to try a couple bottles. They are in 2 sizes. 1.5 qt and 1 qt. Get a couple, drink one the day before. Then one in a insulated cup the day of.. Then tell me I am full of shit.. That will be fine. I'm used to it.
        My kids would get cramps after working out. Gave them some.. They weren't sure. Later they didn't have any..cramps.. Gave them that water before and during their last derby, they sweat alot in those cars, they thought they had an easy derby till they watched film.

The change will be stutle. Un noticeable in most.. But in me it is day and night. Pam thought the cramps were fake until 2 things., she felt one come up and go away.. And the kids telling her the sounds I make cannot be faked.

Another thing old Pdub can do. Yes. Dig at OLD! is to squeeze a soft ball to exersise your grip.. As you are not normally squeezing a steering wheel tight except on the track. Not saying do 1000 hard squeezes but enough to get some strength as not to get cramps and enjoy your driving experence

I know my last 3-4 years driving, I did not hurt so much with simple head pressure sessions for strengthing my neck to wear a helmet and take the bangings. Push on forehead for 5 sec, go around the compass.. Do it 3-4 times a day.
        Earlier in my career (snicker) I was riding road bikes and dirt bikes it didnt matter, later it helped

Old people need to physically get ready. Do not play pool with your helmet on, tho...

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

Old people need to physically get ready. Do not play pool with your helmet on, tho...
          You just HAD to bring that up again, didn't you?

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
            Over time, in the long run, in history, lots of fun has been made in the media about how race car drivers are not athletes. Drag racing, even land speed racing, I can see that standpoint.

But on a road course or wherever you're in the car for more than a few minutes doing all you can do.... I don't know what to compare it to. 2 miles on on a race track is like....maybe 200 miles on the highway? At the end of the day you can't even see, you're so worn out. From the thrill and from the concentration.
            I used to hit twisty roads, low on the bike, 2-3X posted on the curve sign. Sometimes getting off, I'd be wobbly.. Tired. Good tired.. But never when drinking! Perspection is addled badly.

Comment

For me - the most demoralizing thing is when my girlfriend says "that was fast"!

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                For me - the most demoralizing thing is when my girlfriend says "that was fast"!
                no dear, come to my bedroom and I'll show you fast ... sorry, had to be said.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

But if you want to run on the track.... I know I've posted this already, I'll bore you guys all over again, this is a lap around the track itself, just about as slow as you can go. But we're going to do this again.
                  Are you using a go-pro to shoot the video, or a dash cam?
                  If dash cam is it 2 channel one out the front and one rear view.?
                  It seem that be neat to watch.
                  To see the closing speed of those behind you in a turn and the pulling away in a straight.

Comment

Originally posted by ericfallon View Post

Are you using a go-pro to shoot the video, or a dash cam?
                    If dash cam is it 2 channel one out the front and one rear view.?
                    It seem that be neat to watch.
                    To see the closing speed of those behind you in a turn and the pulling away in a straight.
                    I think I remember making that video using a Sony Bloggie rubber-banded to a GPS dash suction cup mount.

I've got a single channel GoPro. It doesn't like the bar mount between and behind the seats. It makes a great video of is going along but the show is all but invisible past the windshield. I can mount it upside won on the windshield with a suction mount and it does better. But I think I made the above video using the Bloggie because it doesn't seem to have as much of the fish-eye effect going on.

Comment

Dan - 60 on a ten speed? I want to hear about that, let's have it. Were you being towed behind a hotrod?

I thought I would see 60 on a 10 speed on the other side of the Rockies in Colorado. After 2000 miles pedaling, but the road was so torn up....washing-machine-sized potholes. Nope, on the brakes the whole time to stay alive.
                      At work we have a drive on the back side of the factory that is almost perfectly flat, I hit 30 mph on the back drive when I 30s . If you can't hit 60 going down hill in the rockys , your either not stupid enough or your legs are to short . Now as far as me actually measuring a speed of 60 like the 30 I did on the back drive of work I'm not sure I have but if so I was on a steep hill probably on fall creek parkway heading south .

Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I found the top speed of my mountain bike going down a hill near my parents house. High gear pedaling as fast as I could and it was still coasting. No clue how fast I was going. Going down was fun, going back up the hill not as much.
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Daffy will call me out on this again, but I didn't know or realize how fast "fast" is until Stude took a video of Red going by in Arkansas. That did it for me......it all looks the same from inside the car. It's comfortable, just begging and wishing the car will go faster. But the view from the ground, the spectators' standpoint is not the same.

Imagine how fast those tires are spinning, how hard the engine is working. Anything can go wrong. And if it does, you're going for a totally different ride, and not a good one. It's a risk we all choose to take when we're into it. But it sure looks different going by than it does from inside the car.

Comment

• JamesMayberryIII
                            JamesMayberryIII commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Nope, can't be bothered with another thread of the same thing,
                            Clearly. you are grand poobah. and will be allowed to kill this place.
                            I'll go back to lurking. and maybe those that p.m.'d me. will offer up links to automotive based forums that welcome those with love for the automobile. and not just a love of thy stroked of ego.

Last time you started a repost of this, a guy with a hellcat offered you to drive his car.

Then there was the brake one, the 9 ball one, then the cabin fevor(speeled wrong for effect) one. both you seemed to fit in your awesome track days.
                            They are cool and all, but once seen as nothing but ego stroking. not so much. when you call out others on what they have done. to shut them up. not so much.
                            Little Caer comes to mind.

Ten million stories in the city
                            Ten million backs against the wall
                            Desperation's out tonight
                            You can cut it with a knife
                            Everybody wants to have it all
                            Well they tell you that the world is rough
                            But they never rocked it hard enough
                            Hey, little Caesar
                            Nobody messing with you
                            Hey, little Caesar
                            Go show 'em what you can do
                            Nobody said that it was pretty, no no
                            You haven't got a penny or a prayer
                            You know it's gonna be a fight
                            If you want to see your name in lights
                            Ain't nobody gives a damn out there
                            Well you got your guts and you got your pride
                            You'll never let them see inside
                            Hey, little Caesar
                            Nobody messing with you
                            Hey, little Caesar
                            Let them show 'em what you can do
                            Well you don't believe in the books and rules…

Well you don't believe in the books and rules
                            Cause you just believe what you know is cool
                            Well they try to tell you that the world is rough
                            But they never rocked it hard enough
                            I can't hear you, oh yeah!
                            Well, they just don't understand
                            You gotta fight to be a man
                            Hey, little Caesar
                            Nobody messing with you
                            Hey, little Caesar
                            Hey, little Caesar
                            Oh yeah, that's what it is
                            Hey, little Caesar
                            Yeah, come on, oh yeah
                            Hey, little Caesar
                            Now show 'em, yeah

Last edited by JamesMayberryIII; February 11, 2019, 07:25 AM.

Repeat thread with the same title, from a year ago ... merged.

Comment

I'll hunt you down like a lost dog, and I'll be able to catch you too, because Red is fast. Even if he's NOT a Chevrolet.

Just sayin.
                            Or a Dodge

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Kitty View Post

Or a Dodge
                              or a kid with suspenders on a tricycle
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X