How Fast is Fast ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Fast is Fast ?

Sue Unit and I got into an interesting discussion this evening. She's been "fast" riding in Red on road courses. But, no, she hasn't. And, no, I haven't.

Bluebelle went 131 MPH in Ohio, Red went 144 through the trioval at Daytona. I'm saying that's "fast."

But the folks who go 200 or 3 or 4 hundred.....that's beyond my level of comprehension. All I'm trying to say is, most anything above 100, for most of us who just tool around on the face of the earth....anything above 100 is FAST. Certainly it comes in increments, but I think that in increments it only actually means how much quicker you'll get deader if anything goes wrong.

Above 100, stuff is going by a whole lot quicker than what you're used to in daily life. And that's a drug a whole lot of us are after - speed. I don't quite understand it, but I know I want it.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Trust me dubster you've been fast..... when you think of the consequences of the smallest issue at the speeds we've gone, we've been fast... at 16 I took a Honda 750F to 135 plus... left off too fast, and the spoked rear wheel went gyroscopic on me.... drum brakes fading to failure... a real osh__ moment... Taking curves too fast, had the ZR2 pickup go sideways in 3 lanes of one way traffic {literally 60 plus degrees from intended travel) within a couple of car lengths due to someone pulling out right in front of me on slush and ice... Full four wheel drive powerslide and recovered without wrecking anyone... too fast and really lucky to have the skills needed at that particular moment.... makes one take pause... I've heard of your close calls at times as well....yessir.... we been fast.... better thank the good Lord for our blessings.....
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
      better thank the good Lord for our blessings.....
      I DO believe that most folks who try it in not-controlled conditions, not on a race track, those folks are at the greatest risk to pay the greatest price for it. And they do.

Comment

When you let off the gas and you grin, you just went fast no matter what the speed.
        Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
        If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

I'm thinking about it in retrospect, I could get Red up to 135 down the back straight at Daytona before it was time to slow down for the Bus Stop.

135 miles per hour. That would make lots of folks just jump out of the car. But after the Bus Stop, running through the gears in Turns 3 & 4, that was scary. 125 through there. Just like at Road Atlanta going down into 10A.......just LIKE it......the car will do more but the driver won't allow it. The right foot just won't do it. Scared. That's fast, but that's fast ENOUGH.

I kept going back to Road Atlanta. Over and over. To go faster down that back straight. Trying to beat that fear-demon. The result was always the same. Same, same same. Same.

Comment

I was off normal concept of time and space for quite awhile, watching terrain as kc135s i flew on came in for a landing..
            or the atlantic down below at 550 mph from a boom window.

what you think are little waves are most likely 20 foot swells.

I still think 130 is a normal. Especially today.
            my truck does 130 with no limiter.
            I would not want less than 5k pounds.

anyone notice how many theories climb in when your vehicle is 3000 pounds with a v8.
            aero theory this, brake theory that, structure theory this,
            blah blah blah.

meanwhile there is 5k of truck bricked in the wind at 120mph factory...
            ..the break away from euro standards of ancient midget royalty.

I don't need to go fast.
            I like my wipers staying down on the windshield anyway.

I like the safe approach, pdub you are a good influence.
            I am safe too.. not a fast driver.
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 21, 2018, 08:13 PM.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
              When you let off the gas and you grin, you just went fast no matter what the speed.
              Hey Perry, have you given any more thought to running Barber March 10-11? That's in your neighborhood. And we'll be there.

Comment

I think speed is relative to the conditions we choose to experience it . 30 on a ten speed is fast ,60 is REALLY FAST . So far 115 in the vette isn't fast .
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                  I think speed is relative to the conditions we choose to experience it . 30 on a ten speed is fast ,60 is REALLY FAST . So far 115 in the vette isn't fast .
                  Dan - 60 on a ten speed? I want to hear about that, let's have it. Were you being towed behind a hotrod?

I thought I would see 60 on a 10 speed on the other side of the Rockies in Colorado. After 2000 miles pedaling, but the road was so torn up....washing-machine-sized potholes. Nope, on the brakes the whole time to stay alive.

Comment

Fast is relative..
                    You say over 100 is fast..I say 85 in a 40 mph corner is fast.. (cop was zipping up his pants running to the car when I squealed by)
                    35 min trip cut to 12 min.. Is that fast?
                    Stupid..likely.

Comment

Simple rule. If it requires a 10 point cage to run that fast in a sanctioned event, its fast.

Comment

I with Dan and DB. Depends on what you in and what you are doing with it. Fast in a foxbody mustang starts about 120.
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                          I with Dan and DB. Depends on what you in and what you are doing with it. Fast in a foxbody mustang starts about 120.
                          When we first got Red, I took him out on the interstate. I had to, you know I had to. The guy who sold him to us had done some things to the car to "stage" it for sale. New tires, new battery (though that was not even the right battery). Red was apparently in plug-and play condition.

Got him up to 120 on the interstate. It felt like driving a boat, floating and aiming, not really driving or in control. Not all that pleasant actually.

Then came the Ohio Mile, I was looking at the tires I needed to pass inspection. I finally looked at the tires on Red. They were rated at 119 mph. I nearly killed us going 120 in that car, that was the "floating" sensation. The right tires at speed, it was like a slot car, just sitting there happy going however fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                            130+ in the 1/4 mile in a foxbody doesn't *seem* too fast.

130+ in the shutdown area with the factory brakes DOES seem fast.

Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post

130+ in the 1/4 mile in a foxbody doesn't *seem* too fast.

130+ in the shutdown area with the factory brakes DOES seem fast.

Perspective? Allowed to accelerate, Now stop.. Difference..

If I HAD TO stop, I likely would not be here.

Comment

Working...
                              X