When to Do What You Should Do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to Do What You Should Do

We've been on a road trip. We put lots of miles on Red. Highway miles, loving it. It started Tuesday night with a phone call. I called a great friend of mine in SC. I asked him - are you going to be home? It turned out, he would be. But only Thursday night, when we could be there. It went on from there, calling folks, can we come by while we're in town?

In two days, we made 5 "visits." My brother, some old friends on the lake we haven't seen in 10 years, 3 more folks I used to work with. 5 visits, two big dinners. All on a whim. It was a miracle, all of it. 3 of those visits, the folks were not going to be available the next day.

So, go see the folks you haven't seen in a while, maybe some years. Why wait to do it? We may run out of time.

EDIT: Oh, and I did a Red burnout in my old friend's driveway. That'll be there for a while. They are not even car folks. They are airplane/scuba diving folks. Those black marks will be there for a while. Just sayin.
    Last edited by pdub; February 16, 2018, 08:55 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Good for Both Of You Guys! Enjoy It! You Deserve It!!!
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Great plan! We mostly travel to see the Grands (oh, and the adults they live with) but we DO try to work in visits to old friends as we go.

Dan

Comment

My brother.....we were sitting there on the deck behind his house for about 20 minutes......

He's older than me, smarter than me, more successful than me in the long run. He came first out of the womb and he seemed to have gotten it all. Just a natural to start with. Maybe I should be envious but I'm not. I'm in awe, actually. He's got so much class, understated.

He retired but he wasn't through. He started his own business. Now he's a "consultant." He spoke about what he's now doing, spoke about it with a passion. He said, "When you love what you are doing...."

That made me look up at the sky in Carolina and think for a moment. I could only say in response, I never "loved" what I was doing for a living. I did not. I did it for a living. If I had loved it I would have been a whole lot better at it because I would have put a whole lot more into it.

Just sayin.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Not many get paid for doing what they love, the rest of us carve out a place in life to try and be successful. I'd say you made it my friend.
          Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
          If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Should have pursued higher education for my body's sake..
            But I would not have met some truely great guys..
            Nevermind they are society's rejects.. They treated me way better than I deserved..
            I love derbys. Stressful as hell! A simple lucky hit can ruin a night.. Sucessful? Yes! Made $$? Yes! Spent more than we made...

Do what I love costs money.. That I really do not have.
            Made enough hauling scrap to pay for alot of it, again. Toll on body. 45 appliances a load is hard work! I enjoyed being my own boss..most of the time..

Comment

Working...
            X