No announcement yet.

I have a question for you guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Without this being any type commentary on anyone else's stuff, most of which I haven't seen as I don't watch much, I'd say if you're serious in what you propose to do I would encourage you to take some-type classes or training in video production to get to where you understand what you're doing first. Think about this: look at your writing which in addition to clear thought has good spelling and punctuation (things that were invented for a reason) along with paragraphs that are broken up properly, etc. etc. Do you understand how well that care helps get your point across and information transferred? You're so used to it you probably don't even think about it. With what you have to offer in terms of tech help, wouldn't you want your videos to be the same way? Going out there into video land without learning some skills (and grasping the need) is like living in the U.S. without knowing English; you can get by without it fine but you'll always miss many of the people you could have reached otherwise and there will always be those who think that if you didn't take the effort to learn to communicate properly, why should they think what you say within has any value?

This said by a guy who took just enough classes back when to not get any good at it but at-least have his eyes opened, my wife in her line of work has taken many more and is around people who will lose their job if they lose people's attention. Dad was an amateur film maker for most of his years from back in the day when 8mm was edited with a knife and glue, you could always tell by the faces in his audience whether he was taking them along on whatever adventure he was bringing or they thought he was just wasting their time with a dumb or careless film. Some people will always be out there in that audience and will always enjoy what you do but if you really have something to say, take some time to learn to package it so it most-effectively reaches people before you go giving up your best technical stuff for free.
    Last edited by Loren; January 19, 2018, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Thats part of the thing bothering me Loren. Will it be interesting and informative, or mind numbing and puts you to sleep?

As for writing, I have that down relatively well thanks to the USAF bestowing upon me an immense vocabulary of $4 words in an effort to craft performance reports for my airmen which in essence is 20 tweets about what he did, where, and the effect it had that conveys the magnitude of awesome or lameness of that action, with exactly 139 or 140 characters using zero punctuation. Then doing that 15 times a year in addition to working 12+ hour days 6 days a week. The fun part is you have to know what your guys are doing, because none of them write it down. If you use it for one airman, you can't use it for another, they all have to be unique. You learn to do it fast and efficiently or you never get any sleep or time to yourself. Used to be my writing was in the form of briefings, but since I have found a way to make it slightly more interesting. Fun stuff. I rarely write that way here though, you guys have a mild sense of humor compared to mine so I strive to not offend. I try to make my technical replies informative yet not entirely boring, and provided the fingers actually work the way I direct them, grammar and spelling are not an issue.

I'm not very interested in monetizing this, mainly because I have money coming in from the VA and if I get another source of income, as in any income, that funding gets cut roughly in half. Its not like its a large sum to start out, but going to half means I am homeless and the car thing is then impossible. So I am not going to risk it nor mess with it, just not worth it for the minor amount of money I would get. I have a bunch of information stashed in my head, do fun things with my cars all year, and I have no problem sharing if someone wants to watch or read about it.

This arose from a series of replies I wrote, talking about cars I built, how they ran, what it cost, the parts I used, and how completely ordinary all the parts used are. I like to do fun things like seeing how fast I can go for limited cash, how cheap I can throw together a reliable vehicle, and getting the most out of caveman tech mixed with high tech placed in the right spot. Its not like a history book, but an ongoing process that starts with some idea that originates from "I want to do *___* and can't afford to do it the typical way" and then figuring out how to do it. Almost everything I do is low buck, because I can't throw money at it. Some things you have no choice but to spend the cash to make it live, things wear out, but I don't need to buy $4000 heads to make 500hp, unless I want 500 at 3500rpm and lots more on top. I've been doing it for so long now that I have learned to really enjoy doing the impossible with almost nothing.

Since lots of people are afraid to dig in because they might screw it up or have no clue what is in the magic box, having someone show them whats inside might give them the confidence to try it. Most of us can't throw money at cars, we have limited funds, so that $80k restoration is not in our future. For me $8k is a LOT of money and it takes me years to put that much into a car. I don't even have $80k invested in my land, shop, and house. I'm well south of that yet some people are driving cars that cost that much, I will never be one of them. My ideas will work for anyone, you can be poor like me or that guy with the Demon or Hellcat, but its pretty much mandatory for us poor guys to do it my way. Scrounging parts and doing as much as possible ourselves. If you know how and can do it, then you aren't paying labor to someone else who knows how. If you are hell bent on having a cool car or something fast, my way will get you into it before you turn 70 and retire.

Wasn't it Chip Foose who said something like kids today want to buy something rather than build it? Doesn't Mike Rowe talk about tech jobs that include manual labor and can make you a decent living and not require a university degree? I want people to know how to do things, it will not only enrich their lives, but allow them to put the limited money they have into other things to improve their quality of life. My mechanic never rips me off, but the man can't estimate worth a damn.

Comment

I was hurled into video audience gains.. still have no clue how. Maine and maintaining is unique, and trucking. I only got a few emails telling me what was happening, and I asked to be backed out, as I was on SSDI, did not want to exceed their rules. I am a disabled veteran.
        The big thing for going ahead and gaining audience is that you can...and it does not leave easily.

There is other V.A. incomes that promote doing the best you can.. you must be on the "pension" program and not "compensation."
        maybe try to get switched over into the right one... then launch videos.

Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

USAF was saving money back in 05, they put me out on a medical with 10%. The VA on the other hand decided all the stuff the AF did to me was worth a bit more. Means I can't get a pension and I can't have any income. I can however put videos up and not have ads, because that is where the revenue comes from. Nobody wants to deal with the stupid ads anyway.

Comment

I watch more youtube than tv. The ones I like the most are where they show you how to do something. Or they change something then test on the dyno or track. Get a day to a weeks worth of work down to 10-30 mins do some burn outs people will watch.

video the process of setting up your fuel making I bet that would get vews.
            ​​​
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

I'm not sure I think it would be a good fit for you.

The idea of doing Pontiac videos is awesome, but the internet breeds idiots and trolls; if you want to succeed, you need to be both ready for them and capable of not letting them ruin what you do for fun. I can example, I blogged, for a bit, my build on my FJ40 on Pirate. I win awards with that rig, but after their crap during the build I almost said screw it.... way too often good content providers get derailed by trolls - consider, it's just one person but now you're complaining to the thousands of people who want to watch your content and for the most part they think "so what?" then they go somewhere else... which leads me to.
              the other issue, you must have 4000 hours of views per year to even begin to get monetized on it - that means lots of videos, clever click-baiting titles, and of course not responding to people you'd rather bury then provide entertainment for. Most of the content people spend 4-6 hours filming and 2 hours for every hour of video editing. That's 18 hours into a 20 minute video that will attract the trolls.

There are a few work-arounds such as limiting responses to your videos, but remember, every click counts so if you can get two or three trolls arguing with themselves you win the battle because their nonsense does equal view time and click....

and for the record, it's why I've refrained from doing videos....
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

SBG, if I ever want to remind myself that I am not a complete idiot (ya know I often have doubts about it) I will go read YouTube comments. I really do not give a damn what someone says, I have my opinions which are not exactly mainstream (chevy is cheap crap, ethanol is awesome) and if I decide to 'defend" my position I can, and usually the other guy ends up looking stupid, incoherent, ignorant, or they retreat to ad hom. The big thing is, I really don't care if you don't like it, or if you think that rattling wheels on with an impact with three ugga duggas is a good idea, you don't have to do things the right/correct way and you sure as hell don't need to like the same things I do.

The idea is not for my own validation, I do that for myself every time the car I built starts goes down the road for thousands of miles without a problem, and returns me home. Frankly other people telling me I have a nice car makes me feel strange, because to me its just a bunch of steel I put back together and I do that all the time. I was asked to do this, because of my replies to tech questions, comments about the myth that chevy is the most power for the least money, and my varied fuel experience. I have found more and more people running high compression engines and switching to E85 on the street, its kinda cool.

I wanted to ask you guys if I really know what the hell I am talking about and if it would make a difference to guys out there. There will always be someone like whats his name who feels the need to be contrarian to everything, but should I put in the effort to make some videos and write things up so people can find and reference it easily? I have to remind myself that most people don't do what I do, its my nature to assume everyone knows as much or more than I do, and can do all the things I do. Its painfully obvious that my body work skills need lots of improvement when you see my car in person, but I can take pics from angles that sorta hide the things I messed up. Lots of guys run faster, build more powerful engines, and have done things I haven't been able to yet (turbos for instance) so that is my paradigm, I am striving to be like them and I forget that many people are just starting or simply haven't had the opportunity to do something yet. So when they asked me to make videos, it brought up all the self doubt I have about do I really know what the hell I am doing?

You guys have a wide range of experience, and the trolling here is limited, so I value what you all say, even if I don't follow your advice.

Comment

Consider the newbie. When folks start to try to learn to fix their cars, in the old days you just had to wing it nwith maybe a book or magazine article here or there. Then for a while it was internet forums with build threads and knowledgeable people answering questions. These days it seems the first resource is to attend Youtube University. Any body getting into Pontiacs or ethanol is probably going to check Youtube first for build information and for the specifics of it. Sure there'll be troll commenters, the Youtube comments tend to be a swamp. So what? Worthwhile info out there is to the better.

Comment

Do it on You tube.

Call the Channel "The Poncho Honcho"
                    "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

Originally posted by Whelk View Post
                      Consider the newbie. When folks start to try to learn to fix their cars, in the old days you just had to wing it nwith maybe a book or magazine article here or there. Then for a while it was internet forums with build threads and knowledgeable people answering questions. These days it seems the first resource is to attend Youtube University. Any body getting into Pontiacs or ethanol is probably going to check Youtube first for build information and for the specifics of it. Sure there'll be troll commenters, the Youtube comments tend to be a swamp. So what? Worthwhile info out there is to the better.
                      youtube is my first choice and i am definitely a noob. i have youtubed everything ive done for my lemans so far and sometimes the results are very unsatisfactory (that is how i ended up on BS forums specifically to bother you thump). I think you have the right attitude in the sense that you dont care what people think.

For example, I do know a little something about history and i have seen people bash FDR. the president that got us through the great depression and WW2 while he was suffering from polio. the guy couldnt walk but he managed to lead the nation through the most difficult and fearsome time that the nation has experienced. there are people that think this guy is an idiot so there will always be haters.

you dont have to gear up for mass production right away. start off small and work out the bugs and then get bigger and bigger. make a page on here or a website or even a "cast indian cookbook" If you need ideas for stuff to write or shoot theres all kinds of stuff that i dont know how to do and i know there is a bunch of idiots like me who are too scared to tackle something that they dont understand for fear of running out of steam or encountering a roadblock halfway through a project.
                      You have the "different" approach of building a reliable car with a modest budget and producing some respectable power. These engines are more than capable of keeping up with todays sports cars and one can spend less than 5000 dollars building an engine that will spank a $50,000 challenger mustang or camaro in a straight line

Your choice obviously. No doubt you will spend a lot of time producing videos which will suck. Writing with pictures would be easier to start with but if you should decide not too ill still PM you and bug you for information either way
                      Last edited by pontiacpower; January 20, 2018, 04:32 PM.

Comment

I'm thinking "Sweaty Fat Guy" is a good name since that describes me, its kinda funny, and I used that name online killing people. (I was infamous and loathed) Have a couple things I could do, one is getting the pin out that holds the cross pin in a 10 bolt differential. I have a very easy method that works well, and it comes up because some guys were saying to use a chisel or torch.. yeah... not so much. I have the Blazer up in the lift, you should see the pinion gear in it. You will be amazed when you see a pic of it. Sounds like a good project, even if the pin isn't broken though it very well could be with the abuse that poor thing has endured. So order the gears, pick up some bearings, and do a rear end video. Could be fun.

No worries, everything I do will be simple, to the point, and maybe done in a voice other than my own. Imagine Morgan freeman narrating how to extricate a brake line flare nut from a rusted line. Or Arnold telling you how to do a rear end swap...

Comment

you might be on to something there. i havent seen anyone do that yet. I would love to see a video of how to make something of a BOP 10 bolt peg leg.
                          i had a bunch of questions when trying to pick a powerplant for my lemans and had i not found you on the gto forum and BS i would have went with a tuned 5.3ls with a built 4l60e and ran into an electrical nightmare. (im a millennial though so im not as scared of plugging things in haha) but nonetheless it would have been a pain in the @$$.
                          then i had to figure out what to do with the 400 that you talked me into building. now im at the point where i just need recommendations for parts in the build. Once i get this engine done ill need to figure out what transmission to use and what to do about making two wheels spin.
                          i like to see what people have done in the past and chevy is the only route to go if you want to mimic a build and get into the hobby. most of the guys that do pontiacs have a boatload of money that theyre spending to build an aluminum headed stroker for the gto they drove since they bought it new in the 60s or 70s. Its hard to follow a build when the only thing you see is aluminum heads, fuel injection and the most expensive tech that is out of reach for low men on the totem pole. you know how to beat these guys with stock parts and beating these rich boys with 1/4 of the cash would be cool. Im sick of the 70 challenger with a crate 440 blowing by my poor mans muscle car because he is an engineer and i pick up boxes for a living

Comment

I cheated, I got an engineering degree. But I'm still cheap and lazy....

Sounds like it could be fun to do this. It also sounds like you have a pretty good idea of how the whole thing works....

I don't watch many "how to" videos on youtube because most of them are horrible. Or maybe it's because I already know how to do most things. I do occasionally run into stuff I don't know how to do, and I usually search for forum discussions on the subject first. Then I might do a quick survey of videos, and sometimes I find the "meat" and get the info I need. but it usually wastes quite a bit of time finding it.

If E85 was around everywhere, it would be a nice fuel. But we seem to have sporadic distribution, for whatever reason. Building engines cheap to make decent power, that's a universal subject area. I expect you could be clever with your video titles, and get decent hits on those that cover general (not pontiac specific) content, even if the example you are working on is a Poncho. The cross pin idea is an excellent example.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Whatever happened to the idea of posting Pontiac videos? Thump start a YouTube. Your guaranteed 1 subscriber. Show us how to do budget builds that tear up the street, and show us how to save some of these old cars from the rust. Also, A 350p build needs to get done. There’s not many on the youth tube. I think Pontiac needs to make a 383 debut on there. I have a block to donate to the build as well. A solid 70 with the chamfered bores for big valve heads. I think it would be cool.

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacpower View Post
                                Whatever happened to the idea of posting Pontiac videos? Thump start a YouTube. Your guaranteed 1 subscriber. Show us how to do budget builds that tear up the street, and show us how to save some of these old cars from the rust. Also, A 350p build needs to get done. There’s not many on the youth tube. I think Pontiac needs to make a 383 debut on there. I have a block to donate to the build as well. A solid 70 with the chamfered bores for big valve heads. I think it would be cool.
                                Already did.. been busy recording stuff, editing takes a while, and I would rather spend the day wrenching than playing with video clips.. so I only do it at night. One for the 65 GTO build is in the works, I am making title frames for Deaf Bob, and doing some of my 'voices' in it. Lots of work getting stuff running this year, including an LS swap in my C10. Fighting transmissions and stuff in the 65, got the street strip toy running with a new fuel system, and have the 68 running VERY good... but nowhere to go play with them, the traffic is still to damn thick here with tourists.

Trying to get some of the guys to get together with me and play on a dead end stretch of blacktop, but getting these people to come do anything is like rocket surgery with watermelon hands and dynamite.

​My cars don't hug the roads, they touch the roads inappropriately Driving slow cars fast is definitely more fun than driving fast cars slow. Driving something with too much power is more fun than either of those. Life is too short to dive boring sh!t. Pontiac videos and some anti communist commentary, but not at the same time.

Comment

Working...
                                X