No announcement yet.

Pdub's Folding Workbench Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got walls on 2 sides of our work area, one of those heaters keeps the damp and chill off!
    Bad part is a stiff wind can blow them out..
    I got a single too, it is too hot for the travel trailer!

Comment

On the wall but legless at this point shown.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010093.JPG Views:	1 Size:	46.0 KB ID:	1186743

Our garage is so un-level I noticed 1/4 inch difference from level across the distance of 48 inches. I knew I would have to custom-length each leg. measuring and figuring on each corner compared to level....well, I missed it by 3/4 inch on one leg. I'd just make another leg but I burned up the 50-year-old inherited sabre saw making the last leg and I don't want to go out in the cold to get another one. So I'm adding 3/4 inch to that one leg. 3/4 plywood foot on the bottom of that leg.
      Last edited by pdub; January 15, 2018, 02:02 PM.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

That'll work! Good Job!
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

There. I only bled twice, and I can easily swear under oath that this thing, when deployed, is by far the only level thing about our house. It's hung all crooked on the wall with different length legs, but it's level with the horizon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010094.JPG Views:	1 Size:	43.5 KB ID:	1186748

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010095.JPG Views:	1 Size:	42.9 KB ID:	1186749

I'd like to thank Patrick for the inspiration and Dan Stokes for the heat and and all of our sponsors including Weeville Garage, DeWalt, Irwin, Milwaukee, etc.
          Last edited by pdub; January 15, 2018, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Looks excellent! BTW - garage floors are not meant to be level - it should slope toward the door so anything wet can escape. Be sure to apply some sort of finish to the workbench (polyurethane, whatever) or there will be no cleaning it once you spill oil or other grubby thing on it.

Dan
            Last edited by DanStokes; January 15, 2018, 03:20 PM.

Comment

That's one fine piece of craftsmanship there... Finer than frog hair!
              There's a coating called Bartop
              Here's the link http://www.bestbartopepoxy.com/epoxy/
              Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Deft's bar top finish..

Comment

Put some cool posters on the bottom side, so the folded up bench looks like a picture frame ... useful in both positions !

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                    Put some cool posters on the bottom side, so the folded up bench looks like a picture frame ... useful in both positions !
                    Genius. Pure genius.

Did I ever say I love BangShift? If I didn't, I meant to.

Comment

Maybe one of your best or favorite puzzles??
                      Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                        Maybe one of your best or favorite puzzles??
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010101.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	1186850

Comment

That way when the "scary" kid gets to you, turn him face down and give him a good shellacking!
                          Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Scary Kid dart board ?

Comment

As a followup and finish-off, y'all would be proud. The advice for putting a fluid-protectant on the working surface of the bench was well taken. I decided to go with a couple coats of just el cheapo Tony Depot polyurethane. But first I had to fill in all the holes where the Daddy deck screws countersunk themselves deep into the plywood work surface. After doing that I had to sand it smooth.

Then I got to looking at it....I've got some hours in this thing already, why not stain the work surface before putting the poly on it? Just because I can. I mean, why not? So Red Oak jumped into the shopping basket at Tony Depot. It looked real pretty on the can label....but wow is that stuff dark. So I stained it, put a couple coats of poly on there and tah-dah. Unit said that's real nice, we could eat dinner out here on it, but it looks kind of funny with the nice top work surface and the bare naked legs and parts. Stand back about ten feet and....yep. Might as well stain the rest of it.

So I did. I stained the wall, I stained the floor, I stained my floor jack, I stained the ladder, I stained me, and I also got some of the stain on the work bench parts. Okay, that's done. What's next?

Name:	P1010102.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1188003

Name:	P1010103.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	1188004

Comment

Back to work!!! You'e slacking off again! JK...
                                Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Working...
                                X