Pdub's Folding Workbench Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pdub's Folding Workbench Project

I remember you talking about the garage in Weeville, when I saw this, you came to mind... Whatcha think?
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Very cool idea !

Comment

Man, that is a cool rig for sure! Space here is at a premium since we don't use our garage as a storage unit like lots of folks in our neighborhood do. EDIT: Which means we are GOING to park both of our cars in there.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010073.JPG Views:	1 Size:	254.7 KB ID:	1186520
      What I'm really digging is the work bench part of that. I even know where it would fit, right where I rigged up that "girl" shelf that hangs from chains and drops down when not in use.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bench1.JPG Views:	1 Size:	128.6 KB ID:	1186521
      I'm liking the work bench part of that thing better than the pegboard part because in our case I'd have to move the car out and fold down the bench to get to whatever tools I had stored in there. Huge food for thought, though, I could devise a much manlier fold-out work bench for that same spot. Thanks Patrick, you're always thinking!
      Last edited by pdub; January 13, 2018, 09:46 AM.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

This is what I'm gonna do. Project. Thanks for the idea Patrick!

Comment

I have an idea once in a while.. You are very welcome sir!
          ,,,,,,,. even more seldom is it received so graciously! Thank You!
          Patrick & Tammy

Comment

$36.00 worth of hardware from Ace Hardware just got home in Red's backseat. Wood and measurin' and cuttin' and screwin' to come tomorrow or Monday.

Comment

Alright .. another project to follow along with.

Comment

Parts. It would have been next to nothing in parts except they're proud of that 48-inch "piano" hinge, and I didn't have any Daddy deck screws so I had to buy a whole pound of 'em.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Bench Parts.jpg Views:	1 Size:	63.7 KB ID:	1186606
                Having to work without a drill press and a table saw makes straight holes and cuts a hold-your-tongue-right adventure. One of the features with the folding bench is the legs, the working end of them. I got to playing with 2x4 blocks last night and ciphered that halfway across the width is 1 11/16. So that far from the edges and that far from the end is where the pivot hole must go for the bolt. And don't miss that very spot by very much at all. And drill it straight (as much as possible).

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010078.JPG Views:	1 Size:	142.1 KB ID:	1186607
                And from there the end has to be rounded. I found a can in the cabinet that is gitzactly the same width as the 2x4 to make the mark. Follow the mark with the sabre saw (in as much as possible).

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010080.JPG Views:	1 Size:	147.1 KB ID:	1186608

Off to get the wood. The thermometer says 17, up from 14 a little while ago. I must REALLY want to do this...
                Last edited by pdub; January 14, 2018, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Awesome!
                  Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Wood. And the Magnificent Dan Stokes shop heater. I was already out there pulling stuff out and it occurred to me, wait, wait until this place heats up out here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010081.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	1186625

Comment

That rascal WORKS, no?

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                        That rascal WORKS, no?

Dan
                        Man, does it EVER. It was the middle of January out there and I fired that puppy up and it was July in no time. Turned one of the burners off and set the other one to low to keep it around late April/early May.

I decided to want the bench to be 3 x 5, which a great way to waste a lot of a whole sheet of plywood. But that's as BIG as I wanted it to be. Future valuable pieces left over.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010082.JPG Views:	1 Size:	163.4 KB ID:	1186640
                        The foundation is set. Wow a piano hinge sure has a whole copious amount of itty bitty screws in it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1010084.JPG Views:	1 Size:	132.8 KB ID:	1186641
                        I might even finish this thing today. Would sure like to and get the cars back in out of the frozen tundra.
                        Last edited by pdub; January 14, 2018, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Man, does it EVER. It was the middle of January out there and I fired that puppy up and it was July in no time. Turned one of the burners off and set the other one to low to keep it around late April/early May.

The foundation is set. Wow a piano hinge sure has a whole copious amount of itty bitty screws in it.

There's strength in numbers Buddy!

Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_54341.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	1186661 Well, I got it built and I'm plumb give out, cant pick up all of that to set it on the wall, not today anyhow. 7 hours later, that sure was fun. That's the most physical labor I've been able to do in many months and it feels good. Until tomorrow morning maybe, we'll see.

Last edited by pdub; January 14, 2018, 03:25 PM.

Comment

I have one of those heater burners on order . Its just way to cold to work in the detached garage . My kerosene stove is not getting it done .
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                              X