Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My nephew went for a ride Tuesday evening.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My nephew went for a ride Tuesday evening.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Daniel Accident #2.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	359.0 KB
ID:	1186235Click image for larger version

Name:	Daniel Accident #3.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	370.6 KB
ID:	1186233 Avalanche crossed the center line & hit right behind his steering tires. Then took out his drivers side fuel tank that was 3/4 full. And then proceeded to bounce on & off of the left side of his trailer front to back. Dan took a ride trying to keep the tractor & trailer upright. It finally jack knifed on him but he did not roll it down the shoulder. It is a 2018 tractor. Just coming up on 100,000 miles. He couldn't get to the guy in the Avalanche because of all of the diesel spilled onto the road. They ended up life flighting him out. Closed the highway for six hours. They took the guys phone & today we found out that they are 95% certain that he was texting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Daniels Accident #1.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	1186234
    Attached Files
    ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

I hand mine off or put it under a shirt or rag..
    Kinda shitty to ruin 2 nice new rigs!

Comment

Originally posted by 67 Camaro View Post
      Avalanche crossed the center line & hit right behind his steering tires. Then took out his drivers side fuel tank that was 3/4 full. And then proceeded to bounce on & off of the left side of his trailer front to back. Dan took a ride trying to keep the tractor & trailer upright. It finally jack knifed on him but he did not roll it down the shoulder.
      Thank heavens he is okay and kudos to him for controlling his rig.

Comment

Glad he was able to ride it out and it wasn't any worse .
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Yuck-OH, glad he's okay!
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Sean just put a Bluetooth radio in my truck for the commute....too many close calls from others texting.....happy to hear that your nephew had the skills to keep him shiney side up!
            Last edited by silver_bullet; January 11, 2018, 06:33 AM.
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I am on my tiny lap top..is that a steering arm..pitman arm ?

my dad has the 2016 peterbilt 579, he is always second guessing the front.

his only accident wa sin the early 80s, midwest roads straight as can be.. a car came flying across the median, hit his manual steering cracker jack box right in the driver siude wheel.

broke his arm.

glad you nephew is ok.

Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Glad it wasn't worse than it was. I'm surprised the Avalanche driver survived, but happy with the outcome. Your nephew did a great job and I hope he isn't out of work for very long.
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Good job Neph! Buy him a Diet Coke from me!

Dan

Comment

Dan was back to work in a spare truck the next Sunday. He works Sunday-Thursday. Just found out that the guy has a broken collar bone & a broken femur. And probably needed some fresh undies. He was also ticketed for texting & driving. So they must have a way to check that.

Comment

Originally posted by 67 Camaro View Post
                      Dan was back to work in a spare truck the next Sunday. He works Sunday-Thursday. Just found out that the guy has a broken collar bone & a broken femur. And probably needed some fresh undies. He was also ticketed for texting & driving. So they must have a way to check that.
                      Yes..timeline on your bill or device.. Everything is time stamped, even this post..

That wreck could have been easily worse.
                      25 miles from here a gas tanker wrecked.. Fire was put out fast but the fuel softened the roadbed.. It was a sort of a dip. They dug down 15-20 ft and rebuilt the road back up..
                      Then another one wrecked but 60 miles away in the mountains and that flowed into a river.. Did not seep into the roadbed. It was too cold, while the first one was during a heat wave

Somebody was looking after nephew...

Comment

That would probably have been my dad who invested a lot of time helping raise him. (With no apologies to any offended atheists.) He hauls milk & the tanks do not have baffles to keep it from sloshing around. I think that milk is the only liquid that does not have baffles, but I can not remember what the reason for that was. I do know that all of those guys are more than a bit paranoid about getting into potential roll-over situations with those tankers as they will roll easier than other tankers.

Comment

Sterilization reasons for no baffles..

Had a 550 gallon tank in the back of a pickup for fire fighting/safety on the farm.. It was a bulk fuel tank.. It lurched and swayed getting from the pump to the area needing watered..

Comment

We found out yesterday that the guy that hit him got a couple of new charges. Turns out they found out that he was trying to commit suicide over a breakup with his girlfriend. I do not recall exactly what they said they were so I will not speculate here.

Comment

Shitty way to commit suicide.. Put it all on the driver (nephew).
                              Glad they are adding charges...

Comment

Working...
                              X