Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone remember these 4x4 traction lifts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone remember these 4x4 traction lifts?

got a friend trying to find some but he cant remember the name of them,
    a google search under 'leaf spring traction lift' found this picture....

Click image for larger version

Name:	tractionlift.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1185502

I remember seeing them in the magazines on a few featured trucks but not who made them .
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

for those who love the skateboard suspension system....

traction lift is the only name that's popping into my head
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Looks like the spring is getting a wedgy, pinion
        angle looks sketchy too.

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
          Looks like the spring is getting a wedgy, pinion
          angle looks sketchy too.
          it's the most hateful thing - it basically removes any movement in your suspension. Back in the day, it was the 'only' way to lift taller then 12" because no one made springs taller then a 12" lift.... the only suspension was lowering your tire pressure - of course that had drawbacks like being unable to steer at speed, but just like pro-fairgrounds later, it was all about style.

Comment

W/ leaf springs, the further away the point where the rubber-hits-the-whatever-it's-hitting is from the spring center, the more the tendency to wheel-hop under marginal traction situations... I've never seen one of these but I'd say by the looks it would provide a little lift and band-aid the wheel hop at the same time, essentially a slapper bar in both directions. I see enough slop in there to allow normal suspension action, such as you'd get with that spring, and of-course it's adjustable via the nine different hole positions. Pinion angle looks about right provided there's a CV joint (such as double-cardan) off the transfer case, usually is. '70s tech. Nice steering skid marks up the side there, I can't see where the steering hardware is anyhow so who-knows what the deal is there.

Comment

I like my under u-bolt hellwigs.. the wimpy half ton springs at the heart of it.

I never did get into the solid axle stuff, just watched it go by.
              ..and my dads rigs. lots of rigs.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I had a roommate that stole a bunch of pictures - in that bunch were several trucks that we were quite proud of that used that.

Basically, it is a traction bar, but you put the bolt in while the suspension is partially or fully unloaded so that it limits upward movement. You can get 1 1/2- 3" of lift doing that but oh does it ride terribly (I think I've mentioned that before). The idea behind it was that in mud, you don't need suspension (my, we were idiots, okay maybe not idiots but we had a lot to learn) when you're running in the mud - you need bigger tires.... at least that was the theory, that said, there are still people who think that designing a suspension to plant power on dirt is pointless.... of course those are the very same ones that told me I couldn't pop up a rock because my suspension would unload on the front and overbalance me backwards... smh
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 5, 2018, 07:53 PM.

Comment

yes, they do ride like @ss-on-a-stick....

but hes building a '79 K5 and its "period
                  correct" looking, and he wants em, so...

if i cant figure out the brand (sad, i had 4 of
                  these on my old blazer but cant for the life of
                  me remember who made em..dang old age! )
                  i will end up fabing some from 1/4 wall box tube
                  & plate inserts ( so the box tubing cant collapse)

just trying to avoid even MORE
                  crazy fab work for free...........

Comment

I would be kind of surprised if anyone still built them... but who knows, there's crazier stuff out there..

Comment

Working...
                    X