Track Lighting Warning PSA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
    The sun caught it just right and the crystal acted like a magnifying glass burning a hole in the table!
    DAYUM!

Tom, this house was built in 1987 with no building codes enforced at the time. So, what's behind the walls that we can't see? If it burns down, I hope we're at Gear Head Inn, and even at that rate, there will be one dead cat here for sure.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
      Pdub I'm a electrician. Resistance = heat. Poor connection is what caused that. I'm not fond of those push on connectors for that reason. Every connection means resistance and heat.

A friend of mine is a fireman and fire inspector. He told me his house almost caught on fire and he wouldn't have believed the cause if he hadn't seen it. He walked into his living room and saw smoke coming off a wooden coffe table. They had a glass crystal hanging in a window. The sun caught it just right and the crystal acted like a magnifying glass burning a hole in the table!

New codes require "arc fault" circuit breakers in most rooms. When you have a fault, bad connection it has a frequency to it. The arc fault breakers see these anomalies and open the circuit.
      I am an electrician also...that's why I made my previous statement...I am not a big fan of track lighting for this very reason.....PLUS add on the endlessly adjustable fixtures and each time the connection gets strained I can imagine those wire strands getting broken to the point of arcing the circuit and having an incident.....
      Last edited by silver_bullet; January 6, 2018, 05:00 AM.
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
      X