Blower Whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blower Whine

The last time we were at GHI, Perry commented that Red sure does have a whine. I said that was an installed whine, and a costly whine as well.

It got time to change the lube, in fact I went to sleep and let it go a couple hundred miles longer than the recommended point for the initial lube change. I changed it, and blower oil sure does stink. The old stuff and the new stuff, it smells like a skunk fart. Changed it, it's all good, on the dipstick,

Since then, maybe that was the point in time, maybe not, Red's blower whine is LOUD. He's running like a champ, it's just the whine. And I love that sound, lots of folks do, but I think it's gotten louder. Either it's gotten louder or my hearing/listening has improved, which is not likely.

Red's blower is an enclosed system, sits there in a bath of oil. I'm wondering if the initial break-in lube was maybe a little bit thicker than what you use after that?
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Better call the factory and check. By the way, how do you know what a skunk fart smells like??? Just wondering.................

Comment

Red is cold and tired of you leaving him inside when there are fresh streets to play on.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

straight cut gears tend to get a bit noisier as time goes on.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
          straight cut gears tend to get a bit noisier as time goes on.
          Thanks SBG, that could explain it. Whatever it is, I'm pretty sure I'm not imagining it. I mean it's....yeah, it's loud. I love it but it's loud. You'd initially think more about exhaust volume disturbing the nearby neighbors. We've got that covered with the MagnaFlows. But that blower is loud, it's become so.

Comment

Wanta here another example of straight cut gears whining, watch Two Lane Blacktop and listen to that M22 4-speed in the 55 make a pure symphony of music! It's old school but I would love to have one in my 69 Camaro.
            Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
            If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

I absolutely love blower whine.... It's the finest "wine" to partake!
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                I absolutely love blower whine.... It's the finest "wine" to partake!
                I do too, and it is. From Day One, at around 2K RPM going down the road, it would whistle like a jet engine at medium idle. Now, that thing....that thing is LOUD. At "crank." GYAH.

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
                  Wanta here another example of straight cut gears whining, watch Two Lane Blacktop and listen to that M22 4-speed in the 55 make a pure symphony of music! It's old school but I would love to have one in my 69 Camaro.
                  I got one of those nv3500, my 96 gmc. factory v8.
                  it whines like straight cut with its muncie sticker.

I assumed now, like my dads million mile rigs.. a gentle bevel grinds its way to a straight noise...they really thrash some oil too. last even longer.
                  as if they made paddles out of themsleves and a perfect mesh.
                  my latest odometer reading.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00592w.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	1185317
                  maybe it is a shape in the middle, a cross between, maybe those are the next noise, we made them by accident of longevity.

hard to believe homosexual took over the transmission dept.
                  D for Gay.
                  R for Transvestite.

the MANual will return.
                  /rant
                  went off on a tangent there.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 3, 2018, 09:07 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

There's a lot of thought and conjecture and discussion about, "What is a hotrod?" The general consensus is that a hotrod is 500 HP or more. Red is right there, though not measured at the crank. From the dyno results at the wheels, the theoretical calculator says 501 at the crank. That's in theory. So, is Red a hotrod? He thinks he is.

Neither here nor there, Red wants to air it out some more. And it's wintertime and frankly we're suffering from serious cabin fever here at Weeville. Frozen in, looking out the windows. wanting to buy a camper, something, anything to get out of here. Eventually it'll warm up, that's just the weather. Next up, Barber. what a beautiful race track.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob
                      Turbo 475's are straight cut gears.. Whine can be heard over upturned header exhausts... I'm told.. Kid was worried something was wrong.. Then he drove my 57 again... Ohhh straight cut gears!
                      Might need thicker loob?

Comment

There is no sound of performance than the whine of a blower.

Tim
                        '71 Buick Sportwagon running project
                        '85 Ford Crown Victoria 2 dr. 2nd project
                        2015 Harley Street Glide 103ci

Comment

This is a whine about the whine thread.......

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
                            This is a whine about the whine thread.......
                            Yep, yet another thing I shouldn't have done. I shouldn't whine about blower whine, that whine is sex on wheels. Mighty lucky to have it. And I love it.

Comment

Working...
                            X