No announcement yet.

We Want a Class C Motor Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can relate, Mike. Our Kingsford is Our Boy, now that the human ones have moved on to a life of their own (the trade-off is that we now get Grands...). Anyhow, we stick to Red Roof and LaQuinta - or Motel Six if we're stuck - as they have no dog fees. We have a raised-roof E-150 that we travel in but I sure don't want to spend the night in it! I'll admit that a MH has it's appeal but I don't want another vehicle to maintain given my old age and all.

Dan

Comment

• Haven't seen this yet..RV SHOWS.. Can look at several brands in one huge place.. Don't know if they have them there but here they have several a year in several places. Can test drive in a huge parking lot

Comment

• We used to love RV/outdoor stuff shows, went to them before we got married. One way to find if you and a gal are compatible, see if what lights her eyes up is the same as yours (or at-least something you could live with...).

Comment

• We're gonna get something and we're going to do it. And as always, BSers are the greatest bunch of enablers on earth. We will, and we will, but nobody ever figured we'd get so charged up about something when it was so danged cold that we don't even want to go look.

Tow it. Drive it. Drive it and tow something else behind it. Big, little. It's a whole new world for us, we haven't done that yet. But we will. And all that you guys have contributed makes us better armed when we go looking. And of all things posted here, that video of the tow-behind fishtailing and making the whole rig turn over...that's megafood for thought.

Did I ever say I love BangShift? If I didn't, I meant to.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

• Our intent was to travel to see family who all live out of state, to meet folks from Bangshift face to face, to see parts of America we have never seen, etc, in the comfort of our own "nest". I had no idea it would all be so complicated. This thread has opened my eyes to all the other considerations like maintenance, storage, taxes, license, registration, insurance, health of the driver, etc. Thanks guys, keep it coming.

Comment

• Originally posted by pdub View Post
              ... all that you guys have contributed makes us better armed...
              ...or is that, better alarmed?

Comment

• Originally posted by Loren View Post

...or is that, better alarmed?
                That is probably the most true statement ever!

Cheap low load range tires are a no-no..
                Neighbors bought cheap ones and packed a big cab over camper pulling a quad on a trailer to hunt rocks.. Had blow out after blow out. Asked him what load range...."Oh, I don't know..never paid more than $100 a tire...

I run load range D on the flatbed.. In 20 years, one blowout at 65. Dualies make it dramafree stopping.. About $160-190/tire

Comment

• Again.. Go to a big RV SHOW. Put on by dealers.

You can get deals on the last day.. They have to drive them back to their lots..

Buddy bought his camper, traded to a motorhome and boat at SHOWS..

I'd say get a motorhome, rather than a trailer.. Bubba likely do fine but LIKELY need helper springs, air bags , and or sway bars, maybe a blower so bicycles do not pass you!

Comment

• We're rapidly changing our mind about the whole RV thing. Every bit of it. We sure are. It was not a bluff. But we don't think we need one to see the USA. We can get in the car and go.
                    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

• It was a novel idea and it's great all the personal input you've gotten from actual RV'ers. You want to enjoy yourselves so really evaluate the info. Me and John will be hitting the highways of America in another year and I actually gave an RV some thought but want to see it from one of my Hot Rod's. Besides John loves riding in them.
                      Maybe we can coordinate some trips.
                      Last edited by corvettedad; January 3, 2018, 12:47 AM.
                      Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                      If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

• Places like the Grand Canyon and Yellowstone are hard to get rooms during the season.. I tried in July on my way back from Iowa, got dark..went so far away that the next day we just went on home..
                        Consider a large van with the stuff in it or a small motorhome.. Inatead of the big yachts you were considering..
                        A van you can stand up in, go potty in, sleep in and cook.. Lounge outside unless it's raining..

Food for thought..

Comment

• A couple years ago I was taking my CEU classes for my electric license. Sitting next to me is this older gent, about 70. We get to talking and he says when these classes are done, he has his trailer packed and he and his wife will be on the road for months. Cool I think. I have this mental image of a extended PU with a 20' trailer. Next day he shows me a picture. I almost fell out of my chair. He had a fricken 18 wheeler! He had a sleeper cab Peterbuilt with a 53' trailer. I'm looking at the cab, no name on the truck with passenger plates, no commercial. So I ask him, do you have a CDL? He says, I don't need one. You don't need a CDL to drive a 18 wheeler with air brakes? No he says, CDL is commercial, this isn't commercial. But I do have one.
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Husk, young kid, ex derby driver, now plumbing biz owner has a roundy round car, quad and a big trailer the car goes into and his family goes with him.
                            Takes vacations and races all over the west coast in a Freightliner with a sleeper Rv in the trailer too.. Wife does barrel racing with it too, but different trailer.. He ain't 40 yet!

Comment

Working...
                            X