Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malc View Post
    Looking at Time-Serts on EBay.......$$$$
    I now have the Subaru (and generic 11mmX1.25) Time-Sert kit, bought used from Ebay. I'll probably resell it unless there's a reason to do more of them. I paid $325 and it had only been used for 1 Sert. I'm thinking I'll ask $300 but maybe a bit less.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

I now have the Subaru (and generic 11mmX1.25) Time-Sert kit, bought used from Ebay. I'll probably resell it unless there's a reason to do more of them. I paid $325 and it had only been used for 1 Sert. I'm thinking I'll ask $300 but maybe a bit less.

Dan
      Wow?!?!?, Would these be the same type of timesert kits I bought 25 years ago for less than $30? I know I've got a kit for Corvair spark plugs somewhere in the garage.

Comment

This kit is (I think) their most expensive. With the alignment plate, drill bushing, tools, etc. it's about $440 new. But it's the RIGHT tool for this job and works perfectly. The Serts are about $4.00 each for this application as they're 30mm long, about twice the usual length.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          This kit is (I think) their most expensive. With the alignment plate, drill bushing, tools, etc. it's about $440 new. But it's the RIGHT tool for this job and works perfectly. The Serts are about $4.00 each for this application as they're 30mm long, about twice the usual length.

Dan
          Oh I see, the old kit I bought only had the special tap and the crimping tool. I free handed the drilling and tapping

Comment

The Subie head bolts are down in a hole and it would be WAY too easy to drill them off a degree or two so the alignment system is really critical. This saves blocks that would otherwise have to be scrapped. Spark plug holes could, I think, be pretty easy to free hand and if they were off a tiny bit it would be OK anyhow. Different application, different solution!

Dan

Comment

Here's a piece by Jeff Smith on doing a heli coil on an sbc.
              How to Fix a Stripped Head Bolt.

Wish I'd read it before I did mine.

Comment

Working...
              X