Fess Up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fess Up!

When's the last time you pulled maintenance on your air compressor? Just did mine this afternoon - for the first time since I got and installed it at least a decade ago. It all started with needing to pump up the trailer tires prior to the trip to FL to get the Grandson's T-Blazer SS. The pressure regulator had been blowing off for months so I might as well fix that. To do that fix I had to drain off the pressure in the tank. Might as well pull the bottom plug and let the water out (surprisingly little) whilst I have the tank drained. And how long since I changed the oil - UM - NEVER. The bottle of compressor oil is sitting right there so I might as well. So now everything is freshly serviced and working as designed. I do need to clean the filter but I forgot that - I'll look at it when I get home from the rescue trip. Besides, I've done that a time or two.

I'm sure it'll toss a rod in the near future as no good deed goes unpunished.

Dan

The old compressor I did twice between buying it in 05 and it being held hostage in 13. The new one is due now. I drain the water from them relatively often. Of course I use mine more than most people who don't do the car thing for a living.

Comment

I check the oil every ten years, whether it needs it or not.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I maintain. I have another compressor sitting next to the compressor funny thing, it's sounded like it's on its last legs for a couple years now - but that new compressor has incentivized it to keep working because it knows it's going to become a sub-compact car when it finally does throw that rod.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Drained the water out of ours about a month ago, wasn't that bad looking and changed the filter too.
          "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

my new one is oiless. The old one only had a couple hours on it...I think I am going to sell this one and get another...I need more air....20 gallons is not enough....sadly
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I don't get the point of oil less compressors - how do you keep the tank from rusting without pouring oil into it from the compressor?

Comment

Funny this comes up. My "big" compressor (60 gallon 5hp 2 cylinder non-2 stage) crapped out last week. I bought it slightly used from a friend for $120 back in 1990, it needed a new motor which I bought and installed, and has been extremely useful since then. I changed the oil every couple of years and checked it every fall.

It makes a loud buzzing noise, and the motor and pump both move slightly but do not actually start up. Spinning the motor and pump with belt on revealed no weird noises and went a full revolution. Simple right? Buy a new start solenoid and keep on trucking.

Wrong. New start solenoid in - does same thing. Pulled the belt and the motor starts and runs fine. Pump still turns by hand, perhaps somewhat stiffly. By now I am unsure if it is any stiffer than when it worked or not.

And there are some very interesting new 2-stage compressors at Harbor Freight and Family-Farm-and-Home, and TSC. I am really not married to this compressor, I just want one that works.......lately I lose interest when shop time involves fixing the tools.

Anyone interested in a somewhat compromised compressor? There is a new one calling my name.......
                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

American-made compressors cost almost exactly the same as ones made of Chinesium. It's like Tundra trucks, people buy them mostly because they hate America not because they like the truck.

Comment

... and yeah.... let me tell you how I really feel about them

Comment

These compressors are not chinesium, amazingly. At least the main components aren't. Italian pumps, US motors (Ohio even!) and the tanks trace to North Carolina I believe.

Anyways......say you were in my shoes. What new compressor tickles your fancy?

Comment

I've bought new compressors, but the tank is almost as old as I am (it's well oiled). that said, google has answers with all that said, I'd buy a Kaeser rotary if I had Stiney money.
                        http://usamadeproducts.biz/tools-pow...mpressors.html

Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 6, 2017, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Alrighty then.......and what would you do if you had SBG money? I'm seeing the Kaeser rotary at $4000 range.

Comment

no, I'm the one with the oily tank.... and the new compressor waiting for the old one to finally throw a rod.... though at this point I think it will merely stop compressing because the rings are worn off.

Comment

My antique compressor came with my house, twin cylinder pump, 220 motor and a 60 gallon tank that sure looks like an 80 gallon.

For years the motor would intermittently buzz and hum at startup, and the pump would knock until it warmed up. Then one day the motor started smoking from a capacitor. Had the local residential wiring guy come out +the motor properly which led to it's death. New motor installed, oil changed in the pump, we have air....for about 6 months. Then the compressor knocking got REAL loud. Used it a couple more times and a rod came through the cast iron block. Great more money.

Bought a replacement pump and bolted it on, but now how to plumb the discharge to the tank? Anyone know where you can find bendable copper tubing (thin wall?), I don't see any DIY kits and the old tube won't fit, and can't be bent, its stiff!

GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

Working...
                              X