Technological Breakthru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technological Breakthru

It's better to reinstall an oil filter before starting an engine. Some of you may not know that. I have recent proof of this.

Dan

Pix, or it didn't happen.
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

If you wanted to drain the pan there is a plug for that!
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

why use gravity when you can pump it out !
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

how is that a scientific test without repeating the steps?
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I had a similar issue when I put the wrong filter on an Olds 455 once.... Once, and it was a very long time ago....
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
              Pix, or it didn't happen.
              That's right - it NEVER happened.

Dan

Comment

Put a filter on a 55 Ollie... Worked fine.. Branch whacked it.. BARELY....spurted all over ME! Little uncomfy and very messy

Comment

put on new filter. friends came over and had some adult beverages. put car back on ground and filled with oil. drain plug is a most.

Comment

Some time 'way back I had to remove the filter on our 305 Chevy boat to do an I/O repair...later on I'm running the engine up (on the trailer), after a bit I'm thinking, hmmm...I don't remember this thing having those little noises...hmmm, it does seem like it's getting even a little noisier...hmmm, it really is even noisier now than it was, like some rod bearings or somethingOHHH-F*CK!

That motor was tired anyhow, I replaced it with one from a wrecked Camaro. The bilge, I never did get all that old oil cleaned out of it which blew out from where the filter was supposed to go. Years later I about swamped that boat when the hull plug came out, and what was left of it floated up and soaked the carpet and that was another mess to clean up.

Last year when I had to take a phone call in the middle of changing the oil on my truck, I forgot the drain plug and sent the first four quarts of fresh motor oil straight into the grimy drain pan.

All this is why we have check lists. Recently I was reading about how the first prototype B-17 was crashed (with loss of life) when they forgot to take the gust locks out of the control surfaces before an important flight, about the same thing as forgetting an oil plug 'cause your mind's preoccupied, even the best of us (and them) forget simple stuff. https://web.archive.org/web/20070516...et.asp?id=2478

Comment

Hull plug , yeah we lauched a boat once and got about a mile out on the lake and was getting ready to ski and notice the boat , shes sitting alot lower in the water . Look over and there is the plug in a cubby next to the throttle / trim control . We stuck the plug in and headed back for the trailer to pull the boat temporarily out of the water to drain it . After that it was attached to the key chain after the boat was pull out and cleaned up .
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I make a fair amount of money suing oil change places for all manner of stupid mistakes. I learned one thing, though, did you know that Toyota uses SAE threads on their filters? Did you also know that there is a metric equivalent that is close but a bit loose? and finally, did you know that if you put that filter on, it will stay there for a bit?

The oil change company wasn't going to pay for the new motor until I got the receipt from the O'reilly where a filter for the (iirc) mitsubishi was purchased on their company account about 10 minutes after they checked in this lady's Celica.... what bugs me in all of this is they thought they'd get away with it.... they did not, it cost them $7500.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          I make a fair amount of money suing oil change places for all manner of stupid mistakes. I learned one thing, though, did you know that Toyota uses SAE threads on their filters? Did you also know that there is a metric equivalent that is close but a bit loose? and finally, did you know that if you put that filter on, it will stay there for a bit?

The oil change company wasn't going to pay for the new motor until I got the receipt from the O'reilly where a filter for the (iirc) mitsubishi was purchased on their company account about 10 minutes after they checked in this lady's Celica.... what bugs me in all of this is they thought they'd get away with it.... they did not, it cost them $7500.
                          I wonder if the Ollie filter was metric on Oliver?

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                            All this is why we have check lists. Recently I was reading about how the first prototype B-17 was crashed (with loss of life) when they forgot to take the gust locks out of the control surfaces before an important flight, about the same thing as forgetting an oil plug 'cause your mind's preoccupied, even the best of us (and them) forget simple stuff. https://web.archive.org/web/20070516...et.asp?id=2478
                            And that may well be why we now have bright red "Remove Before Flight" flags that hang on every flight control lock.
                            ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Originally posted by 67 Camaro View Post

And that may well be why we now have bright red "Remove Before Flight" flags that hang on every flight control lock.

We have one of those on the collar of one of our bloodhounds.... someone did, actually, ask once

Comment

Working...
                              X