1st time autocrossing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st time autocrossing

This past Sunday I met up with two friends, both with 66 Mustangs in the same "pristine" condition as mine. to do a auto crossing event at Watkins Glen. Drove 100 mile to WG, thrashed my car and drove 100 miles back home. How cool is that to do? I did ok for a first timer I guess, despite the track asking me to have some one ride along with me a couple times. I had one corner that just gave me fits no matter how many times i walked it or drove it or watched other cars. it was a 180 degree turn that I kept sighting cones on the exit as the entrance. Oh well, finally the last run was a clean run. I didn't car about the time, I just had a blast

Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Wow Man that's great fun! Great job of it!

I've done autocross I think 4 events and proven I'm absolutely no good at it at all. It's a whole lot harder than it looks from the spectator chairs. And we've even signed up for next year's Cars and Cones Tour. Yep, we're in, lousy or not.

That's just hard, walk the course, you'd BETTER walk the course. And even then it's just a sea of scattered cones, where's the the dadgum course?!?!?! I think if they had about ten thousand more cones, like the stripes on the side of a race track, it would be a whole lot easier. But that's part of the game. It's amazing how good some folks ARE at it. Even more amazing after you've tried it for real.

Good job Man! You done good! Lots better than I have done at it for sure.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I tried the autocross thing a long long time ago. I had an Opel Kadett and then and then a Sprite. It was fun, but I was never good at it. You looked really good for the first time.

Comment

Tom, that was a great run. I've never had an autocross run come together so well. You stayed on course and didn't drag any cones under the car for about a hundred yards. That was just great.
        Last edited by pdub; October 17, 2017, 08:11 PM.

Comment

I doubt my attention span would allow me to figure out where to go in that mess of cones !!

Great job ...

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
            I doubt my attention span would allow me to figure out where to go in that mess of cones !!

Great job ...
            Golly bum that is hard to do. Yesssir, that was a fantastic job. I'll take that anytime, after about 15 tries. Dang, How'd he do that?

Comment

I mean at GHI, Victor pointed at Red and said, "You should be GREAT at autocross in that car."

Well, don't count on it. NO.

Comment

Pdub...I think you'd be pretty good at it with a bit of practice... really I do!
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                  Pdub...I think you'd be pretty good at it with a bit of practice... really I do!
                  Thanks Patrick! I've got a bridge in New York I'd like to sell to ya for cheap. Wanna buy it?

Comment

This winter I'm going to build a set of sub frame connectors, put torque boxes in the front and a new exhaust system. The tires on the car now have next to no grip It really didn't take too much to get the car sliding or plowing. I even looped it once and that was so I wouldn't hit the timers at the end. On my first walk of the track with my friend Mark, who's very experienced and a good driver said what ever you do, do not hit the timers. There will be a lot of unhappy people. Luckily that honor went to someone else. I think this my be ne of the first times I like winter, make improvements on the car!

I may go to 17's. I can get a great deal on a set of 4 new take off 05 Mustang wheels. This set up will allow a much better back space so I'll actually clear my fenders and be able to run 235's in front with tons of room. I'm rubbing with 215's now.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I always got lost in the ORANGE CONE FORREST. I gave up autocross in the 1980s and decided running ProRally with real trees was easier.

Nick

Comment

That was a great run Tom. And if it's fun it's fun, and you gave some fun to all of us. Thank you Sir. That was fun to watch, thanks so much for sharing it. Well done Sir.

The greatest thing I've ever seen at autocross was Team Ferrari in Chattanooga. Car shows up on the trailer. Fancy matching costumes, leather driving gloves, the whole deal. They unloaded and made their "run," and right behind them, next up, was a 90-pound lady in a Miata who busted their ass by about 15 seconds on a one-minute course. The Ferrari guys got pissed off, loaded up and left. HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!

Comment

There was this petite woman in her 40's. She had a 60's or early 70's mini cooper in various colors with sticky tires. Man, could she drive that thing! She was the one at the last gate talking to me. I'll have to see if I can find her driving some place. it was fascinating watching her drive.
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Thanks Patrick! I've got a bridge in New York I'd like to sell to ya for cheap. Wanna buy it?

Not in the market for a bridge.... I got one...With a dam.... Just sayin' you on an autocross course... the only thing in danger is the cones and Sue Unit could ride along! could be an epiphany caused by a drunk decision....
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

Not in the market for a bridge.... I got one...With a dam.... Just sayin' you on an autocross course... the only thing in danger is the cones and Sue Unit could ride along! could be an epiphany caused by a drunk decision....
                              Well, we're gonna do it next year, signed up, five day's worth of it. Vic and Terri weren't at all drunk when they were gushing so much about it, Cars and Cones. So it wasn't a drunk sales pitch. SOLD. If they like it so much, it must be huge fun. But Red and I don't get around the cones so well, but....SOLD. and Red would rather get passed by a Volkswagen hatchback on the long straightaway at Road Atlanta, and....SOLD. But it's a long day to get to the starting point and then a much longer day to get back, and....SOLD.

Cones. I can start dreaming dreaming about cones.

Comment

Working...
                              X