And Then There Were 2 XJ's...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And Then There Were 2 XJ's...

I was working on wife's 98 Wrangler a couple months ago, and I noticed it's gettin a bit too rusty for my liking. Wranglers are rot buckets here in Rustbeltville especially TJ's. The frames and tubs rot out like crazy. Chrysler musta dug up all the 70's AMC metal they could find to build them. Welp.. after that the search was on for a replacement vehicle. I looked at 4x4 Chebby 1/2 tons.. Everything I found has an assload of miles, rust, and high prices. So I started looking at XJ Cherokees.. Same gig, miles, rust, prices. I looked for about 2 months and I finally found a good candidate in Dayton Ohio on Craigslist about a week ago. I asked for some undercarriage pics and talked to the owner for a while. It's a clean Kentucky Jeep with tall miles (191k), but everything works, including the AC.. So.... I went down and picked it up today. I'm 4hrs north of Dayton. It took a days worth of driving, and a little over 3k in cash, but it made the 250 mile trek to my driveway.

Now if I could just get my wife to stop being so damn bitchy...

I'll post more pics later this week. This thing is pretty damn clean..

Originally posted by tardis454 View Post

Now if I could just get my wife to stop being so damn bitchy...

:

as long as youre dreaming you should ask for a pony too,
    and some ice cream, and free parts, and....

Comment

Never forget... Sitting in a parking lot in Iowa while the wife went in the store real quick... Jeep much like those pictured was parked next to me... The rear fender flare was pretty gone.. And it MOVED in the PARKING LOT PARKED!! WTH?? Closer look, saw the motion was a baby's leg strapped in the back seat.. I could see clear thru the fender into the back seat!

Comment

Btw, god deal on the new Jeep

Comment

Did you get the same year ?

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
            Did you get the same year ?
            The red ones a 98, green ones a 99, same thing basically.. Drove the 'new' one into work this morning, and... I like it!

Comment

Wife is still happy with our '91, over 340K miles now but not original drivetrain. (She's kinda interested in Nissan 350Z's these days but I ask; where would she put all her crap?) In Sept. I spent a week at the big bro's house up in the forest with a choice of either his '99 Wrangler or same-year Chero to drive, maybe I'm getting old but the choppy breezy ride in the Wrangler was kind-of a pain and after one trip I did the rest of the driving in the Cherokee. Not to mention, a lot easier to throw a dozen bags of groceries or the gettings from a trip to Tractor Supply into.

I never cared for Cherokees all the years they were built, until we got the '91 around 2005. Fun car, 70mph/20mpg all day, or bum around in the desert or woods all day and go 99% of the places a similar-equip Wrangler (or other 4x4) could, I shoulda bought one new back when and we could have saved a lot of trouble with other cars.

I gotta say though, after looking over (and cutting up) Kyle (/Eagle)'s Chero this year, do not get a rusty Cherokee. There is barely enough metal there in the first place when it's solid. Compromised by rust, they are not safe cars.
              Last edited by Loren; October 17, 2017, 08:22 AM.

Comment

treat the rust prone areas now! before it is too late! might fight off the tin worm for a year or two...maybe...if youre lucky...you know what..screw it...move to the south west...it'll save time and money.
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

At the first when I saw the title , I thought this was going to be about Jags . Congrats on the new jeep !
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

So far I've added vent visors, a carpet remnant to the cargo area, seat covers, an a set of Grand Cherokee 'Canyon' wheels I pulled off wife's TJ.

Here are a few more pics.

This Jeep is still super clean for having lived in Ohio the last 8yrs. I found some rot in the rear inner quarters which was caused by those stupid fuggin insulation bags Chrysler stuffs in there..

The PO took good care of this Jeep. The interior is still in great shape..

Love them Canyon wheels. It's amazing how wheels can totally change the look of a vehicle.

Comment

Looking good. More rubber is always a good first improvement.
                      Last edited by Dan Barlow; November 28, 2017, 08:28 PM.
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I just picked up a '95 XJ for a third vehicle! (We now have 3 drivers in the house)
                        250,000 miles on this one. It's a 'Country' model, so all leather! A little rusty, not too bad however, this one lived in northern Illinois, 3 hours south of my location, so a less rusty option than buying local.
                        Need it to last a year or two. Driving it to work this week.
                        Last edited by mike343sharpstick; November 28, 2017, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Buddy of mine had a '98...........put well over 200,000 miles on it without any issues
                          Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Those wheels look great, it's what we chose...but watch out for the proximity of the rear sway bar ends (if so equipped) to the inner side of the wheels/tires. Over uneven terrain the end can jam into the wheel rim and cause a horrible grinding until you back out of it, if it catches the tire instead that is the end of that tire instantly. I had to remove our bar altogether until I can get around to re-bending it a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                              Those wheels look great, it's what we chose...but watch out for the proximity of the rear sway bar ends (if so equipped) to the inner side of the wheels/tires. Over uneven terrain the end can jam into the wheel rim and cause a horrible grinding until you back out of it, if it catches the tire instead that is the end of that tire instantly. I had to remove our bar altogether until I can get around to re-bending it a little.
                              when did you remove it? asking for a friend
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X