No announcement yet.

The Great Eclipse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We were in total for a little over 2 minutes here. It did NOT get midnight dark but unit said the street lights came on here at the house.

My camera distorted and exaggerated the size of the Ring of Fire, it was not this big. But that was pure awesome, one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Just amazing. Yes, now I see what all the fuss was about.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Eclipse Pic.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1171081

Last edited by pdub; August 21, 2017, 02:13 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

that is some rare stuff pdub..
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07417w.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	1171083

I got a partial.

this is all natural, no filters, no cropping or adjusting.

I did resize for the web.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
        We were in total for a little over 2 minutes here. It did NOT get midnight dark but unit said the street lights came on here at the house.

My camera distorted and exaggerated the size of the Ring of Fire, it was not this big. But that was pure awesome, one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Just amazing. Yes, now I see what all the fuss was about.
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]n1171081[/ATTACH]
        Excellent pic! That there is publication quality. I had the strangest urge to bite someone in 91% of their neck but I fought it off.

Dan

Comment

Robert was in Andrews NC and got some great pictures off his telescope, he was super excited. Andrews was in it for 2 min 38 sec.
          Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
          If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
            Robert was in Andrews NC and got some great pictures off his telescope, he was super excited. Andrews was in it for 2 min 38 sec.
            Ohhhhh THOSE are the shots I want to see! I'll bet he got some world-class shots of the Ring of Fire. My pointy-shoot camera just messed it up, gosh that was a gorgeous sight to see.

Comment

here is a cell phone shot from today .....;-) Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5592.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	238.5 KB
ID:	1171094

OK so it's not from m cell phone. I didn't even plan on taking any pictures, but I couldn't help myself.
              Last edited by DirtyWhiteBoy; August 21, 2017, 04:12 PM.
              A.K.A. Brian
              Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Ohhhhh THOSE are the shots I want to see! I'll bet he got some world-class shots of the Ring of Fire. My pointy-shoot camera just messed it up, gosh that was a gorgeous sight to see.
                PW - A lot of the professional shots that have been on TV look just like yours. I think you and the point&shoot did OK. What the camera sees might not be exactly like what your eye picks up.

Dan

Comment

I think Barry and D.W.B. win for the photos...

Mine was taken w/ my '08 point-and-shoot, through a #10 welding filter, kind of a crap shoot but it worked that well. I got a couple lousy ones too.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                    I think Barry and D.W.B. win for the photos...

Mine was taken w/ my '08 point-and-shoot, through a #10 welding filter, kind of a crap shoot but it worked that well. I got a couple lousy ones too.
                    I did try...
                    one of the reasons for going to the sony SLT is these events.

it was all natural, no filters, no tricks. Used the clouds and adjusted light/shutter/fnumber.

It leads me to other things to purchase.. I really want a great photo.

2024 has maine in the bullseye.. and tennessee... again.
                    what are the odds?

a funny comment by my neighbor, seeing me up on this buildings front balcony..

"that was a nice telescope you had there."

that was not even the big lense.
                    Last edited by Barry Donovan; August 21, 2017, 05:02 PM.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

It was another amazing thing here, I had to make a trip to the training center, a mile and a quarter away from the mill after the eclipse was done. I got out there on US11 northbound, there was a line of cars as far as the eye could see headed southbound, nearly a mile's worth of vision, a long straightaway. As far as you could see, and another endless line of cars coming. Bumper to bumper. Crawling.

They were all leaving the eclipse viewing, wherever they looked at it. Georgia license plate, Illinois, Indiana, Delaware, me stuck in traffic with all of them a mile from my office at the mill. Yes, that was a really big deal. It sure was. We got a taste of it in the mountains yesterday, how many people were up there for it, but that was a really big deal. An international event, the talkers on the local news channel found people from Norway, Spain, Canada, everybody came all the way here to see it.

It's not very often a big deal comes to you, wherever you are. What an economic boon for the little towns up the road. I'll bet they've never seen anything like that amount of trade. I'll bet they'll never see anything like that again. I'm all for it, get it while you can. Once in a hundred years.
                      Last edited by pdub; August 21, 2017, 05:20 PM.

Comment

A bit more on your pic, Peewee. I learned something watching PBS this evening. The virtual F-stop on your camera determines how much of the corona you will see. One scientist had a camera programmed to take the same pic of the eclipse at different exposures yielding a progressively larger image of the corona - it's all there all the time but the human eye settles on one "f-stop" so you see it at certain size even though the corona is really much bigger. Your camera had a bigger f-stop and so got a bigger shot of the corona. Pretty cool, huh?! Nothing wrong with your camera or with your pic.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                          A bit more on your pic, Peewee. I learned something watching PBS this evening. The virtual F-stop on your camera determines how much of the corona you will see. One scientist had a camera programmed to take the same pic of the eclipse at different exposures yielding a progressively larger image of the corona - it's all there all the time but the human eye settles on one "f-stop" so you see it at certain size even though the corona is really much bigger. Your camera had a bigger f-stop and so got a bigger shot of the corona. Pretty cool, huh?! Nothing wrong with your camera or with your pic.

Dan
                          I had to use fstop to dim light, as I am with no solar filter.
                          lots of tricks, like car engines.

I cold have guessed this guy would have done something special:

I am forced to relive a memory of being held by my mom, and she was pointing up into the clouds..
                          I have only guessed mid 70s.

No one stays enthused with these silly events until totality I guess.
                          The way my mom portrayed things, big blue eyes... rare as an eclipse.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

My auto darkening welding helmet wouldn't darken so I didn't see much of anything. It just got slightly dimmer where I was. I'd much rather watch a lunar eclipse anyway. I got to see one in late 70s or early 80's.

Comment

A couple of Robert's, he really liked getting the one that they call the diamond ring. He's probably got several hundred more, he took a lot with his solar filter on his telescope also.
                              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by Whelk View Post
                                My auto darkening welding helmet wouldn't darken .
                                Yeah mine wouldn't either...Don't know why it'll darken for welding but not sun. I had gone out to the shop the previous Thurs and tried it so I'd know, and collected up/tested all my old odd filters to loan out/share and figured on using that full helmet for myself but, no...

Comment

Working...
                                X