The Great Eclipse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
    Well.. Hell's Bells! It's THURSDAY.. 4 days before the great eclipse... Walmart had 6-8 cases of water on the shelves, 2 packages of toilet paper,
    One station has no regular.. Diesel or super only..
    All my drivers are full plus a 5 gallon can.. Got 4 gallons of mower gas. Probably overstocked...but? Never know
    A small mountain town in the Cascades past Bend called Prineville has a 20 mile backup of traffic going into town and a friend who lives there says 3 of 5 stations have no gas.
    Shitz is just gonna get worse!
    Batten down the hatches, THAR SHE BLOWS.. Probably be a flop!

Saw a meme saying NASA miscalucated and the solar eclipse actually goes N to S over the east coast! Lol

You have heard the weather forecast, right? they 'think' the rain will hold off until Tuesday.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'm just hoping Robert and his buddies can find their way back home! Lol
      Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
      If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Today we went up and did the Dragon and the Skyway in Red. Golly bum people are flocking up there and parked all along the side of the roads and hiking into the woods to camp, they're ALREADY there in huge numbers. We saw a mom and pop restaurant advertising "Solar Burgers." Every changeable sign along the way had some reference to the eclipse.

Yeah, it's a big deal alright. For sure. I-75, TDOT has dragged out every roadside sign they have and probably rented some extras, "No parking on roadside during eclipse." Yeah, right, like they think absolutely nobody actually "won't."

Every open area beside the two-lane near the interstate has porta pottys set up and the sign "Eclipse Parking $20." Apparently everybody with an acre agreed that's the going rate.

Wow. I mean WOW.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

It just fell on me....I'm thinking and that's always a bad thing.....a REAL bad thing....folks are going to pull over on the highway wherever they are to get a look at it. Stopping out there beside the interstate, people milling around and gawking. And Speedball Tucker is going to come through there and....oh my. AND it'll be as dark as the inside of a cow (how Gomer Pyle knew how dark that is, I have no clue)....in the middle of the day...

Somebody's gonna get hurt. I hope I'm so very so far off-base wrong, but I foresee a recipe for disaster.
          When that happens it will be Trump's fault. Sorry for the brief dip into the political realm......I'll be good, promise.
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Well Robert and his buddy made it to Gearhead Inn and have scoped out a place in Andrews NC. I hope he gets his pictures, he's been planning this for several years.
            Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
            If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
              Apparently, "Blinded by the Light" came about when Columbia president Clive Davis, upon listening to an early version of Greetings from Asbury Park N.J., felt the album lacked a potential single. Springsteen wrote it and "Spirit in the Night" in response. "Spirit in the Night" was Manford Mann's first single.
              Kinda, sorta. Manfred Mann was around already in the early sixties with hit singles like "Do Wa Diddy" & "Quinn the Eskimo". Both covers, the latter a Bob Dylan song. When they became Manfred Mann's Earth Band in the early seventies they covered the Springsteen songs & I think, even recovered (is that possible?) Quinn the Eskimo for a movie. You might say that they made their living on covers. Oh, and the welding helmets are not a guaranteed safe ticket for eclipse viewing. Several stories here on the subject. Just saying.
              ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                Today we went up and did the Dragon and the Skyway in Red. Golly bum people are flocking up there and parked all along the side of the roads and hiking into the woods to camp, they're ALREADY there in huge numbers. We saw a mom and pop restaurant advertising "Solar Burgers." Every changeable sign along the way had some reference to the eclipse.
                Yeah, it's a big deal alright. For sure. I-75, TDOT has dragged out every roadside sign they have and probably rented some extras, "No parking on roadside during eclipse." Yeah, right, like they think absolutely nobody actually "won't."

Every open area beside the two-lane near the interstate has porta pottys set up and the sign "Eclipse Parking $20." Apparently everybody with an acre agreed that's the going rate.

Wow. I mean WOW.
                66 acres at the farm, 45 is fields.. KEEP THE FAWK OUT!
                8 is riverfront, found the lock cut, kicked the squatters out and parked the truck in the driveway..
                In town they closed off 5-6 blocks, SIL who is a cop wonders why as he patrols empty streets with only venders ...
                See wht 10 am brings.. Might have to take the shot gun with me.. Already cleaned a big contractor's bag with garbage!

Comment

San Diego 9:28 am; max to be at 10:23. Hope Bob's not fogged in or something. Gail's work is, she's pissed...might take an early lunch and drive to the hills.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07309.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	1171060

Comment

Here in NY 2:44 pm is supposed to be the darkest, about 71% light blocked. I'm at work so we'll be outside observing. I told my cats at home not to look out the windows between 12 and 4... fat chance... they are likely fast asleep.

Comment

Watching it right now on tv.......

not too clear with this dark glass......lol.

Comment

Just switched from Sky News to Fox......
                        weird reporting.

Comment

It just happened here. We were so cloudy that I could briefly look at it thru the clouds - about 91% with a sliver of sun still showing. Not much of a show here but I can say "I saw it!"

Dan

Comment

This is about all we got. Same as last time, what...five, ten years ago? IIRC we were north of totality that time, not south.

Let's see if everybody I loaned welding helmet glass things to remembers to give them back now...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07314.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	1171075

Comment

and during I walked into the bank where they were playing "darkside of the moon".... we've now seen it. No Pink Floyd though... lying musicians. They all lie. Every single one of them.
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Those are awesome pictures Loren!

How in the heck did you take them? I tried various methods, and apparently my equipment is "Pixel-Challenged". Got some pictures, but nothing with a crescent visible in it.

I ran home, took a few hour lunch, and watched with my boys. Fun stuff.
                                Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                                X