The Great Eclipse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    Sun goes dark at 9 am.... so what? I'm sorry, I've seen this before. whippersnappers. now get off my lawn!
    to hear the talkies tell it, the moon's orbit around the earth is elliptical. If there's a full eclipse when the moon is at apogee, it appears smaller from earth and even directly in front of the sun it doesn't completely cover it up, there's the "ring of fire" thing going on and it doesn't get completely dark outside.

This time the moon is closer to the earth and it'll black the sun out completely. Bats will come out. Day birds will go to roost. Dogs won't care and cats won't even notice.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Score! Man these things are for sure dark. Not suitable for driving.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000936.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	629.5 KB
ID:	1170555

Comment

of course, because the sun and moon are pulling on the same spot - there will be the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse so there is that - but as I said, boring, seen it before.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I held the glasses lens over the camera lens...the camera doesn't like it. In real life through the glasses the sun looks sorta dull, an orange disc, for sure can't see anything else. These are definitely the right tool.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000937.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	532.0 KB
ID:	1170562

Comment

don't do that. You could destroy your camera.....

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              don't do that. You could destroy your camera.....
              Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun
              But, mama, that's where the fun is

(Manfred Mann)

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun
                But, mama, that's where the fun is

(Manfred Mann)
                Well, actually Bruce Springsteen as made a hit by Manfred Mann and his Earth Band. (Why do I have a brain cell wasted with this trivia????)

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Well, actually Bruce Springsteen as made a hit by Manfred Mann and his Earth Band. (Why do I have a brain cell wasted with this trivia????)

Dan

Because you refuse to sell the Mustang and replace it with a Vega. You know, I have a 215 block/heads that I'd donate to the cause if you so desired to go that way...

Comment

....but....but...SBG is so into song remakes, how can one know the difference?

Comment

Apparently, "Blinded by the Light" came about when Columbia president Clive Davis, upon listening to an early version of Greetings from Asbury Park N.J., felt the album lacked a potential single. Springsteen wrote it and "Spirit in the Night" in response. "Spirit in the Night" was Manford Mann's first single.

Comment

Well.. Hell's Bells! It's THURSDAY.. 4 days before the great eclipse... Walmart had 6-8 cases of water on the shelves, 2 packages of toilet paper,
                        One station has no regular.. Diesel or super only..
                        All my drivers are full plus a 5 gallon can.. Got 4 gallons of mower gas. Probably overstocked...but? Never know
                        A small mountain town in the Cascades past Bend called Prineville has a 20 mile backup of traffic going into town and a friend who lives there says 3 of 5 stations have no gas.
                        Shitz is just gonna get worse!
                        Batten down the hatches, THAR SHE BLOWS.. Probably be a flop!

Saw a meme saying NASA miscalucated and the solar eclipse actually goes N to S over the east coast! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                          https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/...projector.html

Oughta be safe with this..
                          As for welding helmets, very dark ones and briefly look..
                          Glasses need "ISO" on them ..

We are right in the middle of the path.. Kids are having a party at the farm..
                          Supposed to be rainy and cloudy
                          As it always is when the persid showers happen...
                          We had a partial eclipse here when I was in junior high (1977-ish), the teachers handed out pieces of exposed film for us to peer through.
                          Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Time to stock up on milk and bread.......

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
                              Time to stock up on milk and bread.......
                              Too late.. Shelves empty as fast as they get stocked.. Ridiclous!

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post

Too late.. Shelves empty as fast as they get stocked.. Ridiclous!
                                It just fell on me....I'm thinking and that's always a bad thing.....a REAL bad thing....folks are going to pull over on the highway wherever they are to get a look at it. Stopping out there beside the interstate, people milling around and gawking. And Speedball Tucker is going to come through there and....oh my. AND it'll be as dark as the inside of a cow (how Gomer Pyle knew how dark that is, I have no clue)....in the middle of the day...

Somebody's gonna get hurt. I hope I'm so very so far off-base wrong, but I foresee a recipe for disaster.

Comment

Working...
                                X