Car Craft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

maybe if they made their readers who are doing these builds as contributors that problem could be mitigated?
    Ok. More details?

I have seen John do stories and it's time consuming when your working and taking pics while doing the articles. He has ask serveral people to contribute and some need work on grammar others need work on content and writing style, they don't make it sound interesting and others simiply don't contribute. That's why he relies on freelancers. Seems easy but it's not. If it was easy everyone be doing it. Have you submitted any stories for review?
    Last edited by ethelkilledfred; August 18, 2017, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ethelkilledfred View Post

Ok. More details?

Have you submitted any stories for review?
      As this is nothing more then an armchair discussion... my answer is based on such.

1) I don't do anything they're interested in.
      2) I'm not going to work for free
      3) I'm not going to waste my time submitting when there will be no feedback
      4) I've been in magazines and have 1 vehicle that is on perpetual hold because it's not what the magazines want right now

Explanation.
      1 - Magazines put vehicles in that people will see then buy off the newstand. In reality, that means C2 Corvettes, 6* Camaro, Fastback Mustangs and now - because TEN is Mopar's b*tch - some mopars. They will throw in the occasional shoebox but in reality the ones who love shoeboxes are a dying breed just like the ones who demanded 32 Ford Coupes. And seriously, magazines will throw a bone or two out there to people who don't do full mainstream but only if there's a tie-in with something someone is trying to sell.
      2 - I don't work for free, that means that I'm not spending the hours and dollars so that a magazine can do an article. They want quality work, they need to pay for it.
      3 - This is almost like number 2 but pointing out that payment doesn't have to be dollars. When I was in college, I was on a debate team and eventually ended up doing 'thought topics' for the college paper. This happened because the editor asked me to contribute, then stepped me through what I needed to do after all the mistakes. What came out wasn't anything like I submitted however, from there on out the editor simply had to do changes related to the space available. If magazines really wanted contributors they really should spend more time developing their bench.
      4 - A woman who throws herself at a man and will do anything for that man is a whore, what is a person who submits articles time and again but is ignored called? There is a photographer in my area who really wants to do a photoshoot with my FJ40 but he and I both agree that the only way that happens is if a magazine says yes. Of course, the magazine(s) won't say yes until they see a finished article. Who, exactly, is losing out?

So your first question - read back about the 427 build. I'm not spending my money on dyno-time, competing at a course or am I stopping building the deck on my house in the 'hopes' that it somehow makes it to print.

Years ago, one of the editors (I think it was actually Freiburger but not sure anymore) said that the way to get into magazines was to show up at car shows. I think that's kind of myopic because lots of cars that should be featured never stop long enough to sit in a parking lot.... there are tons of cars on forums that are feature worthy - and - Bangshift does that with their contributors. I suspect (though haven't done the legwork) that far more people view those cars then ever view them in a magazine.... means 2 things: 1) car shows only represent a small portion of what's going on in the car world, and 2) if you were a builder who wanted to get noticed - you would be sure you're on Bangshift's forum page not playing the feature lottery with the magazines.

Not just that, but just as NASCAR is now about the drivers not the cars, TEN jumped the tank and did the same thing. HRM has 650,000 subscribers per month. Roadkill has 3 million. One is about cars, the other about people....

so here's the tl;dr - Magazines are losing touch because they think they matter. Further, they are irrelevant to anyone who matters.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

This month's magazine featured all the editors and TV personality of MTOD vehicles. I get it when Hot Rod and Fashion Magazine does it... but I thought CC was for regular folks...
        The SBG curse?
        Musto's Monte Carlo stolen
        Last edited by Gateclyve Photographic; August 18, 2017, 04:04 PM.

Comment

I admit it, I had nothing to do with it and still have never watched the MTOD acting presence that is Mike Musto.

Comment

Couple of things:

I accept my fate, therefore you should be as helpless as I am.....
            That was not the message I was giving.

I don't work for free
            "Free", meaning you're getting no benefit or compensation for your effort? Having your name in a byline can be advertising (for yourself) that money can't buy. (Or of-course you could just be screwing yourself big-time, it depends on what you write and where it gets put.)

Can't find any links to the Four-Wheeler-of-the-year GM snub mentioned, seems Four Wheeler has Google giving only the results they want. Link?

Comment

Thank you for the opportunity to, again, prove I'm right

October 2017 page 8.

"... but GM declined to participate with any of its qualifying trucks...."

Funny, isn't it, how Four Wheeler failed to mention that in its FWOY article. You'd think that'd be important....

I don't need lights, advertising, or to screw myself. I'm good on all of that

Comment

Also having "sponsors" takes away your "direction". They feel they have the right to tell you where to go/do

Had sponsors for the cars.. "do this derby, don't do that one" got real old..
                Now the cars are pink with the roof signs... So I can see them in the arena and flappers on the exhaust so I know if they are running... All we need..

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
                  "Free", meaning you're getting no benefit or compensation for your effort? Having your name in a byline can be advertising (for yourself) that money can't buy.
                  No, you gotsa get paid if you're writing for a car magazine. . . .

Comment

"... but GM declined to participate with any of its qualifying trucks...."
                    Not to beat a dead horse, but that stuff's been going on for 70+ years. Tom McCahill sometimes had to finagle test cars before he became an institution that was too big to ignore. Another example . . . in 1966, Chrysler refused to supply Car and Driver any street Hemis for a "Detroit Supercar" comparison test because they believed (correctly) that CD couldn't police the rampant cheating that was going to occur. Fast forward a few years and Mopar's PR boss Moon Mullins was handing out whatever CD wanted for Brock Yates' Cannonball dashes or other foolishness. In the "new media", the old Top Gear often lampooned OEMs who wouldn't comp'em a test car to abuse.

Marketing "wisdom" comes and goes . . . GM will probably be begging journalists to take their vehicles for testing (when they think it benefits them).

That being said, the OEMs aren't spending as much on the kinds of print publications that most of us (dirty hands types) want to read, so SBG may be on to an emerging trend.

Comment

I think this is more then just "not having a fleet car for MT to destroy" .... the ZR2 is this year's model and that's a really big deal in the offroad world. Of course to the Jeep and occasional Toyota pickup magazine - they've made their bed. Wonder how their Chinese is?

Comment

As this is nothing more then an armchair discussion... my answer is based on such.

4) I've been in magazines and have 1 vehicle that is on perpetual hold because it's not what the magazines want right now

Explanation.
                        1 - Magazines put vehicles in that people will see then buy off the newstand. In reality, that means C2 Corvettes, 6* Camaro, Fastback Mustangs and now - because TEN is Mopar's b*tch - some mopars. They will throw in the occasional shoebox but in reality the ones who love shoeboxes are a dying breed just like the ones who demanded 32 Ford Coupes. And seriously, magazines will throw a bone or two out there to people who don't do full mainstream but only if there's a tie-in with something someone is trying to sell.
                        2 - I don't work for free, that means that I'm not spending the hours and dollars so that a magazine can do an article. They want quality work, they need to pay for it.
                        3 - This is almost like number 2 but pointing out that payment doesn't have to be dollars. When I was in college, I was on a debate team and eventually ended up doing 'thought topics' for the college paper. This happened because the editor asked me to contribute, then stepped me through what I needed to do after all the mistakes. What came out wasn't anything like I submitted however, from there on out the editor simply had to do changes related to the space available. If magazines really wanted contributors they really should spend more time developing their bench.
                        4 - A woman who throws herself at a man and will do anything for that man is a whore, what is a person who submits articles time and again but is ignored called? There is a photographer in my area who really wants to do a photoshoot with my FJ40 but he and I both agree that the only way that happens is if a magazine says yes. Of course, the magazine(s) won't say yes until they see a finished article. Who, exactly, is losing out?

So your first question - read back about the 427 build. I'm not spending my money on dyno-time, competing at a course or am I stopping building the deck on my house in the 'hopes' that it somehow makes it to print.

Years ago, one of the editors (I think it was actually Freiburger but not sure anymore) said that the way to get into magazines was to show up at car shows. I think that's kind of myopic because lots of cars that should be featured never stop long enough to sit in a parking lot.... there are tons of cars on forums that are feature worthy - and - Bangshift does that with their contributors. I suspect (though haven't done the legwork) that far more people view those cars then ever view them in a magazine.... means 2 things: 1) car shows only represent a small portion of what's going on in the car world, and 2) if you were a builder who wanted to get noticed - you would be sure you're on Bangshift's forum page not playing the feature lottery with the magazines.

Not just that, but just as NASCAR is now about the drivers not the cars, TEN jumped the tank and did the same thing. HRM has 650,000 subscribers per month. Roadkill has 3 million. One is about cars, the other about people....

so here's the tl;dr - Magazines are losing touch because they think they matter. Further, they are irrelevant to anyone who matters.
                        So I'm confused. In one post you say Car Craft should get contributions from its readers and in another you say you would not contribute unless you got paid. If Car Craft used your contribution they would pay you for it. So what's stopping you now from contributing. Yes you gave me 4 reasons but yet that contradicts having readers contribute to the mag.
                        My point is just like you don't feel the need to contribute, so do a lot of others doing builds. It's not easy getting contributions.

Comment

Back in 2004 I did some illustrations for Hot Rod,
                          I did get the impression they expected it, not for free, but very cheap.

Comment

Ok. Let me ask you this, what would you like to see in the pages of Car Craft. Just curious, I got nothing to do with CC. What are people doing and what sparks their interests. I'll start. I would like to see more info on EFI and how to install it. Also like to see the same with turbo and run it in a car like HRG did with Bonemaro. I got a project that's similar but with 1st gen SBC
                            Last edited by ethelkilledfred; August 21, 2017, 11:40 PM.

Comment

I feel your pain SBG. I used to keep at least 5 magazine subscriptions all the time.
                              They ranged from all car oriented, expanded to a MX or two, and later included high performance boating. I have zero subscriptions currently.
                              For several years I also recorded all of the "car shows" I could find. A year or so ago it occurred to me, I was wasting a LOT of time watching fake scripted drama and infomercials instead of getting my own stuff done. The shows and mags are all selling me something I don't want or can't afford. I turned off the satellite TV and quit renewing subscriptions.

Since that time I have finished several pesky lingering projects, including a home built CNC router for my wood shop, a boat transom replacement, and a kayak trailer build......

Now if I could just stay off of the internet :-)
                              A.K.A. Brian
                              Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
                                Back in 2004 I did some illustrations for Hot Rod,
                                I did get the impression they expected it, not for free, but very cheap.
                                That's the trend today.

Comment

Working...
                                X