Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the Worst Done Thing With Wrenches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the Worst Done Thing With Wrenches?

What I've done is less than zero nothing compared to what y'all real wrench guys must have undertaken over time. Mine's easy to declare- putting the blower on Red. WAY over my head but eventually it all came together and he actually cranked and he runs, even still. Thanks to our local neighborhood network of three and a whole lot of inspirational/technical help from BangShifters. Have I ever said I love BangShift? If I didn't say so I meant to. Just sayin.

Just thinking, and I'm not sure if there's been a subject line like this one but maybe so, what's the worst, the most hardest thing any of y'all have undertaken with wrenches and parts? There's GOT to be some great stories here. Just HAS to be.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

rebuilt an automatic transmission on the flatbed of the truck it belonged to using a library book for guidance(no internet back then}... now watching Sean mess with transmissions(Electronic overdrive ones) leaves me shaking my head with all the information available on the internet...
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I thought you meant worst thing done with wrenches.

I take the sharp edge of my 25 yr old estwing hammer and hit the sharp edge of my wrench.. hand keeping the wrench on the bolt/nut, absorbing vibration, my arm has some torque, the hammer has the breaker.

it is as good as a 450 ft pound ingersoll rand of old.

terrible habit.. I have done it more than once.

just did it the other day...
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Broke some head bolts off when I said, "Just a wee bit tighter".....
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Using screwdrivers as chisels......

Comment

First and last time I rebuilt a Quad Jet carb.....what a nightmare!
            Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
            The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
              First and last time I rebuilt a Quad Jet carb.....what a nightmare!
              A mighty whole lot of years ago, it's fading in memory, I thought I was gonna rebuild a carb on something, I can't even remember what or why. I got the parts, scattered them out on the table, looked at them....all I remember is looking at the parts....I took the parts back and gave up on that endeavor. That was like the tipping point, I KNEW I'm no mechanic. That's probably why I avoided tools and parts for a whole lot of years, I just declared right then that's not in my skill set. That's why I'm about 40 years behind, intimidated.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

My Mom or Sister used one of my Dad's favorite adjustable wrenches as a hammer, "to loosen the bolt" and cracked the frame, ruining a beautiful made in the USA 50's vintage wrench.

Comment

Going with the title, I'd say "Building Yugos".

Now the worst thing I've ever done with wrenches - You would need to look in my modified wrenches drawer. Bent, welded, mangled, you name it. But not my Snap-Ons!

Dan

Comment

Sometimes I think the worst thing I have ever done with a wrench is to pick it up.

Comment

Wrenches be clever little buggers....
                      Living in metric land and having an American car
                      which is 50/50 my toolbox is stuffed with both
                      types of wrench.
                      If I need a 14mm it'll hide behind a 3/4 or 13/16
                      and vise versa....they know how to frustrate me.

My runaway distributor clamp wrench only came home when I removed the transmission...that's
                      where it hid for years....on my tranny.

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
                        Wrenches be clever little buggers....
                        Living in metric land and having an American car
                        which is 50/50 my toolbox is stuffed with both
                        types of wrench.
                        If I need a 14mm it'll hide behind a 3/4 or 13/16
                        and vise versa....they know how to frustrate me.

My runaway distributor clamp wrench only came home when I removed the transmission...that's
                        where it hid for years....on my tranny.
                        are we getting confused with whitworth sizing?
                        In my tool box - the 14mm hides closer to the 9/16" stuff. Perhaps you are thinking 17mm?

Anyway, being a motorcycle deviant, I struggled more with my mid 60s Triumphs hardware than I do with the later jap stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

are we getting confused with whitworth sizing?
                          In my tool box - the 14mm hides closer to the 9/16" stuff. Perhaps you are thinking 17mm?

Anyway, being a motorcycle deviant, I struggled more with my mid 60s Triumphs hardware than I do with the later jap stuff.

The smaller gets behind the bigger.....they don't hang out with similar sizes.....I said they're clever.

Comment

ahhh - I get it now. I segregate my stuff - I don't let them hang out together - that would cause total anarchy!

Comment

Never had this happen....

Comment

Working...
                              X