Owls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owls

As we all know, owls and hotrodding go hand and hand.

Save the owls, buy a Suburban
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Last time I saw an owl that big, the neighbor had three chickens go "missing".
    Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Handsome owl, whoooever he is.

Dan

Comment

We've got Barred Owls and Red Shoulder Hawks all over this area.

Comment

This one's worth a re-post.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Ever been down in the woods late in the evening and hear a barn owl, it'll make your hair on the back of your neck stand up! Even if you know what it is.
            Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
            If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Woooooever he is, he gives a hoot.

Comment

no, he doesn't.... he's a screamer, not a hooter.

Comment

But seriously, it's sort of unusual to see one out in any kind of daylight at all. I wonder what's up with that?

Comment

not really. they tend to be out after about 3 pm and rest at 1 am or so (real party animals).

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                      not really. they tend to be out after about 3 pm and rest at 1 am or so (real party animals).
                      Either of which way, I wouldn't want to be a rat scurrying around on the ground during that timeframe. That'll cut your life plans real short and real quick. What's for dinner? Me.

Comment

now you understand why I put rabbit food out at 4 pm.... problem solved.

Comment

They tend to own an area.
                          long term has a stench.

I see them in daytime, walking trail.
                          always silent..

I am one to look at an owl being real quiet..as if to be hiding.
                          they got a wavelength or something.
                          Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I have a couple monster owls in my area. I have about an acre, most of it is natural desert so it is dense brush, cactus and small trees. I've been clearing a lot of it out, slowly over the last few weeks. last night I stumbled upon what I belive to be not just a simple pack rat nest but and advanced civilization of pack rats. The nest is about 3ft high, 10ft by 10ft. It is enormous by pack rat nest standards....

I was considering dumping rat poison all up inside that mofo but, I turned around and there was one of out resident owls flying from a palo verde to a mesquite. I decided I did not want to poison the rats because I didnt want to potentialy kill an owl. I can see why the coyote, owls and hawks hang around my yard so much...it is a smorgasbord of tasty rat flavored delectables...

From what I can tell, not being an expert in owls and owl related subjects, these guys are great horned owls. They are big when just sitting on a tree but when these buggers take flight...that wingspan is impressive, quite the sight.. The old house had burrowing owls all over, but there were not a lot of predators...they'd get snapped up like free candy where I live now.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

throw some hamburger on the rat's nest - 2 days, guaranteed, the nest and rats will be gone. It's interesting that rabbits and rats don't really put out a smell that animals can track - so they rely on movement. In many cases, that movement is concealed so you need to step in and give nature a hand... if you let the meat sit outside for a few hours, it'll create enough smell to solve the issue.

and I agree wholeheartedly with you - don't poison and kill the predators (or your dog for that matter)
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; July 19, 2017, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X